Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Beach/sand driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Beach/sand driving

I'm hoping we have some experience here with our Q7's in the sand as the last thread was from '20.

My wife and I are having a "spirited discussion" regarding whether it is appropriate to take our Q7 onto the beach down at our place in Hatteras, NC. We previously had an Escalade ESV (just sold it in February) and never had an issue. I'd air down (most times) and shift into 4WD when necessary. Many times I wouldn't even shift out of 2WD though as the truck platform (8.2 inches of ground clearance) did the work. The Q7 supposedly has 8.1-9.6 inches of ground clearance in off-road mode (Ground clearance rises from 8.1 inches to up to 9.6 (with the optional air suspension per Motor Trend). We have a Wrangler Unlimited too but it's not always down there so I'd like to get the ORV permit for the Q7 as a backup plan.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Old 05-01-2023, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by keg97
I'm hoping we have some experience here with our Q7's in the sand as the last thread was from '20.

My wife and I are having a "spirited discussion" regarding whether it is appropriate to take our Q7 onto the beach down at our place in Hatteras, NC. We previously had an Escalade ESV (just sold it in February) and never had an issue. I'd air down (most times) and shift into 4WD when necessary. Many times I wouldn't even shift out of 2WD though as the truck platform (8.2 inches of ground clearance) did the work. The Q7 supposedly has 8.1-9.6 inches of ground clearance in off-road mode (Ground clearance rises from 8.1 inches to up to 9.6 (with the optional air suspension per Motor Trend). We have a Wrangler Unlimited too but it's not always down there so I'd like to get the ORV permit for the Q7 as a backup plan.

Thoughts? Experiences?
You've got wider tires than the Escalade, and are slightly lighter overall. I would trust the Audi Quattro system over GM's AutoTrac system (I've owned both) for finding traction in the sand. You've got plenty of ground clearance in the Q7, and honestly the underbody protection from flying sand is better on the Q7 than the Escalade; not as robust for impacts, but better for debris rejection.

While I've not personally driven the Q7 on sand, nor have I driven any of my GM SUV's on sand. I can tell you in the snow they were very comparable with the edge going to the Audi. If you've had success in a stock GM SUV, you'll find the same success in the Audi SUV IMO.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Very logical- thanks! I'm going to try it on one of the smoother main paths and judge how goes. We can graduate up to the deeper side access roads if I'm feeling very bold! Like I said, I often didn't even shift into 4WD and didn't have an issue. We've seen many a Subaru get back and forth just fine. Surely Quattro is at least as good as the Suby system.
Old 05-02-2023, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by keg97
Very logical- thanks! I'm going to try it on one of the smoother main paths and judge how goes. We can graduate up to the deeper side access roads if I'm feeling very bold! Like I said, I often didn't even shift into 4WD and didn't have an issue. We've seen many a Subaru get back and forth just fine. Surely Quattro is at least as good as the Suby system.
You bought the capability, might as well use it.

Lots of videos online about 4M Q7's going offroad. Found one guy with 22in tires doing some aggressive trails with acceptable success. Jeep of about any flavor would have walked through it like it wasn't there, but the Q7 made it through largely unscathed. There are a couple guys here that have A/T tires fitted, and do some light offroading/overlanding with them. They might be a better resource than I am (I lowered mine and rarely go offroad).
The following users liked this post:
keg97 (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just don't end up like folks on the Corolla Beach Idiots or Oregon Inlet Idiots pages. If you get stuck you could be famous and face a costly tow/rescue . Best of luck and air down!!
Old 05-02-2023, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SSA6
Just don't end up like folks on the Corolla Beach Idiots or Oregon Inlet Idiots pages. If you get stuck you could be famous and face a costly tow/rescue . Best of luck and air down!!
I think that's my wife's biggest fear! SMS- Social Media Shame

I'm running Pilot Sport A/S's but I never had issues with my street biased Michelins on the Escalade.

My only issue ever (knocking on wood) was 20 years ago with a brand new Infiniti QX56.....and that was ALL OPERATOR ERROR! I got caught being an idiot on wet sand with a new toy. I'll never forget calling Infiniti Roadside Assistance and them continually asking which "cross road" I was at. I kept saying, my navigation is showing me in the ocean . Thankfully there are no pictures of that stupidity!