Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Temporary PPF for Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Temporary PPF for Road Trip

Hey all.

I’ve got a 3,000 mile road trip coming up - Pulling our travel trailer around to a few national parks over the span of a month. Looking for a way to prevent rock chips and don’t really want the front of my rig to be 3M blue or neon green in the process…

So, I’m curious if anyone here has experience with Track Armour or any of the other temporary PPFs out there. Hoping to find something I can apply and leave on for the entire trip.

Any insights would be appreciated!

Cheers
Old 09-07-2022, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,177 Likes on 919 Posts

just drive the car. it's not an exotic or rare sports car and it's meant to be used. I PPF the headlights and a trunk strip on my SUV and called it a day. if the car already has rock chips and you didn't PPF it the first day you got it, worrying about it now is kind of useless.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89
just drive the car. it's not an exotic or rare sports car and it's meant to be used. I PPF the headlights and a trunk strip on my SUV and called it a day. if the car already has rock chips and you didn't PPF it the first day you got it, worrying about it now is kind of useless.
I appreciate your opinion but mine differs, respectfully. I do have some rock chips here and there but I don’t want them to multiply if I can help it.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

I don't have experience with Track Armour and the like. I considered it for my last European Delivery as I was staying for two months and didn't want rock chips before I had a chance to put actual PPF on it. Eventually decided against it as it's only designed to stay on for a day. Don't know how this stuff holds up in the rain or over multiple days, or how easy it still removes if you leave it on for an extended time. Last time I checked, the stuff is also pretty pricey for just being temporary. I lucked out and didn't get any chips while in Europe, so the paint was still pristine when I put on the PPF.

To be honest, if you are worried about rock chips, the time to put on PPF was when you first got the car. The real PPF is designed to stay on the car for years and protect it. Have done it on my two most recent cars. Full front up to the B-pillar including head lights, door edges and door handle cups as well as the rear bumper. All the high impact areas essentially. It's not cheap, either, but paint stays looking great.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
I don't have experience with Track Armour and the like. I considered it for my last European Delivery as I was staying for two months and didn't want rock chips before I had a chance to put actual PPF on it. Eventually decided against it as it's only designed to stay on for a day. Don't know how this stuff holds up in the rain or over multiple days, or how easy it still removes if you leave it on for an extended time. Last time I checked, the stuff is also pretty pricey for just being temporary. I lucked out and didn't get any chips while in Europe, so the paint was still pristine when I put on the PPF.

To be honest, if you are worried about rock chips, the time to put on PPF was when you first got the car. The real PPF is designed to stay on the car for years and protect it. Have done it on my two most recent cars. Full front up to the B-pillar including head lights, door edges and door handle cups as well as the rear bumper. All the high impact areas essentially. It's not cheap, either, but paint stays looking great.
Doing a European delivery is a dream of mine… One day!

Yeah, I bought this thing used and in fantastic condition. Because there are a few rock chips already, I don’t want to spend the couple K it’ll cost to do a true Xpel PPF or the like. I’ve done it on a couple of new cars in the past and, yes, it’s absolutely amazing stuff that I’ll always apply to any new vehicle I buy. But, in this case, I’m just wanting to protect the Q on this long trip that’ll likely see a lot of time behind semi trucks and driving through rocky, debris ridden areas through which I wouldn’t and won’t otherwise drive.

Also, the Track Armour is only $25 for a roll that’ll likely cover the nose twice so it’s actually quite inexpensive.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DannyG
Doing a European delivery is a dream of mine… One day!

Yeah, I bought this thing used and in fantastic condition. Because there are a few rock chips already, I don’t want to spend the couple K it’ll cost to do a true Xpel PPF or the like. I’ve done it on a couple of new cars in the past and, yes, it’s absolutely amazing stuff that I’ll always apply to any new vehicle I buy. But, in this case, I’m just wanting to protect the Q on this long trip that’ll likely see a lot of time behind semi trucks and driving through rocky, debris ridden areas through which I wouldn’t and won’t otherwise drive.

Also, the Track Armour is only $25 for a roll that’ll likely cover the nose twice so it’s actually quite inexpensive.
You have to hurry up if you still wanna do a European Delivery. BMW, Mercedes and Audi terminated their programs. Porsche I believe still does it, and I don't know if Volvo still does it. They are all going away with electric cars, though due to differences in the BMS between Europe and USA and shippers don't wanna ship used lithium batteries anymore after the recent RORO fire.

I think I've only looked at Xpel Tracwrap, but for ~$25 you only get 20 feet of the 4 inch roll. That's three stripes on the full width of a car. Doesn't go very far. Looks like Track Armour is indeed a lot cheaper.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-07-2022 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You have to hurry up if you still wanna do a European Delivery. BMW, Mercedes and Audi terminated their programs. Porsche I believe still does it, and I don't know if Volvo still does it. They are all going away with electric cars, though due to differences in the BMS between Europe and USA and shippers don't wanna ship used lithium batteries anymore after the recent RORO fire.

I think I've only looked at Xpel Tracwrap, but for ~$25 you only get 20 feet of the 4 inch roll. That's three stripes on the full width of a car. Doesn't go very far. Looks like Track Armour is indeed a lot cheaper.
Yeah, I’ve heard about all of those ending. I’m a Porsche guy so that’s the dream. But I don’t know that I’ll get to make it a reality before they all shut down, to your point - However, never say never!

I’ll do a bit more research but might give the Track Armour a go. And maybe I’ll just apply it for the more gnarly stretches and remove it right after.

Life would be so much easier if I wasn’t such a meticulous neurotic person… Haha
Old 09-07-2022, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DannyG
And maybe I’ll just apply it for the more gnarly stretches and remove it right after.
Keep in mind it needs to go on a clean car, preferably freshly waxed or you might end up damaging the paint more than it protects.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Keep in mind it needs to go on a clean car, preferably freshly waxed or you might end up damaging the paint more than it protects.
Yep, that’s part of my neurosis… It’s a black car so I wash it often and apply Griot’s ceramic/wax. I’ll do the same on the road.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Griots makes something called Bug Barrier. Spray on before your trip to "coat" the front of the car then wash it and the bugs off. I tried a similar product years ago and it worked OK. Just a thought.
The following users liked this post:
DannyG (09-07-2022)

Quick Reply: Temporary PPF for Road Trip