Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

Interesting comments from a Porsche Turbo Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting comments from a Porsche Turbo Owner

Last night, I met a business acquaintance and we drove each others cars. He has a 2007 911 Turbo - I believe that he has owned 8 or so Porsche's so he really knows his way around great cars. I was looking forward to his thoughts since I was a sports car virgin prior to getting the R8.

He was VERY impressed with the R8 - we both drive 6 speed manuals. He has followed the R8 development from the beginning and said that is "everything that he thought it would be", which pi$$es him off since now he wants one. One of the other themes was how it got the job done without a lot of drama - this was related to how the car just points and goes where you tell it. He is a real German car guy but really liked the Italian influence in the R8 - for example he was very enthusiastic about the gated shifter. He also really liked the layout and look of the cockpit - "not overdone". People are pressuring him to move into a Lambo and said there would be now way after seeing what the R8 delivers.

From my perspective, the raw power of the turbo is something to behold, and I really was impressed at how I was instantly at home with the 6 speed transmission. Two great vehicles.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My father has a 997TT and he really enjoyed the R8 when I took him out in it...

wasn't able to let him drive it, as its a press fleet car, but from the passanger seat he had fun. His car is a Tip (which is amazing on the Turbo) and the R8 was R-Tronic (I would prefir 6MT)...he really enjoyed it alot....from the interior to the exhaust. He of course did miss the power of the Turbo in straight line shots...but none the less he enjoyed it!

I doubt he will ever go with an R8....he is now into the Lambo rhelm. Unlike the gentleman you talk about, my father is all about a LP-560-4 being next and planning as such.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I gotta try an R8 sometime...

As a former Audi (S4) driver and now a 911 (996) Turbo one, I've been very impressed by all I've heard about the R8. Also, I've seen two on the road recently and they are probably the most eye catching car out there, excepting, IMHO, the Ferrari 430 and 599. Looks aside, I'm definitely curious about the driving experience, particularly how they handle - though my level of driving skill won't enable me to appreciate the subtle advantages the R8 may offer. I have to say, though, that I really do like my Turbo. After about six months I still marvel at how it accelerates - seeming to almost pop a wheelie when I floor it. And driving one that's a convertible during the Seattle summer is a sublime experience.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just curious, did you drive any 997TT when you were looking. I just sold my Stg3+ B5 and am

deciding between the 996 and 997 turbo's for my next project/fun car. (Although reading this forum makes me think about the R8). There is a substantial difference in the price due to the gap in production years, and I'm wondering if the the extra coin is worth it. I have driven 2 996TT but no 997 yet.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The 997TT is a totally diffrent car then the 996 and IMO well worth the price diffrence.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Nope...

In retrospect that would have been a good idea as there is a performance jump with the 997TT. Not too huge, but it is there.

But because I wasn't seriously looking at 911s, let alone turbos, I didn't really investigate the 997TT. The specific one I bought suddenly became available and I wanted to act quickly due to the type of 996TT it was.

As you point out, there is a substantial price difference between the 997TT and the 996TT. My dealer has a CPO'd 2008 Black 997TT with 10.5K miles available for $130K. That's substantially more than what I paid for my 2005 Turbo S. They also recently had a 2007 Guards Red with about 5K miles available for $129K.

Either way, you'll be getting an excellent car. And modding it will get you large gains in performance.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Interesting comments from a Porsche Turbo Owner

I had a 997tt and changed it to the r8.

R8 is more useable on the road and in my opinion more fun,the 997 is a bit too clinical and the lack of a good engine/exhaust note and the overwhelming tyre roar seriously detracted from it.However it is a stunning car.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I gotta try an R8 sometime...

Whippy Daddy offerred: "....probably the most eye catching car out there, excepting, IMHO, the Ferrari 430 and 599. "

Well for one very unscientific data point, I stopped by Elway's in Cherry Creek a couple of nights ago for a quick bite. Valeted the car, and sat at a table on the patio with a view of the valet lot. Shortly after parking the R8, a Black Ferrari 360 Spyder pulled in and was parked by the R8. There were also at least 3 new Porsche 997 Twin Turbos, a GT3, a Bentley and an Aston Martin in the valet lot. While siting and sipping a fine glass of wine, I got to watch a pretty steady stream of people arrive and walk in to Elways. By my rough count, the R8 easily got far more attention than the Ferrari Spyder, or any other of the cars in the lot combined. Whatever else the R8 may be, it is a head turner.

Cheers, mlp