Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Trunk Opening Randomly

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mesquite77
2 things to look at, from my tail light experience with mine at dealer:

1) There is a sensor in the tailgate latch on bottom, and according to my dealer, if debris (pine needles etc.) gets in there it will cause problems with the tailgate, they had a TSB on it.

2) There are 2 rubber bump stops on each side of the tailgate, that your can screw in or out that adjust how far down the tailgate goes, if they are too far out, maybe it is not latching completely. My dealer also said that was my problem (it wasn't).

In my case, they tried to blame all these easy things, when it was actually a faulty control module, took 3 trips for them to figure it out, so be prepared...
My trunk is randomly opening. What control module did you replace? Part number?
Old 09-16-2021, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same problem with my Audi Q7 too..

[QUOTE=rinaic;25114881]Anyone have issues with their trunk?

I've had the Q7 about 6 months. The same problem occured multiple times. But I think it is due to where you park your car. I park it on a parklot with some bushes on the back side. And there're a lot of cats walking around. I think something triggers the back door. But I'll make it check on my next service appointment.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I’ve concluded that it’s due to poorly design key so when it’s in your pocket the truck button gets pressure from other keys and open. I asked my dealer to program a 3 second delay on the trunk release button. It has been working so far.
The following users liked this post:
Kayabay (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by V13T
I’ve concluded that it’s due to poorly design key so when it’s in your pocket the truck button gets pressure from other keys and open. I asked my dealer to program a 3 second delay on the trunk release button. It has been working so far.
same. Has not happened since the dealer reprogrammed.
The following users liked this post:
Kayabay (09-16-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BigKutta
My biggest fear is this trunk opening and hitting the garage door, so i never ever keep the key in my pocket when at home. If you are sure that you couldn't have caused this issue, you should pursue this with Audi, although I 'm not sure how you convince them unless you can replicate
The first time this happened with my 2015 Q7 (purchased used in 2019) was while driving on the highway. It suddenly got very loud and I realized that the tailgate had opened. The key fob was in the handle of the car door, so not sure how the tailgate button would have been triggered. It has since happened twice in our driveway with both key fobs hung up, so really not likely human error. My husband thought I was crazy until he saw it happen today.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:25 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Had an "Oh ****" moment the other day. Wife and I are on a 4K mile road trip. Stopped to get some lunch, came out 30 minutes later, tail gate wide open! I could clearly see my backpack, which contained my USAF government laptop. Would have been so easy for someone to walk off with it, or any other piece of luggage. I'm guessing it was open the entire time. Whew!
Old 07-05-2022, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q8 2019

I’ve had my trunk randomly open multiple times while driving at high speeds.This is a huge safety concern for me and my family. I’ve reported to my advisor previously and nothing fixed. Also to note my trunk doesn’t open w swipe of foot. They have replaced a part in the past, but is happening again.
Audi hold time currently is 4 hours!
not a happy Audi Customer
Old 07-05-2022, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Good Lord! What if the dog is back there and gets thrown out? At 90 MPH? Guess they have to ride in their kennels that are strapped in but what a pain for a one mile trip to the vet.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 792 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Getitdone1
I’ve had my trunk randomly open multiple times while driving at high speeds.This is a huge safety concern for me and my family. I’ve reported to my advisor previously and nothing fixed. Also to note my trunk doesn’t open w swipe of foot. They have replaced a part in the past, but is happening again.
Audi hold time currently is 4 hours!
not a happy Audi Customer
You can try to deactivate the tailgate opening function with the remote control key fob. There are such adaptations in the comfort module (46). Your Audi dealer should be able to do this.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
You can try to deactivate the tailgate opening function with the remote control key fob. There are such adaptations in the comfort module (46). Your Audi dealer should be able to do this.
Having had enough of random trunk openings, I tried to code the changes via OBD11 - but the comfort module (46) does not have any timing values for the rear lid - I searched in vain. Any ideas? I am using the iOS voltas OBD11 dongle.

Quick Reply: Trunk Opening Randomly