Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dealer refusing to update MMI software

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dealer refusing to update MMI software

I'm experiencing some bugs with the MMI software, particularly with respect to Android Auto. I've checked the software version and discovered it's old, and that a newer software purports to fix the intermittent problems I'm having.

I've even found a TSB which references the issue and involves updating the software to resolve it. The dealer says since they there are no faults and since they can pair an Android phone without issue, they won't update the software.

This seems crazy to me - any suggestions on how to navigate the issue?
Old 10-15-2020, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by EnerJi
I'm experiencing some bugs with the MMI software, particularly with respect to Android Auto. I've checked the software version and discovered it's old, and that a newer software purports to fix the intermittent problems I'm having.

I've even found a TSB which references the issue and involves updating the software to resolve it. The dealer says since they there are no faults and since they can pair an Android phone without issue, they won't update the software.

This seems crazy to me - any suggestions on how to navigate the issue?
I would try to speak to the manager of the dealership and explain that you are having issues that an issued TSB should address, and failing that contact AOA and try to get them to get the dealer to play ball. AOA support on these types of issues could be limited at best, but it won't hurt to try. Failing that, would consider trying a different dealership who would potentially glad to help you update the MMI in order to get your future business.

Dealers differ - some will do their best to try to satisfy their customer, and others will come up with excuses as to why something can't be done. I switched dealerships once for that very reason - my brand new Q7 car was delivered without an activation code tag for AudiConnect and my original dealer, Audi of Lynbrook, would do literally nothing resolve the issue - which was resolved in 10 minutes at a different dealership at my expense (and in my case calling AOA did not help).
The following users liked this post:
calculi (10-16-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 11:05 AM
Abidi51214

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you please share the TSB link. I am having some intermittent issues with Android Auto and i have an appointment with the dealership on Monday.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2020, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dohturdima
Dealers differ - some will do their best to try to satisfy their customer, and others will come up with excuses as to why something can't be done. I switched dealerships once for that very reason - my brand new Q7 car was delivered without an activation code tag for AudiConnect and my original dealer, Audi of Lynbrook, would do literally nothing resolve the issue - which was resolved in 10 minutes at a different dealership at my expense (and in my case calling AOA did not help).
That's nuts. This is a new dealer to me, and so far I'm not getting a good feeling about their customer service. BUT, the good news is they now say they did in the end update the software after multiple queries from me as to why they would not. Trust but verify; so we'll see when I pick up the car...

Originally Posted by Abidi20
Could you please share the TSB link. I am having some intermittent issues with Android Auto and i have an appointment with the dealership on Monday.
Thanks
Sure thing. Here's the direct link from NTHSA:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...76040-0001.pdf
The following users liked this post:
Abidi20 (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

[QUOTE=EnerJi;25509081]That's nuts. This is a new dealer to me, and so far I'm not getting a good feeling about their customer service. BUT, the good news is they now say they did in the end update the software after multiple queries from me as to why they would not. Trust but verify; so we'll see when I pick up the car...

Glad to hear it! At the very least you can hold them to it if they didn't. Thank you for the TSB link.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,180 Likes on 921 Posts

I have to imagine my car has really old MMI software and I bet some of the spotify freezing issues on Carplay might be fixed with an update.
When they threatened that you have to pay for it out of pocket... what did they quote you? Do you know what the most up-to-date version of software is right now?
Old 10-15-2020, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dohturdima
Glad to hear it! At the very least you can hold them to it if they didn't. Thank you for the TSB link.
You're welcome. As I feared, when I checked the software it had NOT been updated. The service advisor was apologetic and promised to get it done the next day. Let's see...

Originally Posted by mhoran89
I have to imagine my car has really old MMI software and I bet some of the spotify freezing issues on Carplay might be fixed with an update.
When they threatened that you have to pay for it out of pocket... what did they quote you? Do you know what the most up-to-date version of software is right now?
They never actually quoted me - just said (at first) that it didn't need to be done and therefore they wouldn't do it. They finally said they would do it, and as I mentioned just above, when I went to pick up the car it had not been updated (still on 692 which came from the factory). My understanding is 1422 might be the latest, but when I get it back tomorrow (presumably actually updated this time), I can check and let you know what software version I see.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,180 Likes on 921 Posts

You're welcome. As I feared, when I checked the software it had NOT been updated. The service advisor was apologetic and promised to get it done the next day. Let's see...

They never actually quoted me - just said (at first) that it didn't need to be done and therefore they wouldn't do it. They finally said they would do it, and as I mentioned just above, when I went to pick up the car it had not been updated (still on 692 which came from the factory). My understanding is 1422 might be the latest, but when I get it back tomorrow (presumably actually updated this time), I can check and let you know what software version I see.
Thanks, keep me in the the loop. Audi seems to be fine with all this software update business and taking a swipe at the customer to see if they will pay for it.
I would really like to know the bug fix / stability improvement list on the latest versus what I have now... to see if it would make any difference...
Old 10-16-2020, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you know your version number? we've been experiencing CarPlay issues for a while now.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's crazy to me that in 2020 with WiFi and SIM cards in all these cars that the MMI cannot be updated over the air. I read just today BMW is updating recent models to Android Auto including Wireless OVER THE AIR! Audi seems way behind the times here.

ItQUOTE=PROEDGEBIKER.COM;25509443]do you know your

​​​​version number? we've been experiencing CarPlay issues for a while now.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Dealer refusing to update MMI software