Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

downpipe exhaust rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,179 Likes on 921 Posts
Default downpipe exhaust rattle

HELP! long story short I have a 20K mile 2018 CPO Q7 and it went in this morning for an exhaust rattle. dealer confirmed issue by listening to it and hearing the noise when banging on the exhaust pipe while it was on a lift. went through their warranty administrator and apparently this portion of the exhaust is exempt from the CPO warranty. car is under a year old to me.

I have a full parts list (both left and right downpipes right after the cats - includes resonators) and it is around $500 online. around $800 from the dealer. they want $350 to do the labor and my indy wants $200 and is willing to let me bring all the parts to him.

who at Audi of America can I reach out to for a goodwill repair? This is an $81K vehicle that sounds like bolts in a coffee can every time it starts up and it's completely unacceptable. I am going to pull the sob story card and see where I can get with it... considering this is my 6th Audi vehicle and I might have some pull.

or does anyone have a TSB that they can reference? since the car is under the CPO warranty maybe I can pull that card...

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-18-2022, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

you are one super liker of the Q7 AFAIK I'd say if there is no real leak, just try to place or stick some double sided padding material where it rattles off?? A simple hack I did for stopping my sunroof noise in a different car.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ram0201
you are one super liker of the Q7 AFAIK I'd say if there is no real leak, just try to place or stick some double sided padding material where it rattles off?? A simple hack I did for stopping my sunroof noise in a different car.
I am not going to bandaid fix this particular issue. I only hear it on startup and it doesn't bother me until my buddy pointed out the noise. $750 for downpipes that are known to go bad is not a bad cost of repairs, but I would like to stick this to corporate before I go ahead and pay it out of pocket. My CPO runs out in October so I have a bit of time to figure this one out.

This is my second Q7 but it is my 6th audi. I do like the vehicles.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hwy,,,,so I had the same rattling issue and my dealership replaced the downpipes per the TSB (see link below). Perhaps since the TSB is from 2020, they may offer some help here! Good luck!

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...82174-0001.pdf
Old 05-19-2022, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are they sure it's not just the supports/brackets of the downpipes?

I have a 2017 that sounded like a bicycle when decelerating between 1900rpm and 1100rpm.
By just tightening the screws, my mechanic (here in Coral Gables, FL) fixed the 95% of the sound. And of course he confirmed it was not engine related.
So he even recommended not to change the brackets.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...82174-0001.pdf

Perhaps if your indy does this in 15min, and the sounds reduced noticeably, you'll be happier.

. Proceed with the adjustment method below:
 Loosen the exhaust clamp (A), exhaust bracket (B)
 Then re-tighten beginning with clamp (A) and then bracket (B) (Figure 1).

BTW, at the audi dealer here in Coral Gables, they couldn't even find the noise. He said: it's the injectors... or the chain......
Old 05-20-2022, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

so that TSB is for the downpipe droning. I can play it off like the pipes are "droning" with another dealer and also tell them the exhaust is making a terrible noise and try to get them to replace everything... but my understanding is these components are still not CPO.

does anyone have a contact at AoA in regards to getting something like this goodwilled if they would cover it?
Old 05-23-2022, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

make sure they are not the flex pipes. I had the same rattle at startup and a light rumble on idle/throttle. It was rusted out flex pipes and cost $1700 out the door at the dealer including parts and labor.
car is super quiet now (sort of wish it was louder
Old 05-24-2022, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by audisession
make sure they are not the flex pipes. I had the same rattle at startup and a light rumble on idle/throttle. It was rusted out flex pipes and cost $1700 out the door at the dealer including parts and labor.
car is super quiet now (sort of wish it was louder
my understanding is it is the flex pipe (pipe). don't know if it is actually the flex section though. the parts are less than $550 online and my dealer said it was $350 to install. they gave me all the required OEM part numbers. my indy mechanic said it was $200 to install. looks like you got taken to the cleaners but really the dealer just made a healthy markup on the parts and charged big for labor. Labor here in southern NH (where I go for dealer work) is about $175 an hour. Much closer to Boston it is more like $250 an hour.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

does anyone have a contact at audi of america to look into getting something like this covered under good will? thanks.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hope you have better luck than me

Originally Posted by mhoran89
does anyone have a contact at audi of america to look into getting something like this covered under good will? thanks.
I made an appointment to take mine in since it started rattling within 800 miles of the 2nd set of downpipe replacements. The night before my appointment my Q7 rolled from 49,999 to 50k miles. The dealer told me there's nothing they can do once the vehicle has 50k miles, and I had to abandon my appointment.

I spoke to Audi corporate, shared my history and my love for VWAG products hoping for some good will on Audi's behalf. My wife has an S3 and I also have a B5 S4 but they said there's nothing that they can do since the dealers are privately owned and it's up to the dealer discretion.

Quick Reply: downpipe exhaust rattle