Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

P05A0 Check Engine Light 2017 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by adobian
I search part number 95B-965-201-AA and found out the motor won't fit my 2017 Q7. But they suggest to buy the whole shutter for $275
I guess that would include the motor as well, correct?

https://www.genuineaudiparts.com/oem...bly-4m0121219b
Who is suggesting replacing the whole shutter? I did just the motor on my 2017 no problem. Part was 95B-965-501-AA
Old 02-13-2023, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTPlus
Who is suggesting replacing the whole shutter? I did just the motor on my 2017 no problem. Part was 95B-965-501-AA
here it says the part doesn't fit the 2017 Q7:

https://www.genuineaudiparts.com/oem...65501aa?c=az0x
Old 02-13-2023, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GTPlus
So you took out the whole shutter and swap the motor and put the whole thing back in?
Old 02-13-2023, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can you jack the car up and just replace the motor? Is it on the side?

Last edited by adobian; 02-13-2023 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

So you took out the whole shutter and swap the motor and put the whole thing back in?
No you do not have to remove the shutter, the motor comes out with a few screws and is clipped to the shutter louvers. But you do have to remove the front bumper, and if you have active cruise you might need a calibration after. Mine fortunately did not.
The following users liked this post:
adobian (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you jack the car up and just replace the motor? Is it on the side?
$50 Audi shutter motor, YouTube, some basic tools, 4-5 hours of your time and you'll be running down the road with no engine lights. It's not that bad. Just take your time and save you thousands.
adobian (02-13-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had this issue pop up on my MKII. I am still under the 80K mark so I will be trying to argue for the FEW angle and get the dealership to pick up the tab for this. Judging from the responses here and on the other thread cited by @mhoran89, this seems to be very hit and miss in terms of success rate. Any tips you can give would be appreciated. I did find an updated TSB for this issue which I will be bringing:
https://www.tsbsearch.com/Audi/01-19-39
I am in Colorado which does have the auto fail for CELs.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,180 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by dhimmel
I just had this issue pop up on my MKII. I am still under the 80K mark so I will be trying to argue for the FEW angle and get the dealership to pick up the tab for this. Judging from the responses here and on the other thread cited by @mhoran89, this seems to be very hit and miss in terms of success rate. Any tips you can give would be appreciated. I did find an updated TSB for this issue which I will be bringing:
https://www.tsbsearch.com/Audi/01-19-39
I am in Colorado which does have the auto fail for CELs.
I would say less is more. tell them the car threw a CEL and the car is up for inspection. if you don't need an inspection, you could always scrape the sticker off the windshield. tell them to troubleshoot the car and let them know because it threw a CEL you believe this is covered under the E1E FEW which is 8 years 80k miles. if they ask more, or tell you it is for a specific code and the active grill shutters, ask them if they know about a TSB and you can offer to send them it. they should easily be able to run open and applicable TSBs via ELSA pro with your VIN though.

I would see if you can get a loaner, that way you're not constantly bothering the dealer and at least have substitute transportation (whether or not you need it).
keep us posted. your situation sounds promising though. best of luck and remember we are always here to help.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So after a bit of back and forth the dealership has agreed to cover the entire repair!

I went in not saying more than necessary as mhoran89 advised. CEL is on so you tell me what the problem is basically. The Service Advisor came back with: Fault P05A0, TSB 2048402/9 performed, recommend replace grille shutter and perform software update, recommend alignment and calibration as additional due to front bumper being removed. Price for replace grille shutter and update software: $1,742.37, price for alignment and calibration: $699.95.
This was a bit puzzling to me as I was not aware of a newer TSB and then steps 1 and 2 of the TSB are basically figure out what software is currently on the vehicle and then update it so I know they hadn't really "performed" the TSB, just pulled the DTC. I questioned this and the SA said the software update would be done with the repair. I then asked why this was not covered under the FEW 8/80 warranty and the SA asked where I got those numbers. I replied directly from the TSB under the Warranty heading. He went to their warranty administrator and got the $1,742.37 covered. They still wanted to charge me for the alignment and calibration though...
If you look at the current TSB linked above and compare against previous TSBs for the same code linked further up this post, Audi removed specific line items regarding calibration from the Labor Operations section so I expected to be SOL for those charges. With nothing to lose, I pointed the differences out to the SA and he again went back to the warranty administrator who agreed to cover the alignment and calibration as well! I don't know if the outcome would have been different in a different state or even with a different dealership but I'm sure glad I persevered.
mhoran89 (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,180 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by dhimmel
So after a bit of back and forth the dealership has agreed to cover the entire repair!

I went in not saying more than necessary as mhoran89 advised. CEL is on so you tell me what the problem is basically. The Service Advisor came back with: Fault P05A0, TSB 2048402/9 performed, recommend replace grille shutter and perform software update, recommend alignment and calibration as additional due to front bumper being removed. Price for replace grille shutter and update software: $1,742.37, price for alignment and calibration: $699.95.
This was a bit puzzling to me as I was not aware of a newer TSB and then steps 1 and 2 of the TSB are basically figure out what software is currently on the vehicle and then update it so I know they hadn't really "performed" the TSB, just pulled the DTC. I questioned this and the SA said the software update would be done with the repair. I then asked why this was not covered under the FEW 8/80 warranty and the SA asked where I got those numbers. I replied directly from the TSB under the Warranty heading. He went to their warranty administrator and got the $1,742.37 covered. They still wanted to charge me for the alignment and calibration though...
If you look at the current TSB linked above and compare against previous TSBs for the same code linked further up this post, Audi removed specific line items regarding calibration from the Labor Operations section so I expected to be SOL for those charges. With nothing to lose, I pointed the differences out to the SA and he again went back to the warranty administrator who agreed to cover the alignment and calibration as well! I don't know if the outcome would have been different in a different state or even with a different dealership but I'm sure glad I persevered.
awesome work. glad I could save someone some cash. looks like I saved you ~$1700. feel free to venmo me beer money (my username is the same here as on venmo). JK LOL.

anyways, that is why this forum is here, we should all be in it together to help. glad to see another positive outcome. cheers and happy motoring!

Quick Reply: P05A0 Check Engine Light 2017 Q7