Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Is this oil consumption acceptable/normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Is this oil consumption acceptable/normal?

775 miles on new Q7. Look at the photo of oil level. Is the amount indicated a reasonable consumption of oil for 775 miles? My last 3 vehicles didn't lose any noticeable oil in over 5K miles of driving. 2 Toyotas and one F1-50. I'm not used to adding ANY oil between oil changes but this Audi seems to be consuming oil at a rate none of my other vehicles have done since my 1978 Chevy Malibu (POS).

1. How much (expressed in quarts) does that represent as a reduction from FULL?

2. How much oil has been lost if the level shows near the bottom of the graphic?

Old 04-14-2020, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

The vehicle can lose a moderate amount of oil during initial break-in period. Also, modern engines are quite thirsty for oil. You should expect to loose a quart in approx. 8,000 miles. That's seems to be the usual occurrence with the Q7. However, you have the newer turbo engine - they are usually more thirsty.
The following users liked this post:
Dave_ (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Was it at Max when you took delivery? Might just be that it was a little low when you received it. I would swing by dealer and have them top it off and then watch from there.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bastjh
Was it at Max when you took delivery? Might just be that it was a little low when you received it. I would swing by dealer and have them top it off and then watch from there.
Yes it was on max and I checked it again after a couple hundred miles and was still at max. Do u know what the "min" level represents?
Old 04-14-2020, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Top to bottom of the graph is 1L (or has been for all my Audis over the last 10 years), or roughly 1/7 of the oil capacity of the car. The amount your car appears to be down is about 100 mL. Additionally, the electroinci measurement is subject to slight variations. It can slightly fluctuate from time to time. Also, it is possible that the car can use a bit of oil when new. My SQ5 has the same engine as the '20 Q7, and it doesn't use any oil. In short, your car has hardly used any oil, and is subject to measurement repeatability errors through the electronic dipstick. Nothing to be concerned about.
The following 3 users liked this post by NABS4:
bastjh (04-15-2020), Dave_ (04-14-2020), jtjbt20x (04-21-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ah, thank you very much for the detailed explanation. Knowing the full range of the bar gives me the info that I needed to better understand how much is "too much" of a drop in level. I understand that the amount it shows that it has lost is pretty negligible. I appreciate it hugely that you took the time to explain it all very clearly. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2020, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

As mentioned that scale is not full scale of oil capacity. When it gets to minimum it means minimum that is acceptable. It might very well fluctuate depending on when you measure it. I have seen it at times a little lower than max and then back up again. Regardless, between oil changes it is normal if it gets even half way between max and min.
Dave_ (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Heck, Audi says it's normal even if goes down to min and needs a quart of oil added between 10K oil changes! Mine did in fact require oil to be added once (I don't remember if it was between the time it was new and 1st oil change or between 1st and 2nd oil change, but I think it was the former), but hasn't needed any additional top-off's since then.
Dave_ (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Just to add to this. Audi says normal oil consumption of their engines is up to 1 quart per 1000 miles, so let that sink in for a moment. They won't even do anything about it until you burn more than 1 quart over 1000 miles. So keep that in mind. Audi engines unfortunately are known to burn oil. Lots of discussions around it. BMW engines, too, these days. You will get a warning when the oil reaches the min level at which point you can top it off with 1 qt. So in theory you are still within spec even if you have to top it off with 1 qt 10 times between the 10k oil change interval. Audi has gotten a little better about it. My 2007 S4 did indeed burn about a 1 qt every 1000 miles. I had a shelve full of oil bottles to top it off regularly. Don't miss that. My RS5 needed to be topped off about every 4k miles. Now I'm driving an AMG and for all intents and purposes burns zero oil. Even during the break in I did not have to top off for the first 10k miles. Lots of theories flying around on the subject. Some believe that the gentle engine break-in is too blame as the rings don't seal properly unless you break the car in hard from the beginning. The latter is often refereed to as the Motoman method. They supposedly demonstrated on motorcycle engines that a hard break-in seals the rings much better and eliminates blow by and oil consumption. FWIW, I follow the manufacturers' break-in instructions on all of my cars. My BMWs prior to 2007 burned no oil. All my Audis burned oil, and now my first ever AMG burns no oil, so you be the judge. My Audi dealership offered free top offs between services, because they know pretty much all their engines burn oil.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-15-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Dave_ (04-15-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Those that mentioned the variability of the oil level gauge were dead-on. Today, after a few more hundred miles, the gauge shows totally FULL. I miss having a dipstick.

Quick Reply: Is this oil consumption acceptable/normal?