Complete NOOB here...with many questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete NOOB here...with many questions!

I've spent the several hours of downtime (very rare) reading threads and posts. I joined awhile back, but haven't had the chance to be a part of AW actively. (until now hopefully)

I have a 2007 RS4 which i'm trying to sell right now. ( http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1145522677.html ) I don't want to part with this beauty/beast, but have too many cars and BILLS. I'm too upside down on my SUV or that would be leaving the garage instead. However, i'm going to keep trucking on as if it were not for sale, because I can make it by (barely).

Questions: (If you all would be so gracious to provide your experienced input!)
- I may be in the need of new brake pads. Recommendations?? I've been looking around quite a bit (Ferodo, Hawk HPS, Carbotech, Centric Posi Quiet, EPS, etc.)
- I am losing my mind wanting to deepen and louden (don't think thats a word!) my exhaust note. It's sublime already, but i'm looking to make it louder and more pronounced. Based on youtube postings, I love the sound of Fast intentions and Milltek the most. However, I can get a Magnaflow cat-back for about $700! Mag sounds pretty good, just not as good as the previous two. Thoughts & Suggestions?!? (Anyone parting with their aftermarket exhaust? Brian/CanyonRS4 - I got with you on email awhile back...still keeping the Milltek's on it?
- I am about to purchase new tires, was going to give a potential buyer of the RS $1000 cash toward whatever they want since it's such a personal decision, but I don't think I can wait for a buyer any longer. I'm torn between General UHP's and Sumitomo HTR's. Anyone have experience with these??

I have more questions, but that's what the forum is for, conversations and networking. I'll leave some for later, don't want to overdue it on my first thread! And on that note, if I haven't used proper forum etiquette feel free to let me know. Thanks in advance to all my fellow AUDI enthusiasts in the Rockies!

Evan/Rs4ockies

(P.S. Congrats on the new beast Phantom RS...too bad we couldn't make a deal. You'll love and enjoy the crap outta that car...cheers!)
Old 05-01-2009, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey Evan.. Thanks! Yeah, no sweat. It was a pleasure talking to you, even if we didn't come to a deal. I still wish you luck!

Paul
Old 05-04-2009, 06:52 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rs4ockies

Questions: (If you all would be so gracious to provide your experienced input!)
- I may be in the need of new brake pads. Recommendations?? I've been looking around quite a bit (Ferodo, Hawk HPS, Carbotech, Centric Posi Quiet, EPS, etc.)
- I am losing my mind wanting to deepen and louden (don't think thats a word!) my exhaust note. It's sublime already, but i'm looking to make it louder and more pronounced. Based on youtube postings, I love the sound of Fast intentions and Milltek the most. However, I can get a Magnaflow cat-back for about $700! Mag sounds pretty good, just not as good as the previous two. Thoughts & Suggestions?!? (Anyone parting with their aftermarket exhaust? Brian/CanyonRS4 - I got with you on email awhile back...still keeping the Milltek's on it?
- I am about to purchase new tires, was going to give a potential buyer of the RS $1000 cash toward whatever they want since it's such a personal decision, but I don't think I can wait for a buyer any longer. I'm torn between General UHP's and Sumitomo HTR's. Anyone have experience with these??
Hawk HPS are a great aggressive street pad in most applications.

We've installed a few Milltek systems and I have some experience with Labree as well, both very nice both in terms of quality and sound. Happy to discuss options with you either way if you like.

I ran the Sumi HTRZ3 last summer and really enjoyed them. They have a slightly softer side wall than some of the other tires out there, but on the street I think they are hard to beat for the dollar.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Brian sold his car unfortunately, not sure if he's still on here.

I believe Matt (another local) has the same exhaust if you want to hear it in person. Sounds incredible, I miss hearing him blast by my office when he opened it up. ;-)
Old 05-05-2009, 04:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GollyGwagen (Chuck)
Brian sold his car unfortunately, not sure if he's still on here.

I believe Matt (another local) has the same exhaust if you want to hear it in person. Sounds incredible, I miss hearing him blast by my office when he opened it up. ;-)
Chuck,

Thanks for the reply. Brian opened the door for me to hear it awhile back, but I rarely get down to that side of town. Very sad day that he had to part ways...hopefully he's looking for another 4ring!

I'm assuming you're talking about Milltek, which I believe is what Brian had? Is Matt's (or was Brian's) a full Milltek or just cat-back?
Old 05-05-2009, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Phantom RS
Hey Evan.. Thanks! Yeah, no sweat. It was a pleasure talking to you, even if we didn't come to a deal. I still wish you luck!

Paul
Paul...thanks for the reply. Hows the RS?!? I put on probably 1000 miles the first weekend I owned mine. If I could have slept comfortably in it, I would have! ;-)
Old 05-05-2009, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think they both have the full Miltek without resonators and non-valved. Either way, they were both equally loud and wonderful to listen too.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rs4ockies
Paul...thanks for the reply. Hows the RS?!? I put on probably 1000 miles the first weekend I owned mine. If I could have slept comfortably in it, I would have! ;-)
Well, I did about twice as many miles in my first weekend... I drove it back from Florida! Since you are in the profession you are in, I assure you I never once went over the speed limit on the way back!

It's indeed a great car, lots of fun. Now that I own one I seem to see them more on the streets, which is odd as I obviously was looking for them before as well. Yesterday I saw three within an hour, and I had never seen two in the same day in Denver before.

BTW, have you done the "Golf Tee Mod" to your exhaust so your exhaust flaps are always open? I did that over the weekend and it definitely helps with the deepening and the loudening (just to stretch that made up word a little more).

Last edited by Phantom RS; 05-05-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Phantom RS
Well, I did about twice as many miles in my first weekend... I drove it back from Florida! Since you are in the profession you are in, I assure you I never once went over the speed limit on the way back!

It's indeed a great car, lots of fun. Now that I own one I seem to see them more on the streets, which is odd as I obviously was looking for them before as well. Yesterday I saw three within an hour, and I had never seen two in the same day in Denver before.

BTW, have you done the "Golf Tee Mod" to your exhaust so your exhaust flaps are always open? I did that over the weekend and it definitely helps with the deepening and the loudening (just to stretch that made up word a little more).
Awesome...bet that was a VERY enjoyable road trip! You don't have to explain your adherence to posted signs along the roadway, i'm confident you are a slow lane driver! Why else would you make such a sensible purchase

Thats crazy you've spotted that many. I never see any on the north side of town. I saw one about six months ago and thats it!! And I drive all day long all over the place. I guess there aren't many on on the north side of town.

Oh, i've not heard of the "golf tee mod"?!? You'll definitely have to give me the skinny on that one. I'm guessing it has to do with jamming the valve to remain open constantly. Sounds harsh...hopefully it isn't?? Can't believe I hadn't heard of this. ;-)
Old 05-07-2009, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey Evan:

For the Golf Tee Mod, you can do a quick search in the RS4 forum on here for it, but it does NOT involve jamming open the valves. Since the valves are open normally, and require activation via vacuum tubes to close, all you do is remove the vacuum tubes from the valve and plug them with a golf tee so you don't have a vacuum leak. I used an appropriately sized screw instead of a golf tee, and put some rubber vacuum seals over the top for good measure.

Here's one of several posts on how to do it:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...t=golf+tee+mod

It's probably the most common RS4 mod, as it is so easy to do. It took me about five minutes.

There is also the "de-flap" mod which is somewhat more controversial. I have not done it yet, but it will also result in more sound based stimulation via the intake rather than the exhaust.

Spend some time in the RS4 forums and you'll find lots of this stuff.

And I am probably seeing so many RS4s as I drive all the way through Cherry Hills Village on my way to work each morning. That might have a little something to do with it. Man, I love the RS4 in Imola, but I could never have such a "look at me" color.

Paul

Last edited by Phantom RS; 05-07-2009 at 07:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Complete NOOB here...with many questions!