Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Some question regarding Q7 and cars in general

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some question regarding Q7 and cars in general

In my search for a 3 row suv, the q7 checks off all the boxes, I haven't bought it yet, not sure I am gonna buy new, will probably wait another year and when they come of leases or something will buy a CPO.

My questions is can you have front facing rear seat in the middle row and access the third row?

Also, my wife's car lease is getting over in a couple of months, she drives a C300, but with family now, we want something bigger, but she is more comfortable with sedans, in the past she has driven the bmw 3 series.

I have been searching and can't find the right car, we have a RAV4, so not another one, and no CRV's. plus don't know if we want to go back to non-luxury cars.

Q5 is kinda cramped in the back and will be too similar to the q7.

X3, last time had checked did not feel luxury at all for the price they want.

GLC300 - will be too similar to our current c300.

We would prefer a CPO, but if the car is right and there are good leases, we would be open to that as well.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I assume you're asking about a front facing child seat in the middle second row. It will depend on the child seat. I currently have a rear facing seat in the middle. I need to push it slightly to the side when lowering the seatback to access the 3rd row.
I'd recommend taking the car seat to the dealership and testing it out.
The q7 is a great car for families. I have no regrets with it.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Old 08-24-2017, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by sid369
My questions is can you have front facing rear seat in the middle row and access the third row?
As sal_b already pointed out, depending on the car seat, but with the larger ones it's going to be difficult. You may elect to put the car seat on the left or right (not in the center) that will let you lift one side easily for access to third row. However, car seat placement will make it more challenging to keep an eye on the little one.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The middle seat is about 16" wide (sorry I have seats in place and seat protectors so measuring it is not completely trivial), it can hold a seat base for an infant seat, its difficult (but not impossible) to put the seat up to get to the 3rd row with the infant seat in position.

My Diono carseat (lowest profile I'm aware of) is about 17" wide at its widest point. Since you can push the seat slightly and the seats themselves are squishy, it would probably be possible to put the seat up with some effort and access the 3rd row. (not a promise from me though) I do not think it would be wise to do this if you had to access the 3rd row daily but for the rare occasion it might work.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is your 2nd row seat captains chair seats?
Old 08-25-2017, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Several people have said there are no good leases. If not, then it would be due to the financing rate and/or residual value.

We are a five person family and adjusting to the relatively compact Q7 pretty well. It is so small compared to our other cars that it fits in the garage with a tool chest and cargo rack in front of it, and a bike rack behind it. My only complaint so far are cost of tires for 20 inch wheels, and the ride quality is not that good compared to, well, anything I have owned before except for my Odyssey with run-flats, which I am 90% sure is from the Audi's run flats. Changing tires on the Odyssey fixed that car, so I assume changing tires on the Audi will also fix it. Unfortunately the Prestige was not available with 19 inch wheels.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh I forgot to mention when you do test drives, don't be afraid to bring all your car seats and put them in the vehicle see how they fit yourself.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I want to place a front facing diono on either the left or the right side and the read facing on the other side, with this arrangement as I understand the middle seat in the 2nd row will be unusable but access to the 3rd row is possible through the side now which the front facing car seat is (diono) correct?

Also do any of you have the Q7 and also the GL450?
Really can't decide if we should get 2 SUV's the CPO GL450 is such a good bang for the buck you can get a 2014 with less than 35,000 miles for under $50,000. but not sure how easy or challenging it is to drive everyday in city traffic, office parking, malls, grocery shopping etc.?
Old 08-29-2017, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I find our Seqoia no problem to drive anywhere. It would suck in Italy though. Had a rental full size van and had to fold the mirrors to go down some streets.

Last edited by rsilvers129; 08-29-2017 at 08:11 AM.