Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tires and SOS question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

They've been "temporarily out of stock" for months!

Old 10-18-2020, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss
The Pilot Sport 4 is an Ultra-High Performance summer tire, so you'll need something else for the winter depending on where you live. It's the little brother of the 4S. The 4 is mainly for smaller sizes and the 4S for the larger sizes and the 4S performs higher. Either one is a bit of an overkill for a Q7 quite frankly. These tires are meant for performance cars. They are soft for maximum grip and with a car as heavy as the Q7 you may get maybe 10k miles out of them. I had the 4S on my 2013 RS5 and have it now on my 2019 C63S Coupe. Awesome tire, and made for cars like this. Pretty much the best street performance tire with great wet performance in addition to excellent dry performance, and amazing handling and steering response, but I also only get around 12k miles out of them. Totally worth it to me, but not necessarily to somebody else.
I have Pilot Sport 4S on my S5 - great tires. I'm okay with limited tread wear.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

I hated the Pirelli run-flats as well. I just replaced them last month with the new Pilot Sport All-season 4, in the OEM 285/45 R20 size. Of course new tires always feel good, but I absolutely LOVE them compared to the Pirelli and the Goodyears before those. They are quiet, have a nice ride, and handle very well. I can't say how noisy they are later in their tread or how well they will wear, but so far I am happy I got them. I had to replace the Pirelli with some usable tread left because they were so loud and the ride was so rough.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought they were OK for an all round tyre (I do not do winter and summer changes - too much faffing about) in the UK wet weather and travelling in France (generally dry) and Switzerland (snow). I have done 56K in the car that has just gone back with maybe 40% wear left on the second set.

On the new one, I have factory fitted Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2 SUV (285 35 22) and it will be interesting to see how they fare by comparison - not sure they are going to be very good in a wet muddy field as they are more of a summer tyre whereas I normally would have an all weather tyre all year round. I will use these until they need replacing and then probably go back to the Scorpian Verde.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So spent this morning emailing my tire shop. They say that for 19 inch wheels, it's either the Michelin Premier or the Pirelli Scorpion Verde (run flat or regular). I have the Premiers on my minivan and hate them. My Q7 is my first luxury car and I never could have imagined how difficult it would be to get a set of decent tires. I guess I'll go with the Pirelli's again, even though I'm only getting about a year out of them.

When I look to replace the Q, I'm definitely looking for a car that has a spare. If the X7 and GLS can do it, Audi can.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:59 AM
Abidi51214

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever since i upgraded tire size from 20" to 21" i feel like the car floats when driving on cracks and then i have to make sure it gets back in the lane. Is this normal behavior?
Old 10-20-2020, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,180 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by billsfan
So spent this morning emailing my tire shop. They say that for 19 inch wheels, it's either the Michelin Premier or the Pirelli Scorpion Verde (run flat or regular). I have the Premiers on my minivan and hate them. My Q7 is my first luxury car and I never could have imagined how difficult it would be to get a set of decent tires. I guess I'll go with the Pirelli's again, even though I'm only getting about a year out of them.

When I look to replace the Q, I'm definitely looking for a car that has a spare. If the X7 and GLS can do it, Audi can.
How many miles are you driving annually on your Q7?
Old 10-20-2020, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The lack of spare tire on family trips has always bothered me. Driving around town or work road trips by myself didn’t bother me. I just rotated the Q7 to my wife and bought a different larger SUV with spare that we will use for family trips. Going on ski trip last year with no cell service and no spare was something I said I wouldn’t do again.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:15 PM

Default Amazon Prime Tire Delivery is Awesome!

Old 10-22-2020, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,180 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
That thing came in hot! Looks like complete wheel bearing failure due to it smoking after it rang the door bell.

Quick Reply: Tires and SOS question