Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

New Q7 dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Default New Q7 dilemma

Ok, here's the deal. We have a 2013 Q7 P+ with approx 50,000 miles that we bought 2.5 years ago. Wife is frustrated with it as its underpowered, heavy, and missing some key features most notably Audi smart key. We have a small payment of $500 for another 2 years then we own it.

At a weak moment we took out a 2017 Q7 for an overnight test drive and of course we love the car. We were quoted a lease deal at approx $890 per month for 3 years and would walk away with a $6,000 check in the process as well.

Here's my quandary. Do I decrease my cash flow to the tune of $400 per month and get the new car which means wife and kids are very happy? Or suck it up and maybe pay off the existing Q7 now and INCREASE my cash flow by $500 per month? Other than the complaints stated above, there isn't anything wrong with her car. Then again, I'm not driving it every day.

Advice appreciated.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At a weak moment we took out a 2017 Q7 for an overnight test drive and of course we love the car
"A person does not walk on the lot lest he wants to buy."

Sounds like you want the car but need justification.

Just get it and avoid the drawn-out threads where strangers weigh in and act like they are conservative spendthrifts.

I am only living once and I am going to ride it out in leather-trimmed Audis.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Better than my dilemma... My wife said no to a second car as we really didn't "need" one... While I love the Q7, our Q5 (paid off) with a smaller car (RS3, S4 or potentially a 911/Boxter GTS type vehicle) would have been perfect. She pushed back so we came to terms with trading the Q5 in and getting a Q7. Now she is thinking of keeping the Q5 when I pick up my Q7 in a few weeks. I'm actually torn because the Q7 is spec'd exactly how I wanted it and I've waited 4 months. I could wait longer for the RS3 (i'm #2 on another dealer's list) and just pass on the Q7, but I'm not sure I want to wait.

Moral of the story... I'm probably keeping the Q7 once it arrives since I've waited so long, but I think I got hustled out of a sports car by my wife... At least the old adage of "Happy Wife, Happy life" will stay true...
Old 02-10-2017, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yolo

traded my fully loaded SQ5 for the bigger family vehicle

happy wife & kids = happy life

I'm sure you could hustle litte harder and figure out a way to cash flow more and own the new Q7
Old 02-10-2017, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hrp783
Yolo

traded my fully loaded SQ5 for the bigger family vehicle

happy wife & kids = happy life

I'm sure you could hustle litte harder and figure out a way to cash flow more and own the new Q7
When it was time to buy our new car, I really wanted the SQ5 loaded with the diamond quilted seats... Something about the quad back exhaust and red brake calipers just made it the dream ride, since we can't get RS4 avants here in the US. But when it came time to actually place the order, we ended up going with a Q7... Price was pretty much the same, but we got the latest tech and a third row, which will definitely fit our kids, and make it easier when the grandparents are in town to visit. It was a good balance of practicality and performance. Definitely a happy wife = happy life, but also make sure the money works... You definitely don't want to be car poor...
Old 02-10-2017, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Puzz1
Ok, here's the deal. We have a 2013 Q7 P+ with approx 50,000 miles that we bought 2.5 years ago. Wife is frustrated with it as its underpowered, heavy, and missing some key features most notably Audi smart key. We have a small payment of $500 for another 2 years then we own it.

At a weak moment we took out a 2017 Q7 for an overnight test drive and of course we love the car. We were quoted a lease deal at approx $890 per month for 3 years and would walk away with a $6,000 check in the process as well.

Here's my quandary. Do I decrease my cash flow to the tune of $400 per month and get the new car which means wife and kids are very happy? Or suck it up and maybe pay off the existing Q7 now and INCREASE my cash flow by $500 per month? Other than the complaints stated above, there isn't anything wrong with her car. Then again, I'm not driving it every day.

Advice appreciated.

What is you and your wife age?

What is your net worth? Assets minus liabilities/debt? Same question, excluding your home?

Do you have a mortgage? If yes, how much is the balance and what % interest rate and how many years left?

What's your combined income?

Are your 401k/403b/SEP/IRA/I-Bonds/Roth, fully funded for 2016 and 2017?

Are you assisting with children college tuition, is it fully funded?

The answers to the above will help with proper advice.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AWTX
What is you and your wife age? What is your net worth? Assets minus liabilities/debt? Same question, excluding your home? Do you have a mortgage? If yes, how much is the balance and what % interest rate and how many years left? What's your combined income? Are your 401k/403b/SEP/IRA/I-Bonds/Roth, fully funded for 2016 and 2017? Are you assisting with children college tuition, is it fully funded? The answers to the above will help with proper advice.
Go ahead an PM me your SSN, address and mother's maiden name while you're at it... (I'm kidding but the last poster just seems ridiculous)...

Grey
Old 02-11-2017, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Puzz1

Advice appreciated.
Suck it up. I made this exact mistake when I went from a 2009 Touareg to a 2012 Touareg because I wanted keyless. The 2009 was fully paid off. I looooove the keyless. But in the end I would have preferred to invest that cash to purchasing an upgraded vehicle.

Put all the promotional material away, go spend a weekend in the forest and when you get back ask if your life will be enriched by a slightly newer Q7.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greystoke
Go ahead an PM me your SSN, address and mother's maiden name while you're at it... (I'm kidding but the last poster just seems ridiculous)...

Grey
I think he was making an excellent point about financial responsibilities.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Shaolo
I think he was making an excellent point about financial responsibilities.
Yes - Shaolo

Grey - That was the sole purpose driving the questions. The background info, and context of increasing $400/month cashflow leaving the bank account is important. Only because he asked for financial advice. Not what color should he get for his next car.

I see this question and many variations come up daily on financial forums, i.e. https://www.bogleheads.org

Thanks!

Last edited by AWTX; 02-11-2017 at 04:45 AM.

Quick Reply: New Q7 dilemma