Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

What's the point of the Virtual Cockpit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I may butt-in and ask... is it actually confirmed the VC is rending 60 frames per second? In my experience it just doesn't seem that smooth. Acceptable, but not buttery smooth.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Psy Wagon
If I may butt-in and ask... is it actually confirmed the VC is rending 60 frames per second? In my experience it just doesn't seem that smooth. Acceptable, but not buttery smooth.
Wow, i didn't know this was important. It's not like this is a gaming rig, and how long do you need to stare at it to determine if it's smooth enough.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gsobol
Wow, i didn't know this was important. It's not like this is a gaming rig, and how long do you need to stare at it to determine if it's smooth enough.
They are boasting it is 60fps so I was curious if there were any instrument tests to show that it actually was. The several cars I have driven with the VC didn't appear to be as smooth as claimed... wasn't sure if I was just in units that needed an update or if they are all like that.

Don't worry about why I care if you can't even answer the question.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

They are boasting it is 60fps so I was curious if there were any instrument tests to show that it actually was. The several cars I have driven with the VC didn't appear to be as smooth as claimed... wasn't sure if I was just in units that needed an update or if they are all like that.

Don't worry about why I care if you can't even answer the question.
You are right, I can't provide the answer to the fps question. However, as you probably know, there could be other issues (predominantly software) that could cause hick ups in the GPU.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

I don't know why it wouldn't be. 60 fps is pretty standard. The system uses a Nvidia GPU. You might be reading too much into smoothness based solely on frames per second. If the software doesn't render the animations smoothly, then no frame rate will make it smooth. The frame rate just determines how often per second the video buffer is read and transferred to the display, but there is application software that has to fill the video buffer with useful content and if the calculations for the animations are interrupted or the system is taxed because for example GPS navigation is running in the background, then things can still stutter. There is the frame rate for the video buffer and then there is the frame rate at which the software can render an entire new frame. I don't think Audi is referring to the latter when touting 60 fps. I believe they mean the video buffer frame rate, which only means that the VC doesn't appear to flicker to the human eye or that it can keep up with the software rendering new frames.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-08-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:29 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Here is why I like VC

Virtual Cockpit is quite nice... especially with two map views available. Here is a shot (taken at night in the rain... YES it rains in California). It shows the entire route view on the right, and my local "google earth" view on the left, plus all the other misc things like speed, tach, fuel, radio station, comfort setting, time, cruse control, current speed limit sign, plus more... yes, some of this is duplicated on the right, but who cares. Also, (not captured here) the Heads Up Display shows some duplicate info including the driving and turn instructions.
Virtual cockpit in Q7 Prestige showing Google Earth view
Old 01-08-2018, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by timshuwy
Virtual Cockpit is quite nice... especially with two map views available. Here is a shot (taken at night in the rain... YES it rains in California). It shows the entire route view on the right, and my local "google earth" view on the left, plus all the other misc things like speed, tach, fuel, radio station, comfort setting, time, cruse control, current speed limit sign, plus more... yes, some of this is duplicated on the right, but who cares. Also, (not captured here) the Heads Up Display shows some duplicate info including the driving and turn instructions.
Virtual cockpit in Q7 Prestige showing Google Earth view

While this is extremely cool and useful, ever since I started using Android Auto (I find google's traffic database and driving instructions much better than any car maker's, especially disappointing on Q7 since Audi advertises "google earth" but then it turns out it only uses images not traffic or driving instructions for google), I can't take full advantage of this very useful dual map function on my VC. Android auto disables car's navigation or even map display, which is very annoying, because for some reason Google thinks you don't need two maps.. I can understand google disabling on-board navigation, but at least we should be able to see the map if want to.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
While this is extremely cool and useful, ever since I started using Android Auto (I find google's traffic database and driving instructions much better than any car maker's, especially disappointing on Q7 since Audi advertises "google earth" but then it turns out it only uses images not traffic or driving instructions for google), I can't take full advantage of this very useful dual map function on my VC. Android auto disables car's navigation or even map display, which is very annoying, because for some reason Google thinks you don't need two maps.. I can understand google disabling on-board navigation, but at least we should be able to see the map if want to.
Thats because "Google Earth" and "Google Maps" are two different applications. When you use Google Maps on your Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, it provides traffic updates in addition to navigation. On the other hand, Google Earth (as part of Audi Connect Prime) only provides 3D imagery of your route when using navigation. The traffic update on MMI is provided via INRIX.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:48 AM
Banned

Some may not see the value but the VC is one of my favorite features. Would like to see it more customizable but it does have some "wow" factor
Old 01-09-2018, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sr007
Thats because "Google Earth" and "Google Maps" are two different applications. When you use Google Maps on your Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, it provides traffic updates in addition to navigation. On the other hand, Google Earth (as part of Audi Connect Prime) only provides 3D imagery of your route when using navigation. The traffic update on MMI is provided via INRIX.
Hate how Audi decided to provide traffic through INRIX (now integrated with Audi Connect Prime) vs Sirius XM. My 2012 Audi A6 traffic went through Sirius XM which I gladly paid $5/month for. Audi Connect Prime is over priced for what it provides.

Any way to go through INRIX and pay them directly for traffic services?

Last edited by dht34; 01-09-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Quick Reply: What's the point of the Virtual Cockpit?