Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

FINALLY - Brake Squeal Resolved!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default FINALLY - Brake Squeal Resolved!!!

I am once again my wife's hero! Since the fall of 2016 her Q7 has had the dreaded brake squeal that occurred mostly while braking while reversing, and intensified as the temperature dropped. We addressed it every time it was in for service and received varying levels of response, none of which actually rid us of the squeal. I stopped checking in on the >50 page 2017 Q7 Brake Issues thread and started looking to trade her Q7 for something in the Lexus stable of SUVs. In the midst of looking for a replacement vehicle, I once again found myself on AW hoping to find that the squeal solution had been found. Then I stumbled upon a post by scortese that referenced some 'caliper springs' and mentioned that each of our front calipers have two spots that should be occupied with these 'caliper springs' (anti-rattle clips), but that only one was present per caliper. Scortese installed the missing clips and the squeal went away. I contacted Audi Hoffman Estates and ordered two of the clips and installed them over the weekend, and I am once again my wife's hero. BRAKE SQUEAL GONE! I understand the clips have been on for a short amount of time, but prior to the clips if the temp was below 40°, nine out of ten times we would experience the squealing while braking in reverse. Since the missing clips were installed we have had zero instances of brake squeal.

Parts ordered:
Part Number: 4M0615269B
Description: Disc Brake Anti-Rattle Clip
Quantity: 2
Cost: $75 with express shipping (I was excited to try this potential fix)

I have included scortese's pic of the caliper after installing the missing clip. If you suffer the dreaded squeal, take a peek at your front calipers and see if you're missing an anti-rattle clip on each side. The install was somewhat of a pain, but the resulting silence is music to my ears! Hopefully this works for others. Thanks scortese!

Thanks,

Ben
The following 3 users liked this post by BabaGhanoush:
blueshoe (01-07-2023), FoxFaceBstrd (03-20-2024), JayGur16 (10-05-2022)
Old 11-05-2019, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Old 11-05-2019, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder if we look at 2018 or 2019 Q7s if they have both sets of clips installed or just one. If two, then you know Audi knew about this...
Old 11-05-2019, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

wow, good work!
Old 11-05-2019, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here is a link to an ebay listing for a 2019 Q7 front caliper. Check it out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Q7-AUDI-201...EAAOSwLwtdtMGf
Old 11-05-2019, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BabaGhanoush
I am once again my wife's hero! Since the fall of 2016 her Q7 has had the dreaded brake squeal that occurred mostly while braking while reversing, and intensified as the temperature dropped. We addressed it every time it was in for service and received varying levels of response, none of which actually rid us of the squeal. I stopped checking in on the >50 page 2017 Q7 Brake Issues thread and started looking to trade her Q7 for something in the Lexus stable of SUVs. In the midst of looking for a replacement vehicle, I once again found myself on AW hoping to find that the squeal solution had been found. Then I stumbled upon a post by scortese that referenced some 'caliper springs' and mentioned that each of our front calipers have two spots that should be occupied with these 'caliper springs' (anti-rattle clips), but that only one was present per caliper. Scortese installed the missing clips and the squeal went away. I contacted Audi Hoffman Estates and ordered two of the clips and installed them over the weekend, and I am once again my wife's hero. BRAKE SQUEAL GONE! I understand the clips have been on for a short amount of time, but prior to the clips if the temp was below 40°, nine out of ten times we would experience the squealing while braking in reverse. Since the missing clips were installed we have had zero instances of brake squeal.

Parts ordered:
Part Number: 4M0615269B
Description: Disc Brake Anti-Rattle Clip
Quantity: 2
Cost: $75 with express shipping (I was excited to try this potential fix)

I have included scortese's pic of the caliper after installing the missing clip. If you suffer the dreaded squeal, take a peek at your front calipers and see if you're missing an anti-rattle clip on each side. The install was somewhat of a pain, but the resulting silence is music to my ears! Hopefully this works for others. Thanks scortese!

Thanks,

Ben
Good to know, and happy for you!
I remember seeing the detailed original post, can you repost it?
Now my fronts are OK, having been replaced TSB. But i don't know if they put the 2nd clip there. They should have had. But Why do we need to reengineer ourselves a 70k vehicle???

75$ for 2 clips? Ouch! Any other cheaper options on Ebay or discounters?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 11-05-2019, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ng/4m0615269b/

Originally Posted by BOBSQ5
Good to know, and happy for you!
I remember seeing the detailed original post, can you repost it?
Now my fronts are OK, having been replaced TSB. But i don't know if they put the 2nd clip there. They should have had. But Why do we need to reengineer ourselves a 70k vehicle???

75$ for 2 clips? Ouch! Any other cheaper options on Ebay or discounters?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 11-05-2019, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So you never had the TSB done from Audi, is that right? The TSB does involve adding the clips to the calipers.

Originally Posted by BabaGhanoush
Old 11-05-2019, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Honestly, we had brought it in 4 times since taking ownership and mentioned the brake squeal each time. Every time they said it was fixed and that the noise was gone, but that wasn't the case.

Interesting that the 2019 caliper had both clips in the ebay pic. I then searched for a 2017 caliper and the only instance I found only had one clip.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 11-05-2019, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=BabaGhanoush;25383550]Honestly, we had brought it in 4 times since taking ownership and mentioned the brake squeal each time. Every time they said it was fixed and that the noise was gone, but that wasn't the case.

I totally hear'ya! Somehow dealership service went sour on us, on this one. Awfull experience, to have to push,hassle etc..., just for something to be made right.

My rears squealing now, so i will outsource something from my trusty Indy shop.
By the way, did an oilchange withe the VAG approved Liqui Molly, and cars feels different, in a better way. Smoother pulls.

Cheers,
Bob

Quick Reply: FINALLY - Brake Squeal Resolved!!!