Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Is this oil consumption acceptable/normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_
Those that mentioned the variability of the oil level gauge were dead-on. Today, after a few more hundred miles, the gauge shows totally FULL. I miss having a dipstick.
Also keep in mind, the oil level gauge works much like a dipstick. The reading isn't accurate while you are driving, because the oil is moving around in the engine and slushing about the oil pan. You are supposed to park the car on level ground after the engine has reached operating temperature, wait about 5 minutes for the oil to drip back into the oil pan and then check it. The electronic gauge isn't really any different from a physical dipstick. Too much is being red into it. Checking it on level ground is one of the biggest factors. The reading will be off as it will be off on a physical dipstick if the car isn't on level ground.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2019 Audi Q7 V6 - I had to top up a 1litre of 5W40 during the first 8,000km. I am used to Audi consuming Engine Oil that I keep a bottle with me at home.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

One quart per 1000 miles = normal consumption? https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...tion/index.htm
Thankfully, I haven't seen much so far with my Q7 but if it happens to be the case it will be a factor I will definitely consider come the trade-in time.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

We hit 1K today and the level again shows slightly low like the picture I provided in the OP.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Don't worry about it at that level. You don't need to add oil until you get down to the bottom of that scale... all the way down to "Min". Remember, that scale is not the entire capacity, it is just a representing the 7th quart of oil in your engine. Anywhere within there is fine. We get fooled because it is a digital readout, so we expect perfect accuracy, but just think about if it was a manual dipstick. When you check the oil with a manual dipstick it is definitely more of a gestalt: "eh, looks like the level is somewhere between the two lines, so it's good." Really, the same goes here. Heck, the level was halfway on the scale immediately after my first oil change at the dealership, so they filled it lower than yours is currently.
The following users liked this post:
Dave_ (04-23-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 392 Likes on 278 Posts

Are you checking the oil warm? The manual likely says this (it does for the SQ5). Warm oil will expand a bit. Taking the reading on level ground is also needed for accuracy. Some stations where I am aren't level and can impact the reading. My garage certainly isn't level.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2018 Q7 I have added 1 to 1.5 qtr of oil per 10K miles. My dealer says it's normal and I have them make a note of it on the cars record just in case. ;-)

I drive in the city and highway and drive in "S" and pretty aggressive and I thought that was the reason....it's normal they said. Then talking to my brother-in-law who has a 2019 Q7 his Q7 is consuming about a 1 quart every 8K miles and he drives very conservative. The dealer told him the same...."it's normal" so he had them document the consumption and moved on.

Now I keep a few quarts around and any long trips (300+) miles I take a quart with me as the oil is hard to find.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_
Those that mentioned the variability of the oil level gauge were dead-on. Today, after a few more hundred miles, the gauge shows totally FULL. I miss having a dipstick.
That is your dipstick, just a digital one. Beauty is that you can check your engine oil level from your phone without getting your hands dirty
Old 05-17-2020, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I am a little concerned about the oil use in my car too. 2017 3.0 Prestige with just over 20K miles. Last oil change was on the year change in October. I already added a qt. about 3 months ago. After adding the qt. the gauge read full. Not driving much these days but I try to take the car out for a spin at highway and city speeds. Two weeks ago it was at the 3 indicator from the top. After a 30 min drive combined city and highway it went down to the 5th indicator .The other day after a 45 min. round trip it registered lower, to the 7th indicator

. See the screen shot below.

Now my dealer will add a qt. of oil free of charge and without an appointment. However, I own my car and at my age unless the car gets totaled it will be my last car, hopefully. BUT I hope to leave it to my son who's has 2 young children and I expect to see 100,000 plus miles .

So I have 2 q's. Is this too much consumption? Even if it is within AUDI specs how can we determine( if possible) if the car will get the 100,000 + use most cars SHOULD get with the correct oil maintenance?

Thanks

Last edited by GBMILTON; 05-17-2020 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GBMILTON
I am a little concerned about the oil use in my car too. 2017 3.0 Prestige with just over 20K miles. Last oil change was on the year change in October. I already added a qt. about 3 months ago. After adding the qt. the gauge read full. Not driving much these days but I try to take the car out for a spin at highway and city speeds. Two weeks ago it was at the 3 indicator from the top. After a 30 min drive combined city and highway it went down to the 5th indicator .The other day after a 45 min. round trip it registered lower, to the 7th indicator

. See the screen shot below.

Now my dealer will add a qt. of oil free of charge and without an appointment. However, I own my car and at my age unless the car gets totaled it will be my last car, hopefully. BUT I hope to leave it to my son who's has 2 young children and I expect to see 100,000 plus miles .

So I have 2 q's. Is this too much consumption? Even if it is within AUDI specs how can we determine( if possible) if the car will get the 100,000 + use most cars SHOULD get with the correct oil maintenance?

Thanks

This sample size is too small. What has the oil consumption been like over 20 k miles?

Quick Reply: Is this oil consumption acceptable/normal?