Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Wheel Change Mode for 2021 SQ7 with Air Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Wheel Change Mode for 2021 SQ7 with Air Suspension

I see that there is a "wheel change" soft switch in the MMI. What does it do?

I looked it up in the manual, it didn't say much... It didn't even say that I needed to turn it off after changing a wheel.

I understand that you need to set this to on when you change a wheel (as described by the manual), but what does it do? Does it discharge the air or increase the air in the suspension? And for what purpose?

So, I have two floor jacks that I use to rotate tires front and back. Typically, with all my other cars, I just jack up the front and back together on one side of the car, then swap the wheels/tires. If I wanted to do that for the SQ7, do I need to set this "wheel change" mode first? (Thus I need to understand what this does.)

Old 08-28-2021, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you play around with the wheel change mode while you are parked and step in and out of the car you will see the body of the car raise up when you activate it. I believe it is just to relieve pressure on the air suspension when you have the car jacked up with the wheels hanging on the suspension.
Just got my own SQ7 last month and I am also exploring these type of things myself.
I like to do my own oil changes and I am still trying to figure out where the oil filter is located.
I also want to find where I can get a dipstick to add to the car. I had a 2018 Q7 and I was able to get one for that car but so far no luck with the SQ7
The following users liked this post:
ywang98 (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,174 Likes on 917 Posts

Wheel change mode in the service menu is to keep the car from trying to self-level when you are working on it. When you jack up the car (especially one corner), you do not want it trying to level out. Tire change, brake work, etc. If you put it on a lift it does not matter as much...
The following 2 users liked this post by mhoran89:
Frustratedq77 (08-30-2021), ywang98 (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the answers!

I have not pulled the engine cover off yet to look at the dipstick location or the oil filter location. If you can't find the oil filter on top, maybe it's on the bottom like older cars?
Old 08-30-2021, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The dipstick location I know…….. low down on the passenger side of engine. There is a yellow cover over where you could have a dipstick. It’s not the easiest place to get to. The problem really is there doesn’t seem to be a dipstick available to buy for this engine yet.
The filter I will find when I get a chance to get the car on a lift and remove all the covers under the engine. I am just hoping it’s located up high and the type you can remove without draining all the oil like other modern Audi/VW.
I like changing the oil using a vacuum extractor by pulling the oil out from the dipstick location. It saves having to jack up the car and remove the covers under the engine.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also wished that the filter is high up like the S5 and the RS5. It's much easier to removed/replace without opening the bottom covers if you used suction method to suck the oil out.

For the dipstick, I use a factory tool-like stick that you set a reading on one side, then get a reading of oil on the other side. I imagine this will work with this motor as well.
Old 09-06-2021, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Dipstick for SQ7

I am not familiar with the type of dipstick you refer to.
Any chance you can post something on that or where do I get one.
Thank you in advance
Old 09-07-2021, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 792 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Frustratedq77
I am not familiar with the type of dipstick you refer to.
Any chance you can post something on that or where do I get one.
Thank you in advance
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dipstick-...8/113939227191
Old 11-01-2023, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frustratedq77
If you play around with the wheel change mode while you are parked and step in and out of the car you will see the body of the car raise up when you activate it. I believe it is just to relieve pressure on the air suspension when you have the car jacked up with the wheels hanging on the suspension.
Just got my own SQ7 last month and I am also exploring these type of things myself.
I like to do my own oil changes and I am still trying to figure out where the oil filter is located.
I also want to find where I can get a dipstick to add to the car. I had a 2018 Q7 and I was able to get one for that car but so far no luck with the SQ7
omg I just changed my wheels for winter and didn’t know I had to do this. I can’t imagine what could have happened if it started self leveling with a single corner raised with a jack.

is there a place to tell the vehicle which size wheel and tires you have on and thats its winter wheels like in BMW?
Old 11-02-2023, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

someone in OBD11 there is an area to update your wheel size but nothing within the MMI

Quick Reply: Wheel Change Mode for 2021 SQ7 with Air Suspension