Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Drive System Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 794 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by pbilling
Hello,
the active grill was replaced audi and was covered by extended warranty. I am facing another issue now. I got the oil chnage from my lical VW dealer and now the engine light is on again after the oil change. I have reported this to the dealer and they will look into it tomorrow. Any idea why would engine light turn on after oil change?
If it is a low level warning, they just didn't fill up enough oil.
It is always worth checking its level in MMI after servicing the car and changing the oil.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I don't mind driving my Q7 Prestige 2017 115K miles with the grill stuck open. Is there anyway we can clear the error permanently by bypassing certain sensor?

Does anyone have a picture of where this active grill motor is located ?
I want to spray some WD-40 or hit it with a stick.

Last edited by adobian; 07-06-2022 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,182 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by adobian
Hello all, I don't mind driving my Q7 Prestige 2017 115K miles with the grill stuck open. Is there anyway we can clear the error permanently by bypassing certain sensor?

Does anyone have a picture of where this active grill motor is located ?
I want to spray some WD-40 or hit it with a stick.
the motor is known to fail. only way to fix it is to replace the physical shutter motor. requires removal of the front bumper and grille.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So I'm looking for the parts to replace and have found the shutter motor at a place called www.audiusaparts.com. The site says all their parts are genuine. Can anyone vouch for this place?

Link to the Motor replacement - only $41.58
https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-par...05NUI5NjU1MDFT

Link to the whole Shutter - marked down from MSRP to $269.37
https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-par...MtMGwtdjYtZ2Fz

Reason I'm asking is my local non-dealer mechanic said if I showed him a place to get the part, he'd gladly install it for me and just charge for the labor. So just wanna make sure I know where I'm buying from if I follow through with buying either the motor or the entire shutter.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bugsy21
So I'm looking for the parts to replace and have found the shutter motor at a place called www.audiusaparts.com. The site says all their parts are genuine. Can anyone vouch for this place?

Link to the Motor replacement - only $41.58
https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-par...05NUI5NjU1MDFT

Link to the whole Shutter - marked down from MSRP to $269.37
https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-par...MtMGwtdjYtZ2Fz

Reason I'm asking is my local non-dealer mechanic said if I showed him a place to get the part, he'd gladly install it for me and just charge for the labor. So just wanna make sure I know where I'm buying from if I follow through with buying either the motor or the entire shutter.
you only need the motor. that place should be legit. if you are worried you could always get from a stand up vendor like FCP euro. quick shipping too.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-...xoC7rUQAvD_BwE

basic settings will need to be adapted to the car, since it will need to learn the set points of open and closed on the shutters once the new motor (actuator) is installed.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My 2019 A7 is currently in the shop for this very reason, for the 3rd time. Finally took it to a dealership out of state for "fresh eyes".Any updates? The dealership is perplexed as of now.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll start with the ending - we had a local Euro shop replace the grill shutter entirely (incl motor) and it set me back ~$935. I had originally brought him the motor but he said he was leery of replacing just that ("I'd hate to replace that and then you're coming back 3 days later needing the shutter replaced"). He and his dad who own the shop seem like standup people, so I took him at his word and had the whole thing changed out which added about ~$300 more to the total than I was hoping (motor by itself cost ~$50 vs whole grille shutter MSRP at $365). Ultimately getting it done for under 1K was my goal and got that done even if by a slim margin.

It's been about a week and no MIL or any warnings so far... [and now that I have put it in writing it means the light will surely come on later today 🤦‍♂️]

Sidenote/mini-rant: My local Audi dealer is a total clownshow right now... flash back like a month ago, first available appt was like 3-4 weeks out, so I scheduled it and said I would need a loaner. I show up and they say they don't have a loaner so I reschedule about 5 days later (when the service tech says they might have a loaner) and when I show up, the same rep says they don't do loaners anymore and is looking at me like I have 2 heads. Regardless, I leave the car and take an Uber to work... I don't hear anything back, so I check with them around 3pm and they say they hadn't even started anything on my car yet and things are really backed up (I dropped it off around 8:30am)... so I told them not to touch it and I'll just take the car. I asked if it was overbooking or lack of labor/mechanics and the guy sorta smirked "both." I can understand lack of manpower but it was pretty annoying to have someone 1) gaslight me essentially about a loaner and then 2) sorta admittedly chuckle about irresponsibly overbooking maintenance/service.

Anyway, that's when I called that local spot - was able to bring it in like 2-3 days later and they had me fixed up by the morning after I brought it in. Happy ending ultimately.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bugsy21
I'll start with the ending - we had a local Euro shop replace the grill shutter entirely (incl motor) and it set me back ~$935. I had originally brought him the motor but he said he was leery of replacing just that ("I'd hate to replace that and then you're coming back 3 days later needing the shutter replaced"). He and his dad who own the shop seem like standup people, so I took him at his word and had the whole thing changed out which added about ~$300 more to the total than I was hoping (motor by itself cost ~$50 vs whole grille shutter MSRP at $365). Ultimately getting it done for under 1K was my goal and got that done even if by a slim margin.

It's been about a week and no MIL or any warnings so far... [and now that I have put it in writing it means the light will surely come on later today 🤦‍♂️]

Sidenote/mini-rant: My local Audi dealer is a total clownshow right now... flash back like a month ago, first available appt was like 3-4 weeks out, so I scheduled it and said I would need a loaner. I show up and they say they don't have a loaner so I reschedule about 5 days later (when the service tech says they might have a loaner) and when I show up, the same rep says they don't do loaners anymore and is looking at me like I have 2 heads. Regardless, I leave the car and take an Uber to work... I don't hear anything back, so I check with them around 3pm and they say they hadn't even started anything on my car yet and things are really backed up (I dropped it off around 8:30am)... so I told them not to touch it and I'll just take the car. I asked if it was overbooking or lack of labor/mechanics and the guy sorta smirked "both." I can understand lack of manpower but it was pretty annoying to have someone 1) gaslight me essentially about a loaner and then 2) sorta admittedly chuckle about irresponsibly overbooking maintenance/service.

Anyway, that's when I called that local spot - was able to bring it in like 2-3 days later and they had me fixed up by the morning after I brought it in. Happy ending ultimately.
make sure your local shop adapted the new shutter motor to the car. that is what is key. you don't want the new motor to be trying to open or close the shutters past where they can be moved and wearing it out prematurely. there is also a software update for these cars depending on the vintage of ECU software you have to help prevent this issue in the first place. most likely only the dealer can get you that version of software.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q5 132,00O miles Drive system malfunction & radio

I am new from Phoenix AZ to this forum but have been driving my 2018 Q5 with the Drive System malfunction lights on for 6 months trying to find a fix less than the $4500 the dealer quoted. They said it is the shifter mechanism. The warning light will screech 4-5 times a day but the car is drivable and it is my job so I could sure use any advice. Have an independent tech who works on Audi trying to get the part. Also my radio shuts off and then comes back on in a few secs prob 6 times a day.
Old 08-21-2022, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Also count me in for this infamous problem on our 2017 Q7. Drive system malfunction. Scanned with OBDEleven and the motor is the source (no other codes). You can hear the motor making big noises opening and closing when you just turn the ignition on. I am so glad I still have an extended warranty.

Has anyone replaced the motor himself?

Quick Reply: Drive System Malfunction?