Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Brake pad wear indicator going off on new-to-us SQ7

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake pad wear indicator going off on new-to-us SQ7

So... pretty irritating. We bought this car used at 31k miles about 2 months ago and the brake pad wear indicator went off. On quick visual inspection, it appears the pads are pretty thin on all 4.

From browsing the forum, it appears this is not terribly uncommon... although to me seems pretty lame for a 31k car!

Strongly considering a DIY... I usually do my own brakes, and have the VAG tool to release the rear parking brakes.

A few questions...
- best DIY tutorial? I've found some for Q7 (not SQ7)... basically the same, right?
- parts... I found some threads from just last year saying no aftermarket parts are available... but I usually go to rockauto, and they had some. Came up with this list. Any thoughts? I'm sure some might say this is "cheaping out", but if Audi's own brake pads barely made it 30k miles, I'm not really interested in dumping a bunch of money on their stuff
- anything else I need to know?

The following users liked this post:
Flying scot (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 12:09 AM
SVJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, depending on your style of driving, it can go through a pair of pads pretty quickly. It's a heavy car.
Don't forget to buy sensors themselves. Also, you need an OBD tool to release an electronic parking brake when doing the rear brakes.
Old 04-03-2024, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ah yes I’ll get the sensors too. I have the VAG took and software somewhere, just have to dig it out.

any recs on good walkthrough videos or write ups would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Would definitely take advantage of FCP euros lifetime warranty.
The following users liked this post:
Rdpjr26 (04-05-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Looking at the brakes, I'm going to say that the steps will be the same, if not very similar, as any other 4M Q7. It was the easiest front brake job I've ever done. Here's a video on the front:

As for the rears, if you've done rear brakes on any Audi model in the past 10 years, you'll be fine. It hasn't really changed.

Last edited by GDawgA4; 04-03-2024 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:18 AM
SVJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Avantadrive_Original
Ah yes I’ll get the sensors too. I have the VAG took and software somewhere, just have to dig it out.

any recs on good walkthrough videos or write ups would be appreciated.
Youtube is full of them. This one isn't bad:

Old 04-03-2024, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks all
Old 04-09-2024, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Calipers appear similar to what I had on my sq5. Overall quite easy job but jacking and getting stands in seems quite a pain in the *** on the sq7

Advice for the front… there’s a rubber hose and a solid line with a clip attaching it to the body somewhere. Unscrew that clip, the hardline easily kinks/cracks if you just try bending it out of the way

get a pad spreader doohickey. I think it’s a 6 pot caliper. Pain in the *** to retract them one by one.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you - yeah I'm trying to figure out how to safely elevate the vehicle, I saw someone made a floor jack adapter, was thinking about picking one of those up and just leaving it up on the jack while I do the brake job. Just not sure where to put a jack stand.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SVJ
Yeah, depending on your style of driving, it can go through a pair of pads pretty quickly. It's a heavy car.
Don't forget to buy sensors themselves. Also, you need an OBD tool to release an electronic parking brake when doing the rear brakes.
Do folks recommend replacing the rotors every time as well? Audi certainly does, but I'm seriously considering that rotors with 33k on them should last quite a bit longer, and maybe just a pad slap for now would be appropriate. Of course I can make sure rotor thickness is appropriate first.

Quick Reply: Brake pad wear indicator going off on new-to-us SQ7