Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

CREC engine interchange?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that sucks, strange the cats don't fit. i know they hug the shield closely so if it was bent or dented in any way would cause interference. i had to swap the shield and combi valve with engine in vehicle
Old 04-24-2024, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

We also took the engine out through the front. Getting it to line up with transmission was a bear. Eventually we lowered the steering rack to get it to fit back in. I am going to have to lower the subframe to get the cats in. Had to unbolt them from exhaust manifolds to get engine back in. I searched and searched online and lowering the subframe is what I found folks had to do to get them in.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Made some progress today, took about 4 hours to get to this point. Not a bad job so far. I'll take pictures to document the differences between the engines.
The following users liked this post:
CottonMcKnight (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Didn't make much progress today, spent way to much time trying to figure out how to remove the starter lol
I did take pics of the differedifferences that were mentioned prior.

Old 05-03-2024, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Made some good progress today, just about have everything swapped over. Definitely tedious, especially cleaning the matting surfaces. Here are some more pics of the differences.

Old 05-03-2024, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Could you take pic of the exhaust valve on both engine since the exhaust manifolds are off?
I would like to see what burning oil does to the exhaust valves.
Old Today, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by buddywilson
so i just finished the replacement. it took alot longer then expected due to finding broken stuff and improvising but here is the key differences that i have found
  1. Rear lower timing cover is different. The only difference i could tell is for the CKP sensor. the sensor on the A6 to Q7 are different in length and design. for me i was in a pinch, measured the difference and put a 3.5 mm spacer and it worked. This also goes for the reluctor ring (what tells the CKP the position of the crank) they had different part numbers but where identical in size. so i took the reluctor ring off of my original engine. i also used the same drive plate (flywheel) from my Q7 just incase and it was cleaner looking
  2. passenger side combi valve and heat shield are different on the Q7, need to swap for the cat to fit, the combi valve for driver side is the same im pretty sure but the shield was different. so i just swapped it all
  3. the vacuum line coming off of the vacuum pump (after the one-way valve) is missing the split for the Q7 factory airbox bypass valve (N275) just remove the fitting and swap
  4. this might only be for my case but the passenger side engine bracket on the new engine (wasn't there, but in part catalog i believe were different) the threads appear to never been used so i had to make my own tap and clean the threads, this also the same for the lower center transmission bellhousing bolt. the threads were corroded towards the end almost like the bolt that was used in the A6 was shorter due to maybe a bracket or just the bolt was shorter for its use case.
  5. also just as a precaution i swapped the entire harness from my Q7 like the engine to ECM and the block harness that runs under the supercharger for the fuel system etc. i did this because it worked on my Q7 and i dont know the history of the new engine. easier to do it now not later if something happened
but its running and i just a few codes, P199E about cooling and bank 1 intake runner code, i did apply vacuum when installing and made sure flaps were on the correct side of divider but it felt hard to move so i have to inspect. i have a U code that i have to investigate. something about CAN but drove it home just fine
Hey did you figure out your com issue? I had one too and after scratching my head and looking up wiring schematics, i found out i was a major idiot lol.
I accidentally plugged the wrong connector into the ac compressor, i cant believe they even make that the same plug that close by. Anyways, after i fixed that, everything is good and no codes!