Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Rear Entertainment System 2018 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Entertainment System 2018 Q7

My 2018 Q7 Prestige is prewired for the rear entertainment system tablets to be placed in the back of the front seats, but i've heard that 1. it's not all that good and 2. its impossible to find the tablets. Mine didn't come with the tablets. Is there an adapter availble to purchase for an ipad or is there a place to buy the tablets and not pay a million for them? Anyone else have this or have found a solution? TIA and photos if you have them would be awesome!
Old 02-16-2021, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,179 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by metsfan1975
My 2018 Q7 Prestige is prewired for the rear entertainment system tablets to be placed in the back of the front seats, but i've heard that 1. it's not all that good and 2. its impossible to find the tablets. Mine didn't come with the tablets. Is there an adapter availble to purchase for an ipad or is there a place to buy the tablets and not pay a million for them? Anyone else have this or have found a solution? TIA and photos if you have them would be awesome!
I have seen them for sale here in classifieds. Have you looked on ebay?
Old 02-16-2021, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have seen them on eBay but super expensive. Not sure if it’s worth the cost. Was hoping for an adapter alternative
Old 02-16-2021, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have seen them on eBay but super expensive. Not sure if it’s worth the cost. Was hoping for an adapter alternative
Amazon tablets in a rugged case?
Old 02-16-2021, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

But how do you attach them to the dock inside the seats? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I just ran with two headrest holders and two Ipad's. I did not wire them to the prewired docks as they easily plug into a cigarette lighter port in the back if needed. I am still at less than 70% of the cost of Audi's OEM solution
The following users liked this post:
mbs (02-16-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

sounds like the right way to go. did you just run cables down the back of the seats or did you hide them some how? Also by doing this there is no access to the audi interface is there?
Old 02-16-2021, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The Audi interface sucks! I did not wire them permanently as my kids take their Ipads in and out all the time. The ipad battery lasts 6-12 hours depending on usage so on long road trips I bring their chargers and let it hang for the time being. I also take them down when parking the car due to my paranoia of theft. Out of sight out of mind is the approach I take there. I had difficulty finding the proper headrest attachment and went with something very simple that was $20 and surprisingly it has worked very well
Old 02-17-2021, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks. Do you recall which ones you bought and are the iPads just WiFi or on a cellular network? Lastly do you run the wifi in the car or use your phone as a hotspot?
Old 02-17-2021, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks. Do you recall which ones you bought and are the iPads just WiFi or on a cellular network? Lastly do you run the wifi in the car or use your phone as a hotspot?
I am just sitting on the sideline... but here is my $0.02.

If you can get unlimited data through car you may want to go that route to not have to worry about racking up wifi hotspot bills on your cell phone plan. Also when the car is off the wifi will stop. The car's antenna system may have stronger signal strength in places with poor reception as well... But I cannot confirm that and the car is going to use AT&T while my current cell phone is Verizon. I go skiing all the time and reception can be trash with both carriers to and from the hill at points...

Or you may want to go through your phone if you can get a better deal on hotspot usage versus a full blown audi connect plan. Additionally the wifi speeds your kids' tablets will see may be better if you have a newer phone with 5G capability... but you may see diminished performance in regards to your own phone speed for things like music streaming or navigation if both tablets are sucking off your phone. Lastly, you want to make sure you have a good 2+ Amp charger to keep up with your phone while hotspotting... it will be very power hungry.

Not sure if this helps you decide... but it is some useful information. best of luck!

Quick Reply: Rear Entertainment System 2018 Q7