Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tires and SOS question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tires and SOS question

2017 Q7. 46k miles. I'm on my second set of pirelli run flats and hate them. I do a lot of driving in rural areas. I am thinking of getting Michelin Pilot Sport , which are not run flats. Two questions: (1) Anyone have experience with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and like 'em? (2) If I get stuck somewhere and press the SOS, will Audi tow the car?
Old 10-17-2020, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

1) My '17 had Conti DWS06 in 20" (275/45) and I thought they were a great tire. Would be an alternative to the Michelins
2) Depends on the status of your roadside assistance coverage which is 4 yr. Buy a AAA membership and read the fine print as to the tow distances.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,179 Likes on 921 Posts

If you are referring to Pilot Sport 4 A/S I am sure it is an awesome tire. I have had great success with PS 3 + A/S and that tire is replacing that... I also love Conti DWS06 but I am a michelin fan boy but they did not have an option last year when I looked to replace dreaded run-flats.

Per usual and many other threads here... you should be looking to run 275/45/20 on OEM 20s and they will fit perfect.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

scorpian verde were great for me got 30k out of the first set
Old 10-18-2020, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89
If you are referring to Pilot Sport 4 A/S I am sure it is an awesome tire. I have had great success with PS 3 + A/S and that tire is replacing that... I also love Conti DWS06 but I am a michelin fan boy but they did not have an option last year when I looked to replace dreaded run-flats.

Per usual and many other threads here... you should be looking to run 275/45/20 on OEM 20s and they will fit perfect.
They are Michelin Pilot Sport 4. I have 19 inch wheels.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Neil Walters
scorpian verde were great for me got 30k out of the first set
I've gone through two sets of scorpian verde in less than 50k miles. I'm not an aggressive driver, either. I've also found that the scorpian verde's have a terrible ride after they wear down hlaf-way.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

The Pilot Sport 4 is an Ultra-High Performance summer tire, so you'll need something else for the winter depending on where you live. It's the little brother of the 4S. The 4 is mainly for smaller sizes and the 4S for the larger sizes and the 4S performs higher. Either one is a bit of an overkill for a Q7 quite frankly. These tires are meant for performance cars. They are soft for maximum grip and with a car as heavy as the Q7 you may get maybe 10k miles out of them. I had the 4S on my 2013 RS5 and have it now on my 2019 C63S Coupe. Awesome tire, and made for cars like this. Pretty much the best street performance tire with great wet performance in addition to excellent dry performance, and amazing handling and steering response, but I also only get around 12k miles out of them. Totally worth it to me, but not necessarily to somebody else.

If you want a Michelin Pilot Sport SUV tire, you should probably look at the Pilot Sport 4 SUV. It's a brand new tire and may not yet be available in the sizes you need, but that's a tire made for SUVs like the Q7. It's also a summer tire, so you may still need an appropriate winter tire. Other than that and if you need an all year around tire, then there is the Pilot Sport All Season 4 and if you want an all season tire that is actually rated for snow, take a look at the Michelin CrossClimate 2. I just recently put a set on my wife's car. We take her car if we go up into the mountains during the winter, but living in the San Francisco Bay Area it doesn't make sense to have dedicated winter tires. I keep the PS4S on my car all year around in our mild climate. There is also the CrossClimate SUV, made specifically for SUVs.

https://www.michelinman.com/tires/pi...ort-4-suv.html

https://www.michelinman.com/tires/all-season-tires

Last edited by superswiss; 10-18-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
The Pilot Sport 4 is an Ultra-High Performance summer tire, so you'll need something else for the winter depending on where you live. It's the little brother of the 4S. The 4 is mainly for smaller sizes and the 4S for the larger sizes and the 4S performs higher. Either one is a bit of an overkill for a Q7 quite frankly. These tires are meant for performance cars. They are soft for maximum grip and with a car as heavy as the Q7 you may get maybe 10k miles out of them. I had the 4S on my 2013 RS5 and have it now on my 2019 C63S Coupe. Awesome tire, and made for cars like this. Pretty much the best street performance tire with great wet performance in addition to excellent dry performance, and amazing handling and steering response, but I also only get around 12k miles out of them. Totally worth it to me, but not necessarily to somebody else.

If you want a Michelin Pilot Sport SUV tire, you should probably look at the Pilot Sport 4 SUV. It's a brand new tire and may not yet be available in the sizes you need, but that's a tire made for SUVs like the Q7. It's also a summer tire, so you may still need an appropriate winter tire. Other than that and if you need an all year around tire, then there is the Pilot Sport All Season 4 and if you want an all season tire that is actually rated for snow, take a look at the Michelin CrossClimate 2. I just recently put a set on my wife's car. We take her car if we go up into the mountains during the winter, but living in the San Francisco Bay Area it doesn't make sense to have dedicated winter tires. I keep the PS4S on my car all year around in our mild climate. There is also the CrossClimate SUV, made specifically for SUVs.

https://www.michelinman.com/tires/pi...ort-4-suv.html

https://www.michelinman.com/tires/all-season-tires
Thanks. I meant the Pilot Sport All Season. The Michelin website says it's all season and fits the Audi.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Weird. I just put my car's specs back in the Michelin website and it no longer says those tires would fit. Now recommending Latitude Tour HP. Guess I put in the wrong info last time
Old 10-18-2020, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,179 Likes on 921 Posts

my apologies. there is no pilot sport 4 a/s in 275/45/20 yet.
this would be your best bet if you wanted to stick with michelin
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

or i would go with this. treadwear is a touch concerning in regards to lifespan, however this is like SPF on sunblock and not proven out by third parties so there is no guarantee on any heavy SUV with tire wear...
Vredstien makes a great tire and tirerack speaks highly of these...
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

give tire rack a call... they will have answers for every tire related question you can ask them...

Quick Reply: Tires and SOS question