Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

I found the best BOSE settings - I think...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I found the best BOSE settings - I think...

Hello all - As we are aware, the BOSE system in the Q7 falls short in many areas. I spent quite a bit of time with some instrumentation and I believe I have the overall best compromise. Yes, I said compromise as it will never sound great on anything, but I believe I have the best settings to sound GOOD on 95% of music. Please give it a week of listening and THEN let me know what you think. Happy Listening! Here is the link to pics of the settings.
The following 3 users liked this post by robjamell:
crumbird (06-18-2020), gm4511 (01-23-2020), MyLuv4Audi (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Thank you! I will try out your settings (I am far removed from being an audiophile, so left mine stock and thought they sounded fine).
Old 01-22-2020, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Thank you, will try this out!
Old 01-22-2020, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I was weird to move my fader towards the back of the Q7.. glad to see someone else likes it too.. lol
The following 2 users liked this post by TucsonQ7:
dropshadow (10-26-2023), Jonathan Fox (03-06-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TucsonQ7
I thought I was weird to move my fader towards the back of the Q7.. glad to see someone else likes it too.. lol
I moved it a bit back as well, otherwise the sound was focusing at the very front which is fine for listening podcasts, or concert style listening but I didn't like it for general music listening experience.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried it this morning and it's a huge improvement! Thank you! I never thought moving fader towards back could do it. Now I feel the sounds are surrounding instead of thin and directly from my windshield. Also the bass and drum sound more powerful than only maximizing the bass setting.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You are very welcome. The front door speakers output is very much lacking information below 125hz so it has trouble reproducing the bass harmonics. This means that without proper reproduction of those harmonics, the sub's sound becomes very localized to the rear of the vehicle. Additionally, without usable harmonic reproduction the sub will sound "one-notey". Since most "bass" constrols on audio gear are centered at 100HZ, by raising that setting we increase the output below 125hz. Unfortunatley it also affects 150hz-200hz a bit much, but it is give and take.

By moving the fader back you extend the width of the front soundstage, however one more click or so and the sound would shift to the rear. Kinda hard to polish a turd, but I believe these settings are definitely more well-rounded.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,177 Likes on 919 Posts

I think maxing out the bass is a little much for me.
What I don't understand is why would you put the focus to the front and then move the fader back two clicks? Is this more beneficial than keeping it on "all" and doing something else?
I personally am running the sub at more than middle, but maybe I tend to like more sub than most.

I do agree everything seems to come off the windshield as others have mentioned, which is a little overpowering...
Old 01-23-2020, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I cannot technically explain why because I don't know what the BOSE software is doing. I just know what the measurements show. I would still recommend trying to stick with the settings I said for about a week. I think you will find your bass much more well-rounded and real as that is what I have found dealing with thousands of systems over the years. But....like most things, it is subjective and you will end up with what you like best.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,177 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by robjamell
I cannot technically explain why because I don't know what the BOSE software is doing. I just know what the measurements show. I would still recommend trying to stick with the settings I said for about a week. I think you will find your bass much more well-rounded and real as that is what I have found dealing with thousands of systems over the years. But....like most things, it is subjective and you will end up with what you like best.
I appreciate the info.
Just curious, what were you using to determine all of this?
And did you instrument the test from the drivers seat listening position (could be a stupid question)?

I also think the sub is definitely under powered in these cars.

Quick Reply: I found the best BOSE settings - I think...