Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 - yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 - yay or nay?

I have a 2018 Q7 Prestige, that is no longer my daily driver. I use it primarily for our travel trailer (towing 7,000 pounds, 400-600 miles 3-4x/year with dirt road excursions at destinations at times) and my son uses it for very short trips to/from school and out with friends. The current Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 tires (OEM size: 285/45R20) are shot. They are great tires, but they are now over $430 a piece, and I only got 22,000 miles out of my current set. I am thinking of changing to to the Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 tire, but it does not come in the OEM size. I would downsize to 265/50R20, which is within reason in terms of rotation specs.

Pros for this switch:
1. $295/tire ($135 savings each)
2. 70K vs 45K mileage warranty, so they should wear much better and likely will be the last tire I buy for this car since it will remain low-mileage
3. I think it is a sturdier tire, so perhaps better for towing and light offroading. Does anyone have experience with this to confirm?

Possible cons:
1. Not as "premium" of a tire. Will ride quality and in particular road noise or pavement crack noise, be horrendous compared to the Pilot Sports?
2. 265 vs 285 width: will braking and cornering performance be an issue? My son is not a sporty driver, so I don't care about "track performance" but want to be sure we can perform an emergency maneuver or panic stop if needed
3. Looks - it really do not care about this.
4. Resale. At some point, I'll sell the Q7. These tires will be on there at the time of sale. Will this be a deal-breaker for resale or trade-in?

I would love your thoughts regarding this change.
Has anybody had the Defender LTX M/S2 on a Q7 or other similar vehicle? (Note that there is now the "2" version which is relatively new and improved from the original version.) If so, would you get them again?

IF this is a ridiculous idea, an alternative would be the Yokohama Geolandar X-CV tires since they have also been well-rated and are about $300 each and come in OEM sizing. They won't wear any better than the Pilot Sports did, but with such low usage going forward, maybe that no longer matters.

Old 02-15-2024, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

I know a lot of guys that run those on full size pickups. That's the "go to" tire to solve the "Chevy Shake" on '15-'19 Silverado/Sierra pickups. That's really a balancing problem, but that's also another story for another day. They're a decent tire. They have a really hard compound and a stiff sidewall. I haven't driven them personally, but haven't heard any real gripes about them.

Personally I really like the Continental DWS06 Plus tire. It's what I'm running on my Q7 now, and it's done me really well. I tow quite often, and commute daily for a total of over 25k mi/yr. I've gotten about 41k on them now, and will likely push them to 50k miles before replacement. They have a 275/45/20 size that is pretty close to what you have now, but slightly smaller. Slightly less cost at $289/tire from tire rack as well.

A second though, because I really like Continentals, is the Terrain Contact A/T's. These are definitely a bit more aggressive than your normal SUV tire, and definitely have a tougher "look" to them with the sidewall traction features. If you spend any time off pavement though, these might offer some additional traction, as well as protection from rocks/sticks/etc on the trail. They have a 265/50/20 (same size as the Michelins you're looking at), so no worries there. I ran these on my '15 GMC Sierra with excellent results. I moved to these after running BFG K02's that were god awful tires for anything except heavy off road use. The Continentals were a big upgrade for that truck. Lighter, quieter, and arguably better looking. Slightly less expensive, again, at $273/tire.

I run Continentals on everything I own that they make a tire for. Q7, Wifes Rogue, My old pick-em-up beater truck, hell, even my bicycle has Continentals on it. Boat trailer and lawn mower don't, but would if they made those sizes. I've found they're not the cheapest tire, but represent a really good middle ground between super high performance and cost, and bargain basement junk. They run true, wear long, and maintain traction throughout. For reference, my DWS06's are about 1/32 above the wear bars all around, and I drove through 8in of snow a few weeks ago without much issue. Some of that is Audi doing well with the Quattro system, some of it's the tires.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
AlbertQ7 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I ran those on our old Escalade and liked them so my first reaction is that it's overkill on something like a Q7. But then again, the Q7 is heavy (Escalade ESV was about 6K lbs and Q7 is just over 5k I think) so maybe you're onto something. The Defenders did last nearly the 70K miles they were said to last and were fantastic for handling all types of weather. Plus I drove the Escalade like it was a Q7 in dynamic mode so those tires got a work out!

Another idea (and I'm doing this on my Q7 now), run 275 sized Pilot Sport A/S. It's a smidge smaller but saves you over 100/tire. I'm nearly 38K into my set of Pilots and I'll do the exact same thing in a few months when I get the new set.
AlbertQ7 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,182 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
I have a 2018 Q7 Prestige, that is no longer my daily driver. I use it primarily for our travel trailer (towing 7,000 pounds, 400-600 miles 3-4x/year with dirt road excursions at destinations at times) and my son uses it for very short trips to/from school and out with friends. The current Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 tires (OEM size: 285/45R20) are shot. They are great tires, but they are now over $430 a piece, and I only got 22,000 miles out of my current set. I am thinking of changing to to the Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 tire, but it does not come in the OEM size. I would downsize to 265/50R20, which is within reason in terms of rotation specs.

Pros for this switch:
1. $295/tire ($135 savings each)
2. 70K vs 45K mileage warranty, so they should wear much better and likely will be the last tire I buy for this car since it will remain low-mileage
3. I think it is a sturdier tire, so perhaps better for towing and light offroading. Does anyone have experience with this to confirm?

Possible cons:
1. Not as "premium" of a tire. Will ride quality and in particular road noise or pavement crack noise, be horrendous compared to the Pilot Sports?
2. 265 vs 285 width: will braking and cornering performance be an issue? My son is not a sporty driver, so I don't care about "track performance" but want to be sure we can perform an emergency maneuver or panic stop if needed
3. Looks - it really do not care about this.
4. Resale. At some point, I'll sell the Q7. These tires will be on there at the time of sale. Will this be a deal-breaker for resale or trade-in?

I would love your thoughts regarding this change.
Has anybody had the Defender LTX M/S2 on a Q7 or other similar vehicle? (Note that there is now the "2" version which is relatively new and improved from the original version.) If so, would you get them again?

IF this is a ridiculous idea, an alternative would be the Yokohama Geolandar X-CV tires since they have also been well-rated and are about $300 each and come in OEM sizing. They won't wear any better than the Pilot Sports did, but with such low usage going forward, maybe that no longer matters.
good review here from tirerack on the new tire you mentioned.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=325

Originally Posted by keg97
I ran those on our old Escalade and liked them so my first reaction is that it's overkill on something like a Q7. But then again, the Q7 is heavy (Escalade ESV was about 6K lbs and Q7 is just over 5k I think) so maybe you're onto something. The Defenders did last nearly the 70K miles they were said to last and were fantastic for handling all types of weather. Plus I drove the Escalade like it was a Q7 in dynamic mode so those tires got a work out!

Another idea (and I'm doing this on my Q7 now), run 275 sized Pilot Sport A/S. It's a smidge smaller but saves you over 100/tire. I'm nearly 38K into my set of Pilots and I'll do the exact same thing in a few months when I get the new set.
this is what I did on two Q7s. I ran a 275 width tire on a 20 and 21 inch wheel with no issues and saved myself a substantial amount of money. much more tire options to pick from in this size as well...

275/45/20 on the OEM wheels and call it a day. much cheaper and more readily available. don't overthink it. Tirerack.com has been recommending this size for Q7s since the prior gen models when tire options in the OEM size were nearly impossible to find other than replacing with what came on the cars from the factory...
The following 2 users liked this post by mhoran89:
AlbertQ7 (02-15-2024), keg97 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by keg97

It's good to hear some personal feedback on the Defenders. Yeah, the Q7 isn't quite as heavy as the Escalade, but I have it maxed out when towing and I will feel better with the "overkill" it offers. That's impressive that they lasted 70K on an Escalade!

@2kwik4u Thank you for your thoughts as well. I knew the truck guys liked them as well, I just hope they are not out of place on the Q7. @keg97 makes me feel better about that. The DWS06 is tempting, and possibly what I would go for if I was still driving the Q7 daily. Even though the sizing down is a minimal change, I am a little worried about having less sidewall than I currently do. My son is not very good at pothole avoidance! Going the 265/50R20 route gives me a little extra protection. It's great to hear how good the DWS06 tires are, though. I'll have to keep those in mind for my EV6 one it needs new tires.

The Terrain Contact A/T looks interesting, but has only a 107 load rating (vs Defender's 111). That wouldn't matter normally, but I want 110 or above because of our travel trailer.

@mhoran89 Thanks for the tire rack link; I had seen it and along with some other forums which is why I was intrigued by the tire.

It's probably heresy to be putting the Defender on the Q7 since we usually highlight the "Sport" part of the Q7, but I think it is time to cater to it's "Utility" part. It has also just dawned on me that the Premium Plus and under versions come stock with 255/55R19s, and that is the size I'm running on Blizzak's for the winters, so these 265s aren't ridiculously narrow.

keg97 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes sir- 70K in just under 2 years....and that was through 2 winters. They were, by far, my favorite tires on that truck over the 160K we owned it. They were quiet, handled very well in all conditions, and obviously wore well. When I sold the truck, I recommended to the couple buying it to put another set of the Defenders on it.
AlbertQ7 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
It's good to hear some personal feedback on the Defenders. Yeah, the Q7 isn't quite as heavy as the Escalade, but I have it maxed out when towing and I will feel better with the "overkill" it offers. That's impressive that they lasted 70K on an Escalade!

@2kwik4u Thank you for your thoughts as well. I knew the truck guys liked them as well, I just hope they are not out of place on the Q7. @keg97 makes me feel better about that. The DWS06 is tempting, and possibly what I would go for if I was still driving the Q7 daily. Even though the sizing down is a minimal change, I am a little worried about having less sidewall than I currently do. My son is not very good at pothole avoidance! Going the 265/50R20 route gives me a little extra protection. It's great to hear how good the DWS06 tires are, though. I'll have to keep those in mind for my EV6 one it needs new tires.

The Terrain Contact A/T looks interesting, but has only a 107 load rating (vs Defender's 111). That wouldn't matter normally, but I want 110 or above because of our travel trailer.

@mhoran89 Thanks for the tire rack link; I had seen it and along with some other forums which is why I was intrigued by the tire.

It's probably heresy to be putting the Defender on the Q7 since we usually highlight the "Sport" part of the Q7, but I think it is time to cater to it's "Utility" part. It has also just dawned on me that the Premium Plus and under versions come stock with 255/55R19s, and that is the size I'm running on Blizzak's for the winters, so these 265s aren't ridiculously narrow.
I don't think you'll go wrong with the Defenders. They're good tires. I don't think the 265's are ridiculously narrow either.

The 107 load rating is still plenty acceptable. Gets you 4,298lbs of load for the rear axle. I scaled my Q7 with our boat attached. I had 340lbs of tongue weight and the rear axle only had 3,000lbs on it. Even if you go up to 770lbs, you're likely not going to break 4,00lbs of rear axle loading. The 110 gets you 4,672lbs of load for the rear axle. I'm all for safety factor addition, but I'm not sure it's 100% necessary here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing <--There's the numbers from when I scaled the Q7 and the boat.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2kwik4u
I don't think you'll go wrong with the Defenders. They're good tires. I don't think the 265's are ridiculously narrow either.

The 107 load rating is still plenty acceptable. Gets you 4,298lbs of load for the rear axle. I scaled my Q7 with our boat attached. I had 340lbs of tongue weight and the rear axle only had 3,000lbs on it. Even if you go up to 770lbs, you're likely not going to break 4,00lbs of rear axle loading. The 110 gets you 4,672lbs of load for the rear axle. I'm all for safety factor addition, but I'm not sure it's 100% necessary here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing <--There's the numbers from when I scaled the Q7 and the boat.
I've weighed my rig many times: I'm pushing the GAWR at 3800 pounds when I'm loaded with the family, dog, and trailer attached. So yeah, the 107 rating is technically enough, but when it's Utah hot out here and the tire temps are up from towing, I'll take the added buffer of the 110 (or even 111) rating. A blowout with that trailer in tow would be a bad day for sure!