Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Looking at a used 2019 Prestige- should I buy an extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking at a used 2019 Prestige- should I buy an extended warranty

I saw a few online after market extended warranties, but not sure who everyone else might have went with or suggest.
Any things to look out for in the 2019 model year? Or should I look into the newer (2020-2021 model years)?
Thanks for your opinions!
Old 10-13-2020, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,180 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by Snopyro
I saw a few online after market extended warranties, but not sure who everyone else might have went with or suggest.
Any things to look out for in the 2019 model year? Or should I look into the newer (2020-2021 model years)?
Thanks for your opinions!
Anything other than early model year (2017s) will be much better off. I would tell you there really isn't that much that goes wrong with these cars.
Make sure you stay on top of diff fluid service (every 40-60K), check for water pump housing leaks, and do the recommended large 60k service.
Other than regular oil changes and tires and brakes they are quite reliable.
Yes some have sunroof creaks and rattles, and other little things... but for the most part even with such a technologically advanced car, I don't think the extended warranty is worth it.
Largest big ticket items I have seen are the active grille shutter motor fail and expensive alignments and brake job quotes... other than that it is pretty standard.
Hope this helps, but I am sure others will chime in as well.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

It depends how long you are planning to keep the car. As mhoran89 mentioned above, 2019 is the last year before refresh so most of the issues were corrected - so it is doubtful that there will be major issues with the car during the factory warranty period. Extended warranties are pretty costly and it's a roll of the dice whether they will pay for themselves - but so are the costs of the Audi repairs (my only repair thus far was a bad brake sensor - but the parts + labor out of warranty would have been easily 1K+ if it was out of warranty). Personally, I would probably get the extended warranty if planning to keep post factory - but it may make just as much sense to just keep the money and find a good local mechanic that specializes in German cars and pay them as you go.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dohturdima
It depends how long you are planning to keep the car. As mhoran89 mentioned above, 2019 is the last year before refresh so most of the issues were corrected - so it is doubtful that there will be major issues with the car during the factory warranty period. Extended warranties are pretty costly and it's a roll of the dice whether they will pay for themselves - but so are the costs of the Audi repairs (my only repair thus far was a bad brake sensor - but the parts + labor out of warranty would have been easily 1K+ if it was out of warranty). Personally, I would probably get the extended warranty if planning to keep post factory - but it may make just as much sense to just keep the money and find a good local mechanic that specializes in German cars and pay them as you go.
Correct. It will pay dividends to find a good local indy mechanic you can build a relationship with and trust once your warranty is expired.

Last edited by mhoran89; 10-13-2020 at 01:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bastjh (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the all of the input! I've used my extended warranty on my 2005 S4 Avant and it paid for itself, but I'm glad to hear that these are pretty solid cars. I'm already aware of the brake/tire costs as I previously owned a 2012 Q7 TDI- but good thing I can do the wrenching myself after buying parts from FCP Euro.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Snopyro
Thanks for the all of the input! I've used my extended warranty on my 2005 S4 Avant and it paid for itself, but I'm glad to hear that these are pretty solid cars. I'm already aware of the brake/tire costs as I previously owned a 2012 Q7 TDI- but good thing I can do the wrenching myself after buying parts from FCP Euro.
FYI I have had better luck on replacement parts pricing from europaparts than anywhere else. I cut my brake job down by 40% and gave my dealer OEM parts and they were impressed. YMMV though