Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Second gear slipping

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Second gear slipping

2017 Q7, adaptive chassis, been chasing down what I thought was a slipping supercharger pulley, but have narrowed it down to what I believe is the torque converter itself or some crappy code.
Symptoms are very nonlinear acceleration in second gear. First is fine, second hits an it's like it's hunting for something and slipping., third is 90% better, 4-8 are solid.

I was finally able to to log enough data that actually shows what you feel. Dealer has reset adaptation like 10 times, it *might* help but it's really hard to say.

This log is standing start to stop through 4th gear to stop.

* Red line is RPMS, notice how jagged they are through second gear highlighted by the gray lines. This represents the surging, it should be crisp like the peak from first to second.
* Yellow line denoted gear selected
* Green line shows torque slip. One would think it should be locked in second and third gear with no slipping.

Unfortunately my logger is old and this is the best I can provide, but I assure you throttle was constant and I can show that in other plots.

Anyone else experienced this? I've had loaners that seem better.

Wondering if it's fixable by the dealer, or if the Trans just needs a real tune. I'm only at 38k miles and CPO. Been doing it since I got the car 25k.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

It is my understanding that not only does the tcm adapt to your way of driving but is also smart enough to adapt to some wear and tear inside the trans. In most cases it’s the valve body that is the problem. However start with a trans fluid flush, because it’s the least expensive. There should be taps on the side of the trans that you can hook up a pressure gauge to. There should also be some things you can adjust on the valve body, but it’s doubtful you could do it through the tcm. That would have to be manually done on the valve body. Maybe find the part number of your box and ask a reputable trans shop how they would go about adjusting for that.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audifreakjim
2017 Q7, adaptive chassis, been chasing down what I thought was a slipping supercharger pulley, but have narrowed it down to what I believe is the torque converter itself or some crappy code.
Symptoms are very nonlinear acceleration in second gear. First is fine, second hits an it's like it's hunting for something and slipping., third is 90% better, 4-8 are solid.

I was finally able to to log enough data that actually shows what you feel. Dealer has reset adaptation like 10 times, it *might* help but it's really hard to say.

This log is standing start to stop through 4th gear to stop.

* Red line is RPMS, notice how jagged they are through second gear highlighted by the gray lines. This represents the surging, it should be crisp like the peak from first to second.
* Yellow line denoted gear selected
* Green line shows torque slip. One would think it should be locked in second and third gear with no slipping.

Unfortunately my logger is old and this is the best I can provide, but I assure you throttle was constant and I can show that in other plots.

Anyone else experienced this? I've had loaners that seem better.

Wondering if it's fixable by the dealer, or if the Trans just needs a real tune. I'm only at 38k miles and CPO. Been doing it since I got the car 25k.
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but, I have some 'oddness' also - which the dealer says is normal..... And I agree - second and third. For me though, it seems to depend on throttle position. Two scenarios. You're on the freeway in rush our traffic, going 15 mph, in second gear (I use the paddles, so, held in 2nd gear) - foot off the throttle - completely coasting. Traffic opens up a bit, you poke the accelerator (15%?) and it seems like the Q kinda 'jerks' 3 times before I get to smooth acceleration. I would kinda understand the first 2, the torque convertor locking and the supercharger kicking in, but, not the 3rd. Second scenario - an an empty road, 15mph, second gear, coasting, floor it. No jerks whatsoever. I'm starting to wonder if I'm just not keeping my foot still under partial acceleration.....I should try the data logging - adding throttle position.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by mctt197
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but, I have some 'oddness' also - which the dealer says is normal..... And I agree - second and third. For me though, it seems to depend on throttle position. Two scenarios. You're on the freeway in rush our traffic, going 15 mph, in second gear (I use the paddles, so, held in 2nd gear) - foot off the throttle - completely coasting. Traffic opens up a bit, you poke the accelerator (15%?) and it seems like the Q kinda 'jerks' 3 times before I get to smooth acceleration. I would kinda understand the first 2, the torque convertor locking and the supercharger kicking in, but, not the 3rd. Second scenario - an an empty road, 15mph, second gear, coasting, floor it. No jerks whatsoever. I'm starting to wonder if I'm just not keeping my foot still under partial acceleration.....I should try the data logging - adding throttle position.
It's not just you. Happens to me as well, and no, your foot is not slipping off the accelerator. I have learned to live with it, but it still bugs me.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's definitely light to mid throttle only, and I've experienced the same jerkiness when held in gear. I'll have to see if I can log the status of the valve body and see if it's intentionally slipping. I'm 75% this is crappy code. I may have to also check the fluid levels myself to verify those are good.
Old 08-28-2022, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any update?

Hello. Does anyone have an update on the issues described in this thread? Anyone figure out a solution?

I have 2018 Q7 with 80,000 miles. I experience the same jerking/slipping in 2nd or 3rd gears.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WVAudi
Hello. Does anyone have an update on the issues described in this thread? Anyone figure out a solution?

I have 2018 Q7 with 80,000 miles. I experience the same jerking/slipping in 2nd or 3rd gears.
Me as well! 2017 Q7 with 50K. Had it in Audi, they replaced oil line O-rings due to some leaking and clutch adaptation. No change in 2-3 shifting.
I have noticed that the slipping issues is almost completely resolved when in S. Much more noticeable in Auto.
But like the others, it's solely related to gears 2 and 3. Rest of shifting is spot on.
Old 08-29-2022, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Light acceleration "jerk" at the 2-3 shift point

I too have the light acceleration "jerk" on my 2017. The "jerk' or "clunk" happens at about the 2-3 shift point under light throttle opening acceration only under certain conditions. After a lot of diagnosis and head banging I believe it has nothing to do with the transmission. I think it's the supercharger clutch engaging abruptly. For me the condition started at about 30k or so and has been getting worse as the mileage increased. I think it's the SC clutch because immediately upon feeling the clunk I can hear the SC start to wine. Putting the trans in sport mode almost eliminates the issue because the clutch is engaged at a different point.
Try listening for the SC wine when the jerk or clunk takes place. SC clutch has been an issue in this car for years....just like the center differential" rumble" issue!
Old 08-30-2022, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by russ0054
I too have the light acceleration "jerk" on my 2017. The "jerk' or "clunk" happens at about the 2-3 shift point under light throttle opening acceration only under certain conditions. After a lot of diagnosis and head banging I believe it has nothing to do with the transmission. I think it's the supercharger clutch engaging abruptly. For me the condition started at about 30k or so and has been getting worse as the mileage increased. I think it's the SC clutch because immediately upon feeling the clunk I can hear the SC start to wine. Putting the trans in sport mode almost eliminates the issue because the clutch is engaged at a different point.
Try listening for the SC wine when the jerk or clunk takes place. SC clutch has been an issue in this car for years....just like the center differential" rumble" issue!
When I first called my service advisor, his tech mentioned the SC slipping as his first guess. I've noticed when I put it in manual, the issues happens in first gear, but 2-3 when in auto.

I just bought my Q7 couple months ago with 50K, I know have the shifting issue, center diff rumble and (as of this week) the radiator shutter motor issue.
Old 10-15-2022, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a feeling I’m noticing this slight jerk in my Q7. Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Was your problem the supercharger clutch?
Originally Posted by cshocker
When I first called my service advisor, his tech mentioned the SC slipping as his first guess. I've noticed when I put it in manual, the issues happens in first gear, but 2-3 when in auto.

I just bought my Q7 couple months ago with 50K, I know have the shifting issue, center diff rumble and (as of this week) the radiator shutter motor issue.

Quick Reply: Second gear slipping