I had my first "barn find" today (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If it ran, I would'nt spend more than $3k on it...

but that's what we spent on our UrQ, and I was at least able to drive it home!

If he just wants it gone though, it'd be a steal at $1k or less! Kind of like the one I tried to buy a few years back at an auction down near Atlanta. Unfortunately someone that knew about the car was there and kept outbidding everyone from what I was told
Old 02-20-2009, 05:12 AM

Default Re: Yeah, I was a little late on that one.

Hi Eric. Nice to see my old URQ again....John
Old 02-20-2009, 10:43 AM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I was hoping a thousand or less....I have never attempted fixing up a car.

So the less the start the better!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I can't imagine an urq is a good place to get your feet wet, especially an early one with vhtf parts

the old adage used to be that you should find the nicest one you can afford and buy it, because parts, if available, are certainly not cheap, and you rarely ever recoup the $ invested fixing up a car anyway if you have to sell it.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hey John!

Glad to see you're still around on the Audi side. Your car leads a pampered life in the N Ga mountains. Tom took it to Mid-O that one year, but since then it's just taken out for recreational drives in nice weather.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:56 PM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If there is a chance it runs, then it might be worth it.

The interior is really nice for its age also. No work would really need to be done inside.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:42 PM

Default Yeah I'm really glad Tom got it. I can't think of a better home for it....

I still lurk here & on the SE forum......
Old 02-20-2009, 10:57 PM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, so far no answer.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:05 PM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default update

Talked to him on the phone today. He was wanting a thousand for it. I didn't try to talk him down as I'm on the fence. He said the engine ran when he parked it, but the clutch was out. And now that is been sitting, the mice have gotten under the hood and chewed on some hoses. I'd like to go take a good look, but am still on the fence. Is it worth a thousand?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I think so.

$1000 seems like a reasonable price for the car, given the condition. That's not to suggest the seller won't sell it for less, but that it's a price I would pay for that car. It is, however, only the initial cost and you'll need to spend plenty of money and, if you choose to undertake this little endeavor yourself, time, getting it running.

With any car that has been sitting since '91 and that clearly hasn't been stored appropriately, there are some risks you face. You'll most likely want to change the timing belt, for example, before you even considering trying to turn the engine over.

Rust may be a significant issue, considering it's parked against a wall. I'm restoring a Renault that was parked against a fence since 1991 (curiously, the same year) and the side along the fence is significantly more rusted than the other. Given the rarity of those flared front fenders, that would be a concern. Because this car is definitely pre-'85, there's no chance that it was galvanized, either.

But all that doesn't matter if you really like the car. As everyone has alluded to, the UrQ is nothing short of incredible. (There are 368 views of the pictures you posted!) It's just a question of whether it's worth it to you.

No, I don't own an UrQ, but if I had found this one, I would have bought it.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: I had my first "barn find" today (pics)