Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Drive System Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Grille Shutter Motor Situation As Above

Help! After getting the Drive System Malfunction message and then OBDII grille shutter motor code on my 2017 Q7 (and a lot of other strange happenings) my wife authorized the Colorado Springs dealer to replace it - an expensive deal. I printed out the TSB that you (mhoran89) posted and took that back to the service rep, who knew nothing about it or the 8 year/80K federal warranty. So he researched it yesterday and came back with this: "There are a litany of parts covered under that policy, considered "Emission Control Parts," but those are only for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first. The parts that are covered under the 8 year/80k warranty are considered "Major Emission Control Components" and are limited to the catalytic converter, the Engine Control Module, or the On -Board diagnostic Device (OBD port). Please feel free to check this link for more information: https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100NNQH.pdf. Thank you- Andrew".

So, how does the 1E1 warranty actually work as outlined in previous posts by several users? I need specifics to take back to the dealership. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,177 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Brock
Help! After getting the Drive System Malfunction message and then OBDII grille shutter motor code on my 2017 Q7 (and a lot of other strange happenings) my wife authorized the Colorado Springs dealer to replace it - an expensive deal. I printed out the TSB that you (mhoran89) posted and took that back to the service rep, who knew nothing about it or the 8 year/80K federal warranty. So he researched it yesterday and came back with this: "There are a litany of parts covered under that policy, considered "Emission Control Parts," but those are only for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first. The parts that are covered under the 8 year/80k warranty are considered "Major Emission Control Components" and are limited to the catalytic converter, the Engine Control Module, or the On -Board diagnostic Device (OBD port). Please feel free to check this link for more information: https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100NNQH.pdf. Thank you- Andrew".

So, how does the 1E1 warranty actually work as outlined in previous posts by several users? I need specifics to take back to the dealership. Thanks in advance.
Nope, once again stick it to them!!!!!
Tell them the car threw a CEL and when a car is displaying a CEL / MIL the car cannot pass an "emissions inspection". Regardless of the state you are in the car needs to pass. If the car is throwing a code that would prevent you from "passing an inspection" under 8yr/80k then it's on the MFG. Ask to speak with the service manager. If they are not cooperating, tell them you are going to escalate with Audi of America and explain it to them. I honestly have not heard of one case where the dealer has denied someone this if your car is under FEW.

Is the dealer giving you a loaner car or do you not need the car right now? Or have you already picked the car up? I say worst case you escalate to AoA and don't be afraid to let the dealer know. This will surely get their attention and it should not even need to come to a boil this severely. Let us know what happens!
Old 04-28-2021, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Our county doesn't require emissions. What's my angle?
Old 04-28-2021, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Our county doesn't require emissions. What's my angle?
Do you have the car back yet, have you paid for the repair?
It's irrelevant! What happens if you move tomorrow? Neither Audi, nor your dealer can bank on the fact that you live in a state, county, city, that doesn't require something... It's called a FEDERAL EMISSIONS WARRANTY not a little city, in west county, in east Alabama warranty... no offense to Alabama
Old 04-28-2021, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Work was done and paid for 7 weeks ago. Just discovered this thread a few days ago. I would also think the lack of emissions testing in the county is irrelevant to this. The service rep is just not seeing much supporting evidence beyond the TSB and I'm not sure how to drill that into him without a government website that spells it out specifically.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Work was done and paid for 7 weeks ago. Just discovered this thread a few days ago. I would also think the lack of emissions testing in the county is irrelevant to this. The service rep is just not seeing much supporting evidence beyond the TSB and I'm not sure how to drill that into him without a government website that spells it out specifically.
So after reading this you might be SOL but I would want AoA to tell you the same. The dealer is not in a good position to go back to AoA and the warranty administrator on your behalf 7 weeks after the repair has been made. However AoA may pick up some or all of the bill and reimburse you if you go to them... they may not even contact the dealer other than verifying the work was done there...

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-arti...verlooked.html

I am curious if anyone else has any suggestions as well....
Old 04-29-2021, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mhoran89
So after reading this you might be SOL but I would want AoA to tell you the same. The dealer is not in a good position to go back to AoA and the warranty administrator on your behalf 7 weeks after the repair has been made. However AoA may pick up some or all of the bill and reimburse you if you go to them... they may not even contact the dealer other than verifying the work was done there...

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-arti...verlooked.html

I am curious if anyone else has any suggestions as well....
So, the North Carolina consumer info on the other end of that link indicates that the warranty covers vehicles which are licensed in parts of that state which administer emissions testing. It indicates nothing about the possibility of the car being moved from an area not requiring emissions to an area that requires it sometime in the future. If that's the way the federal warranty actually works, it may be a difficult angle to convince Audi of, but of course this is just North Carolina. I wonder if there's another doc that clarifies the qualifications on a more universal basis?
Old 05-25-2021, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two weeks into my certified '17 Q7 3.0 Prestige, I'm getting the Drive System Malfunction message now just about daily on moderate to aggressive acceleration. Already had a service scheduled for a couple of small issues, this is now the more important reason for the visit. The car is pretty obviously misfiring and has gone into limp mode a couple of times. If I'm suggesting issues to the service department, what should I be pointing them toward?
Old 05-26-2021, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had my 2018 Q7 Prestige in for a wheel bearing noise/replacement and mentioned the intermittent drive system malfunction error. I attach the service order for both. The drive system malfunction repair is outlined on page 2. There is also reference to TSB 2055916/357. In my case the error was related to a driver's door latch. Weird.

I hope this helps others with the same issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Q7 repairs.pdf (369.3 KB, 234 views)
Old 05-26-2021, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSA6
I had my 2018 Q7 Prestige in for a wheel bearing noise/replacement and mentioned the intermittent drive system malfunction error. I attach the service order for both. The drive system malfunction repair is outlined on page 2. There is also reference to TSB 2055916/357. In my case the error was related to a driver's door latch. Weird.

I hope this helps others with the same issue.
Thanks, I've read a lot of different weird things related to this. Mine is clearly running on 5 cylinders when this happens, so I'm certain that's the trigger. Bad plug, coil, or something of that sort. I'll hope the tech is knowledgeable and can troubleshoot it on their own.

Last edited by Quadzillabill; 05-26-2021 at 07:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Drive System Malfunction?