When do you front rangers usually mount the summers? Suggestions for a summer tire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When do you front rangers usually mount the summers? Suggestions for a summer tire?

Not that I'm getting anxious, but I need to start planning financially for it.

Considering the differing climates between Denver and some areas in the mountains, do a lot of people just use a really good A/S? I've always had a summer tire, but considering the areas I drive my car, I'm wondering if an A/S would be more appropriate.

I'm in the mountains every weekend, and in the summer, frequently drive on unimproved roads for hiking/biking access.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mid April

That's when many ski areas shut down. It's not uncommon for the mountains to get big snow in April. Last year we had a foot of snow on closing day at Breck.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Mid March was my goal but kept an eye on the weather

and tire rack has very good reviews and engine for selecting tires

Oh - and I was talking about driving on the front range not the mtns
Old 02-20-2009, 08:44 AM

Default Punxsutawney Phil told me he was only kidding, so I mounted my summers last weekend.

I run Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's in the spring/summer and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in the fall/winter. The A/S are more than capable up in the hills year round IMO. They are certainly not going to provide the same grip as performance oriented tires, but are an economical alternative to having multiple sets. Now my car looks awesome again
Old 02-20-2009, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Been on for a month
Old 02-20-2009, 08:54 AM

Default You're a meteorologist and should know that climatologically speaking, most of 'our' snow comes in

March/April.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My appreciation for good ski conditions thanks you for your hubris.

Hubris!
Old 02-20-2009, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ha. Yeah I should know that. I should also know not to speed and pee into the wind... but....

When are you done with school?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here's what I think...

I'll switch our cars over about mid April or earlier based on wx reports. From watching your posts and from what you just wrote you really need to get a set of dedicated snow tires for next winter. Both My wife's A6 4.2 and my A4 run summer and winter tires based on season and we don't get up into the mountains that much. She actually runs A/Ss in the summer and Hakka 2s in the winter. The best summer tire for all around performance has to be the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s. The Wintah Beatah has Conti Sport Contact 2s, as an experiment, and in my opinion are not as good as the Goodyears. The Green Monstah has Bridgestone RE040s because the Goodyears are not available in 255/35-18.

Hap, wit dakine tireless involvement not from Evahboost, Maguire
Old 02-20-2009, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've got Nokian RSis mounted now for winter :)

I was just curious as to what the more utility minded drivers out there are using for a summer tire. Seems like there is a good majority of front rangers that don't make it into the mountains as often. I'm planning on 19" CHs so I should probably go with a good summer instead of an A/S. Maybe that will keep me driving slower on the crappy roads

Do you still fly much? I think this summer I am going to try to get current again and maybe start working towards an instrument rating.

Quick Reply: When do you front rangers usually mount the summers? Suggestions for a summer tire?