Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Lowering Options for Q7 4M?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by anilx783
Hi Steve - If you don't mind sharing what was the total cost of change? Also how / is there any difference in the ride quality.
I don't think there is much of a difference in ride quality from the springs but more of a difference when changing from the stock 20s to the 22s because of the lower profile tire. Tire rack recommended air pressure at 42psi which made the tires feel like skateboard wheels. I've lowered the tire pressure to 40psi and it feels a lot more comfortable. This is my wife's car, and she has not complained about any loss of comfort.

Total cost of the springs and install was $711 - $311 for the springs from TireRack (no tax & free shipping) plus $400 for the install (4hrs labor).
The following users liked this post:
anilx783 (07-29-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will I need a camber kit or anything else for the springs?

how bad does it throw off the alignment? My dealer just did an alignment for me, windshield replacement.

looking for a set, where are the deals?
Old 11-06-2019, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In some of the earlier posts people were including "4M" and part of their model description. What does 4M mean?
Old 11-06-2019, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffmatt55@gmail.com
In some of the earlier posts people were including "4M" and part of their model description. What does 4M mean?
4M refers to the generation of the Q7. The 4M is model year 2016 to current.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Anyone know if I will need new Strut Mounts?

I was told by a reputable shop that I will also need to change the strut mounts on my Q7 4M when installing H&R springs. He is quoting $165 CAD +tax per each section (so x4), as well as 60 dollar for nuts and whatever extras. He explained to me that if the strut mounts are reused it could sacrifice the comfort of the ride...
Can anybody comment if there is any merit to this assertion or is it simply a money grab? Another shop I visited told me that it is not necessary, and I have not come across anything in my search that it would be.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-19-2021, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,179 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Uriznly
I was told by a reputable shop that I will also need to change the strut mounts on my Q7 4M when installing H&R springs. He is quoting $165 CAD +tax per each section (so x4), as well as 60 dollar for nuts and whatever extras. He explained to me that if the strut mounts are reused it could sacrifice the comfort of the ride...
Can anybody comment if there is any merit to this assertion or is it simply a money grab? Another shop I visited told me that it is not necessary, and I have not come across anything in my search that it would be.

Thanks in advance
Depends if the rubber is looking any good or not. Usually there are bearings in the top too on most cars that might not be a bad thing to replace if your car has a good number of miles and/or sees regular winter duty... can you send a pic of what the shop is claiming they "need to replace"?
Old 04-19-2021, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89
Depends if the rubber is looking any good or not. Usually there are bearings in the top too on most cars that might not be a bad thing to replace if your car has a good number of miles and/or sees regular winter duty... can you send a pic of what the shop is claiming they "need to replace"?
I have a 2018 with only 35000 kms on it; the car is in a really good shape.

I was told about this over phone/messages without them even seeing the car, so I wanted to know if it's:

1) General Practice
2) Mechanic's OCD (which I don't mind to an extent)
or 3) money grab.

Additionally I was also quoted $950 CAD + tax for the labour. So I was really shocked to have to pay $1900 CAD in total for labour, mounts, and tax (13%).

The 2nd shop who said I do not need the mounts has quoted me $720 all inclusive cash price (8 hours @ $90/hr).

So naturally I now have a dilemma as to frugality vs safety/comfort and turned here for help
Old 04-19-2021, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,179 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Uriznly
I have a 2018 with only 35000 kms on it; the car is in a really good shape.

I was told about this over phone/messages without them even seeing the car, so I wanted to know if it's:

1) General Practice
2) Mechanic's OCD (which I don't mind to an extent)
or 3) money grab.

Additionally I was also quoted $950 CAD + tax for the labour. So I was really shocked to have to pay $1900 CAD in total for labour, mounts, and tax (13%).

The 2nd shop who said I do not need the mounts has quoted me $720 all inclusive cash price (8 hours @ $90/hr).

So naturally I now have a dilemma as to frugality vs safety/comfort and turned here for help
If it were me... I would replace all inexpensive rubber bits while I was in there... but when I had my mechanic do it he said it was not necessary (since my prior A5 was spotless) but each to their own...
I would say go with the guy who's doing it cheap if he knows what he is doing and has a good reputation. You car seems very low in terms of mileage...
But I wouldn't mind hearing some other opinions too...
Old 07-28-2021, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Does lowering with the H&R springs requires to install a camber kit or the drop impact is minimal on camber?
Old 07-28-2021, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No.
The following users liked this post:
Dube (07-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Lowering Options for Q7 4M?