Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil consumption

Hi all. We are seeing our 2019 Prestige using enough oil to have the light turn on consistently between 10K oil changes. Car now has around 18K miles on it and it’s needed to be topped off 3 times. Dealer does it for free and says it’s normal. First time was when the car had less than 2K miles. Just happened again today.

Anyone else experiencing this? First Audi for us so not sure what to expect. Seems excessive to me. Maybe I need oil changes closer to 5K and the 10K intervals are BS?

Old 12-30-2019, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my wife has had, Q3, Q5 and Q7 now. They all seem to burn oil, I just top if off myself.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My first Audi and yes same here for me on needing to top off my Q7. It is also Prestige level.

My local dealer says normal and though they did the first top off without a light on but I was about to go on vacation and stated I do not need car problems while on vacation. So it was around 4k miles and I think it was low 3/4 a quart. But then around 8900k miles the low oil light came on. So they topped it off again and I came in around 9200k miles to get my 10k service done.

I think it is low again. I had to take it in for the intake hose coming off and loud noise on acceleration but they suggested I let it go until the light comes on. I agree it seems a little unnatural for it to be normal but sounds like it does happen. Is it dependent on driving style?

My local dealer will top off for free. I have to find what the oil is they use but I swear it is something I cannot easily get.

So what oil do other people use to top off with?
Old 12-30-2019, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

FWIW 5 vehicles in my signature have 3.0T, and I have never added oil between service in any of them.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I got the low oil warning light around 6000 miles (2019 Premium Plus 3.0T). My service manager said that is normal and he gets asked the question multiple times a day, lol. Dealers will typically top it off for free or you can simply add around 1-qt yourself.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I just had to for the first time at 6k miles.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

There are many threads about oil consumption with the 3.0 engine. Bottom line some use a fair amount of oil.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My 3.0 Q7 is newly purchased so not sure how it will go.
But my previous experience with our current A4 2014 (2.0T) was not positive.
It started to burn oil after probably less than 1 year since purchased. We always went to dealer for the maintenance, and when we mentioned this problem to the mechanics, they always said it is normal.
So later after 3 years, the problem became more severe, but the mechanics still insisted it is normal, and simply handed me a bottle of oil asking me to add it myself if the oil light was on again.
Right in the first week after the 4th year (when warranty ended), one day I was driving on the highway, and suddenly the car trembled and then lost power. Luckily I was able to pull over safely.
Long story short, this ended up with an engine change due to some cylinder failure, and I suspected that must have something to do with the early oil burn.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rsm219
My 3.0 Q7 is newly purchased so not sure how it will go.
But my previous experience with our current A4 2014 (2.0T) was not positive.
It started to burn oil after probably less than 1 year since purchased. We always went to dealer for the maintenance, and when we mentioned this problem to the mechanics, they always said it is normal.
So later after 3 years, the problem became more severe, but the mechanics still insisted it is normal, and simply handed me a bottle of oil asking me to add it myself if the oil light was on again.
Right in the first week after the 4th year (when warranty ended), one day I was driving on the highway, and suddenly the car trembled and then lost power. Luckily I was able to pull over safely.
Long story short, this ended up with an engine change due to some cylinder failure, and I suspected that must have something to do with the early oil burn.
This happened to my mom with a C class MB. Mercedes covered the replacement under warranty even though the car was 6 years old (low miles and little old lady owner with all service documented at the dealer).
Old 01-03-2020, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So should I be concerned my 3.0T has been burning oil from purchase in April and plan to dump the vehicle?

And yes my dealer says this is normal and expected. Could the fact that I drive a lot maybe help it burn more oil (i.e. I have highway stretches where I"m going fast but then I also hit stop and go commute traffic at times, etc).

I haven't bought the Audi Care or extended warranty as I was holding out trying to figure out if this vehicle is actually not a keeper, etc. It is confusing/concerning to hear others have the issue and then others do not.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption