Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 MK2 - towing - Weight distributing hitch

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 MK2 - towing - Weight distributing hitch

Hi AUDI forum

First time AUDI owner here and just bought a used 2017 Q7 3.0T Technik. Super excited and appreciated all the info to be found here!

I will be using it for towing an RV and was advised by the RV shop that I should purchase a weight distribution hitch with build in sway bars. Which all sounded logic.

Now I’m reading the car manual, and it says not to used a weight distributing / load equalizing hitch.

I was curious if people would share what their real life experience has been with either or?

Note - the car has the air suspension and factory installed towing package.

I’m new to this. So any information / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 05-11-2022, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

No WD hitch. Its a no no.

Search in the forum, there are a couple big threads on Towing with the Q7. They also talk about no WD hitch.

And its a big plus that you have the air suspension. I use an electronic sway controller on my RV.

g/l
The following users liked this post:
Fast_Eddie (06-01-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the reply. I’ll search for them
would you mind sharing what electrical sway control you use? If you are happy with how it works.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CFOG
Thank you for the reply. I’ll search for them
would you mind sharing what electrical sway control you use? If you are happy with how it works.
I use the Hayes Sway Controller. It works and I've had it go off and apply the trailer brakes when I take a turn too fast so I know it works.

I'm not sure where to get one nowadays. Below is something that may help you. Other people might use something different.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-400292.html

g/l
Old 05-11-2022, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

What size, weight, and tongue weight will you be running on your trailer? Do you already have the trailer, and if so, have you actually measured the tongue (hitch) weight?
Although you are not supposed to run a WDH, it would be best to run at least a friction sway bar.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
What size, weight, and tongue weight will you be running on your trailer? Do you already have the trailer, and if so, have you actually measured the tongue (hitch) weight?
Although you are not supposed to run a WDH, it would be best to run at least a friction sway bar.
i bought an R-Pod 193 - it’s 22 feet long and dry weight is 3750 lbs. I have not had a chance to weigh the tongue yet (picking it up soon from the dealer)

Thanks
C
Old 05-12-2022, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,180 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by CFOG
i bought an R-Pod 193 - it’s 22 feet long and dry weight is 3750 lbs. I have not had a chance to weigh the tongue yet (picking it up soon from the dealer)

Thanks
C
your q7 will tow that without issues at all. I have towed almost 3000 lbs and you don't even know it is behind you with the 3.0T and air ride. If you are worried I would run a friction based sway prevention device, but no WDH as others (and the manual) have mentioned.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
your q7 will tow that without issues at all. I have towed almost 3000 lbs and you don't even know it is behind you with the 3.0T and air ride. If you are worried I would run a friction based sway prevention device, but no WDH as others (and the manual) have mentioned.
Same here.

Boat is 3,200lbs with 340lbs of tongue weight. I've towed it as far as Florida with a full compliment of humans inside. Aside from some cross winds, I doubt your trailer gives you much issue. This honestly tows better than the 1500 Sierra I used to tow with. Power, Chassis, and Braking are all upgrades from a fullsize pickup IMO. 3.0T and Air Suspension, as well as the 4 wheel steering makes for a VERY comfortable tow. There are a couple of the guys on the jetboat forums that tow 24ft boats with the Q7. Similar reports of excellent handling and towing prowess up around the 6k lbs mark.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,180 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kwik4u
Same here.

Boat is 3,200lbs with 340lbs of tongue weight. I've towed it as far as Florida with a full compliment of humans inside. Aside from some cross winds, I doubt your trailer gives you much issue. This honestly tows better than the 1500 Sierra I used to tow with. Power, Chassis, and Braking are all upgrades from a fullsize pickup IMO. 3.0T and Air Suspension, as well as the 4 wheel steering makes for a VERY comfortable tow. There are a couple of the guys on the jetboat forums that tow 24ft boats with the Q7. Similar reports of excellent handling and towing prowess up around the 6k lbs mark.

The only thing I will say is you will hear whatever you're towing behind you because the tow hitch replaces the rear crash bar which is bolted directly to the unibody chassis; unlike a pickup where there is a hitch that is attached to the frame which is isolated from the cab (in a body on frame vehicle). I recommend a ball hitch rattle stopper (a U bolt with a plate and nuts and washers) but other than that the car will tow beautifully.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
The only thing I will say is you will hear whatever you're towing behind you because the tow hitch replaces the rear crash bar which is bolted directly to the unibody chassis; unlike a pickup where there is a hitch that is attached to the frame which is isolated from the cab (in a body on frame vehicle). I recommend a ball hitch rattle stopper (a U bolt with a plate and nuts and washers) but other than that the car will tow beautifully.
You are 110% correct. My Sierra was DEAD silent while towing, in terms of trailer noise. The Q7's first tow SUCKED it was so loud.....so....I tried the U-Bolt adapter thing. It was a PIA to put on, and honestly didn't work that great. It still rattled some and the hitch still made some noise. I moved to this threaded hitch pin and have been MUCH happier with the noise, or rather the lack thereof.

Amazon Amazon

Also.....Grease the Ball liberally. Get it good and covered, you want grease all over it and well covered in the coupler. This was the second source of sound in the cab. With the new pin and a well greased ball (I mean, who doesn't like a well greased ball, right?) the hitch setup is virtually silent. Our 10hr trip to FL was indistinguishable from a regular road trip to the other passengers in the vehicle. If you tow often, it's worth getting the setup just right.

Quick Reply: Q7 MK2 - towing - Weight distributing hitch