Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

DIY Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
I'd be surprised if your municipality didn't have some sort of hazardous waste disposal program. Some jurisdictions also mandate that companies that sell oil also have to accept the used oil for disposal. In my case I keep a 10 gallon jug for used oil and empty it at the "Eco Depot" periodically when I dispose of used batteries, electronics, appliances, etc.
They do. It's just a mess I don't want to fool with transporting used oil and filters.

Last edited by Jim Jistel; 12-26-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Well I'm lucky that my company goes through a lot of oil and we have a used oil tank on site that I can put my used oil in and I put my used oil filter in the regular garbage can. The local o'reilly / autozone / pep boys take it for free as well as our local county drop off sites.
Don't want to sound like your Mom but a used oil filter contains a significant amount of oil along with chemicals from combustion. They go on to contaminate the ground water if disposed of in regular trash.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Great info thanks guys. There are lots of options for disposal. One not mentioned is the hazardous waste pickup by fire departments. If not a fire dept most places have a "floating" location you take paint, fluorescent tubes with mercury, computer monitors, etc. put the filter in a baggie and oil in milk jugs and off you go. There's also usually a location at city/county dump sites that's mandated by EPA (I think).
I gather those items in a box in the garage and once a year Google for sites and schedules and usually find someplace close that is open at a convenient time.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So U buy a $60+K luxury vehicle but u change ur own oil? Why?
Old 12-28-2016, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by xfirechief
So U buy a $60+K luxury vehicle but u change ur own oil? Why?

Because I can, because I enjoy doing my own maintenance and because I like to keep money in my pocket instead of putting more of it in the dealers pocket. It cost me less than $50.00 and 30 minutes of time to change my oil.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Because I can, because I enjoy doing my own maintenance and because I like to keep money in my pocket instead of putting more of it in the dealers pocket. It cost me less than $50.00 and 30 minutes of time to change my oil.
No need for you to justify it. I would if I could. I also wash the car myself.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Interchangeability and PartNumbers

Hello folks,

Does anyone know if the MKI 3.0T oil filters will fit into the MKII?

Noticed that the Audi/ VW partnumber 06E115562 has versions A-H. Be interesting to know the difference.

Thanks!!
-Chris
Old 01-14-2017, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tigerfan
Is this the oil tube? It's the middle black cover that looks like a dipstick for something. Attachment 56769
Where is this located in the engine bay and how do you remove it? Does it twist off?
Old 01-17-2017, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EricNCSU1204
Where is this located in the engine bay and how do you remove it? Does it twist off?

It's on the driver side, closer toward the front of the engine bay. You have to take off the big air filter cover first and then look straight down. Once you locate it, just pull straight up.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Glad to know I'm not the only DIY Audi owner. My service guys at the dealership tell me I am kind of rare :-). BTW y'all are going to need to look into VAG com or Carista or such to reset the service reminders in your MMI. I use VAG com. Been driving ( and servicing) Audis for 15 years now. And FWIW the Q7 is a piece of cake compared to a Mk1 TT :-)

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change