Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Sunroof issues result

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by opus360
More reason why Audi needs to offer a Q7 without sunroof.
they did until 2010. it wasn't a very popular option despite being a no cost option.

Originally Posted by mike99
SI'll be very interested to see how it turns out.
this is disheartening to say the least. having had this issue on a previous Q7 i was confident it would not be an issue on the 4M. before you take delivery go over every plastic panel, pillar and the entire headliner. look for broken tabs, clips, damaged vents, missing pieces, gaps in panels or headliner along with any aesthetic issues or superficial scratches. this is an intensive repair and if the wrong Tech gets their hands on this it results in the above along with rattles, creaks and squeaks. keep an eye on leaks after the repair. sometimes the hoses get kinked or the attaching points break.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast
they did until 2010. it wasn't a very popular option despite being a no cost option.

this is disheartening to say the least. having had this issue on a previous Q7 i was confident it would not be an issue on the 4M. before you take delivery go over every plastic panel, pillar and the entire headliner. look for broken tabs, clips, damaged vents, missing pieces, gaps in panels or headliner along with any aesthetic issues or superficial scratches. this is an intensive repair and if the wrong Tech gets their hands on this it results in the above along with rattles, creaks and squeaks. keep an eye on leaks after the repair. sometimes the hoses get kinked or the attaching points break.
Thanks for the advice. I keep telling myself that the car once looked like this previously on the assembly line. I'm told that the same tech has handled all of the sunroof issues at my dealership, so I'm hoping to be the beneficiary of his experience.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

excellent. i am optimistic for you and hope it works out well. go over the vehicle with the service advisor when it is ready. just be thorough in your evaluation before signing and driving off.

i had this on my 2007 and 2009. they went through three different roofs collectively. the last visit they replaced the interior carpeting along with the floor mats. it did not leak once after and sadly the next owner got the joy of that since i sold shortly after. i owned a 2011, 2012, 2014, and a 2015 and none of those leaked. i was absolutely certain audi would not have this issue on the 2017+ models but i guess i was wrong or this is a one-off.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

So the good news is that it seems that my dealership managed to both mitigate the sunroof issue as well as put the car back together again. I know that it's only been about 24 hours and limited driving, but early returns are positive. Some items will need a longer term evaluation - including the sunroof noise itself - but for the moment I am pleased with what they did. My tendency is to only keep these vehicles a short time (2 years) so I'm hoping I can pass that hurdle without any related issues showing up. There is a TSB# for the repair - if anyone needs it, let me know (my paperwork is in the car, otherwise I would have posted it).
Old 11-23-2016, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the good news is that it seems that my dealership managed to both mitigate the sunroof issue as well as put the car back together again. I know that it's only been about 24 hours and limited driving, but early returns are positive. Some items will need a longer term evaluation - including the sunroof noise itself - but for the moment I am pleased with what they did. My tendency is to only keep these vehicles a short time (2 years) so I'm hoping I can pass that hurdle without any related issues showing up. There is a TSB# for the repair - if anyone needs it, let me know (my paperwork is in the car, otherwise I would have posted it).
So, can you give more detail as to what they actually did since in involved tearing down the entire interior of the vehicle?
Old 11-28-2016, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's what the repair order stated: "Lubricated all seals and track areas. Found TSB#2044417/1 for concern. Removed headliner, applied fleece tapes to clips on headliner, as well as on sunroof frame where clips attach. Reinstalled headliner, performed test drive. No noise heard from headliner area."

So far, so good, but keeping fingers crossed.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Thats good to hear
Old 11-29-2016, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here's what the repair order stated: "Lubricated all seals and track areas. Found TSB#2044417/1 for concern. Removed headliner, applied fleece tapes to clips on headliner, as well as on sunroof frame where clips attach. Reinstalled headliner, performed test drive. No noise heard from headliner area."

So far, so good, but keeping fingers crossed.
Yes, please keep us posted. Between this and the ticking noise the only other noise I have is popping coming from the driver front when going from drive to reverse and turning the wheels to back into a parking space.

The dealership will love me when I come back and have all these TSB #'s.

Sadly I really don't want them tearing apart my interior. Nothing good comes from tearing car interiors apart and putting them back.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default PanoRoof noise

Im bringing this back up...
Can anyone that had this issue and took in for a fix tell me if months after the panoramic roof is quiet or is it rattling again?
I am having the same issue on my 2014 SQ5. It started at about 38k miles. The noise is heard right above the passenger to about the middle of the car. Its as if where the glass joins/touches somewhere that causes this rattle. When i open the roof no noise is heard.
I would like to know if those who took it in for this issue have seen the benefits of it, im afraid to take my SQ5 and they take it apart that only more issues will come from it and I will be back where i started.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jrscll
Im bringing this back up...
Can anyone that had this issue and took in for a fix tell me if months after the panoramic roof is quiet or is it rattling again?
I am having the same issue on my 2014 SQ5. It started at about 38k miles. The noise is heard right above the passenger to about the middle of the car. Its as if where the glass joins/touches somewhere that causes this rattle. When i open the roof no noise is heard.
I would like to know if those who took it in for this issue have seen the benefits of it, im afraid to take my SQ5 and they take it apart that only more issues will come from it and I will be back where i started.
Have this on our 2015 Q5. Had in once and they "adjusted" the roof and lubricated it. Still rattles as you described. They said they would replace the entire sunroof next. I haven't scheduled that yet but they offered. Believe they have a baby step approach to stuff like this. Keep working it and they will fix it.

Quick Reply: Sunroof issues result