Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 vs. X7?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Q7 vs. X7?

Greetings, I'm deciding about our next family vehicle to purchase new. Has anyone considered between these 3 row SUVs? In my research there are much better deals to be had on a 23 Q7 vs X7. X7 had a recent redesign but would be pricier with less room for negotiations. But I feel the Q7 would be more reliable. Cheers!
Old 09-08-2023, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 353 Likes on 296 Posts

Audi > BMW
Audi = Unmatched soulful driving experience

But, drive both and see what you think...
The following users liked this post:
StroQ7 (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 139 Likes on 101 Posts

Both are of course great cars, and you'll need to drive them both. I've owned both Audis and BMWs over the years and have always liked both - issues and problems crop up across all brands.

The spec should be just a side by side comparison with what you want, both are great luxury cars. There are recalls on the Q7, and I experienced the alternator issue, but also, my local independent Audi/BMW garage has been sitting on 2 X7s for >6 months with electrical issues that the the dealer 'won't touch'.

I looked at both when I got my Q7 - my price point compared the Q7's 3.0 V6 engine to the X7's 'x40' 3.0 straight 6 engine. The X7 just felt it underpowered and handled a bit more like a bus in the corners. The Audi is certainly more 'dynamic' and 'sport' oriented, whatever that means. My boss just took delivery of an x60 MX7 with the 4.4 V8 and says it's the best car he's ever owned, and he's had everything across the board.
StroQ7 (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Hope the don't charge extra for the blinkers on that X7 as they are rarely used
Old 09-08-2023, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 353 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Hope the don't charge extra for the blinkers on that X7 as they are rarely used
lulz, they put turn signals on BMW's?
Old 09-08-2023, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I have both. Ask more specific questions and I can answer them but there are differences, both in design but also how we spec'd them so your YMMV.

Our Q7 is more sporty and fully loaded, save for the Luxury package. We hated the exterior of the redesigned X7 so found a super low mileage '22 X7 that met 90% of our criteria. I'd say our 40i is 75% loaded. We have the top grade leather, Professional Driving Pack, Luxury Seating, Parking Assistance, Premium Package, and upgraded 22's but not the B&W sound system and their trick suspension (Dynamic Handling Package). I would've loved those two options as well, but I was very focused on super low mileage and only certain color combos. I ended up flying a few hours away to get what I wanted after 2 months of looking.

The X7 is noticeably larger. Sitting side by side in the garage, the X7 dwarfs the Q7, especially in height/girth. The 3rd rows are both tightish and don't compare favorably at all to our recently departed Escalade ESV. But we knew that when we downsized to the X7. The power sliding seats in the BMW are painfully slow. Like suuuuuper slow. If we used the 3rd row often, that would be a real issue since we got the bench 2nd row.

We went back and forth on the 6 cylinder v 8 cylinder on the BMW. If I had found the right 50i or M50, I'd have gotten it. But the majority of those were captains chairs and we wanted a bench with upgraded leather. Those are much harder to find on the M50i We went with the 6 and it does very well, save for when it's very loaded down and you're asking for a high speed punch. Having said that, everything you read about the 6 cylinder BMW engine being so smooth is right on target. It's truly turbine like. In the end, both powertrains are very comparable, even considering I'm APR tuned on the Q7 and the X7 "only" has 340 HP. BMW is known for underreporting its HP so take that number for what it's worth.

The self-driving on the BMW is worlds better than the Audi. I can drive hands off the wheel for minutes at a time, so long as my eyes are on the road ahead. The Q7 only gives you a few seconds of that before the nannies start chirping.

Fit and finish are very similar on both. I do love the super large iDrive screen on the X7. It really makes the Q7s screen look tiny. But resolution on both are solid and both MMI and iDrive are easy to use.

As for reliability, we've had the water pump on the Q7 done at 75K miles or so. I'm just over 100K and no other issues. I had 3K in warranty work done on the BMW with a well known water leak seeping in through the sharkfin antenna and killing some electronics. But I'm way too early in miles to have any other issues. I will note- people burn through tires on the BMW (20-30K) and they are pricey- well over 500. Many order the 21s to help save on that. My wife won't put but 10-15K/year on this so we went with the wheels we liked the most!

Again- fire away specific questions. To me, there are some decent differences between them, but you can't go wrong either way. There are parts to both I prefer to the other, but nothing that would make me get one over the other. In the end, I'm glad we have both in our garage and do not miss the Escalade at all!

Last edited by keg97; 09-08-2023 at 11:20 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by keg97:
CrazyEights (09-09-2023), Irvin Fitzgerald (09-09-2023), mhoran89 (09-12-2023), PsyQ7 (09-08-2023), StroQ7 (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PsyQ7
Both are of course great cars, and you'll need to drive them both. I've owned both Audis and BMWs over the years and have always liked both - issues and problems crop up across all brands.

The spec should be just a side by side comparison with what you want, both are great luxury cars. There are recalls on the Q7, and I experienced the alternator issue, but also, my local independent Audi/BMW garage has been sitting on 2 X7s for >6 months with electrical issues that the the dealer 'won't touch'.

I looked at both when I got my Q7 - my price point compared the Q7's 3.0 V6 engine to the X7's 'x40' 3.0 straight 6 engine. The X7 just felt it underpowered and handled a bit more like a bus in the corners. The Audi is certainly more 'dynamic' and 'sport' oriented, whatever that means. My boss just took delivery of an x60 MX7 with the 4.4 V8 and says it's the best car he's ever owned, and he's had everything across the board.
Any further info on the electrical issues? I've not seen any complaints of that on the X7 board.

Also- you're not off on the handling side. I think more weight of the BMW sits higher (the size thing) so it does lean a bit more. Supposedly the DHP cures that. The Audi does feel a bit more dynamic but the X7 tightens up nicely in Sport mode and handles super well. It just feels bigger. However, the X7 does swallow up highway miles easier than the Q7, even though the Audi does a fantastic job at that. The best thing I can say about the BMW suspension is you don't notice the upgraded 22's on it. It swallows road issues seamlessly. It's a bad comparison, but you knew (and paid for!) the 22's were on the Escalade.

Last edited by keg97; 09-08-2023 at 10:47 AM.
StroQ7 (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 139 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by keg97
Any further info on the electrical issues? I've not seen any complaints of that on the X7 board.
Not sure exactly, but I asked him 2 years ago for his opinion on the differences -- he was very pro-Q7 (and I was in a Q5 at the time). The 2x X7s had both been in minor front-end accidents that required 'simple' external repair, but the electronics relating to the parking radars, central locking and I recall the alarm system, had all gone haywire. He claimed BMW had worked on them, got nowhere, gave up, and he took them to work on instead.
The following 2 users liked this post by PsyQ7:
keg97 (09-08-2023), StroQ7 (09-09-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PsyQ7
Not sure exactly, but I asked him 2 years ago for his opinion on the differences -- he was very pro-Q7 (and I was in a Q5 at the time). The 2x X7s had both been in minor front-end accidents that required 'simple' external repair, but the electronics relating to the parking radars, central locking and I recall the alarm system, had all gone haywire. He claimed BMW had worked on them, got nowhere, gave up, and he took them to work on instead.
The issues with the X7s after minor accidents, particularly related to electronics, can sometimes be tricky to resolve. It's not uncommon for complex systems like parking radars and alarm systems to pose challenges even for professional repair services. It seems like your friend took matters into their own hands, which can be a testament to their technical skills and determination.

It's always interesting to hear about these real-world experiences with different car models. Do you have any specific questions or considerations about these vehicles?
StroQ7 (09-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 12:16 AM
546AWHP/ 626AWTQ 4M.5

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by keg97

Also- you're not off on the handling side. I think more weight of the BMW sits higher (the size thing) so it does lean a bit more. Supposedly the DHP cures that. The Audi does feel a bit more dynamic but the X7 tightens up nicely in Sport mode and handles super well. It just feels bigger. However, the X7 does swallow up highway miles easier than the Q7, even though the Audi does a fantastic job at that. The best thing I can say about the BMW suspension is you don't notice the upgraded 22's on it. It swallows road issues seamlessly. It's a bad comparison, but you knew (and paid for!) the 22's were on the Escalade.
I have the 21 Q7 w/ Sport Package. It makes a heck of a difference. The self correcting air suspension in the corners make you feel like you're in a sedan (especially when lowered). I can't say much about BMW because I've never driven one, but the Q7 handles great on mountain runs and is a beast on Stage 3. Bought new, now 69K miles later with only a thermostat change. Third row is never used here, but would not work for anyone over 4ft. Super tight. All my kids are grown 🙌🏾

CottonMcKnight (10-27-2023)