Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Auto stop start, left engine running

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto stop start, left engine running

Stopped my car in a parking spot, put it in park with foot on brake and pressed the off button, got out, locked my door on via the remote and walked off in a hurry. 2.5 hours later after the movie I came back to the car and it was running the whole time and unlocked in the parking lot.

When I pressed the off button, I restarted the car without realizing it. Of course the car won’t lock via the remote when the engine is running but since I was in a hurry, I didn’t look back. I really hate this auto stop start feature and hope I didn’t damage my engine. It was relatively cold outside and no engine warnings.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jay Walters
Stopped my car in a parking spot, put it in park with foot on brake and pressed the off button, got out, locked my door on via the remote and walked off in a hurry. 2.5 hours later after the movie I came back to the car and it was running the whole time and unlocked in the parking lot.

When I pressed the off button, I restarted the car without realizing it. Of course the car won’t lock via the remote when the engine is running but since I was in a hurry, I didn’t look back. I really hate this auto stop start feature and hope I didn’t damage my engine. It was relatively cold outside and no engine warnings.
It's good that your car was still there. Having it just run there for 2,5 shouldn't do anything to the car other than just use up some fuel.
I hate start-stop too and it was one of the first things I disabled on the car. VCDS cable or more easier solution - OBD11 will do the trick.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My mother’s 16 A6 allows you to keep it off, the button remembers the setting. I disabled mine via OBDEleven.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the car required a key fob be in the car to keep running. Is that not correct?
Old 02-17-2018, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Spaceframe
I thought the car required a key fob be in the car to keep running. Is that not correct?
Nope.
Keyless cars only need the key to lock / unlock and start the engine. Once the car has been started you can drive without the key (it will ask for it but won't actually do anything if they key isn't around). Only once you reach your destination and don't have the key then you can't lock it or start it again.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Your Q did what it was meant to. When you put the car in P, it shut down. Since you hit the button with your foot on the brake, it restarted like its supposed to. Another indicator which you didn't notice is the lack of chirp when you locked the car. These are all cues/procedures you get used to. Best thing imo is to let your foot off the brake after you put the car in P and then hit the button.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not a defect of the Audi... anyway, we've had this happen with our last car, a BMW before. Except the BMW does let you lock the door.

It's just the pressing of the start /stop button with your foot on the brake. It only happened to us once.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by audi9302
Not a defect of the Audi... anyway, we've had this happen with our last car, a BMW before. Except the BMW does let you lock the door.

It's just the pressing of the start /stop button with your foot on the brake. It only happened to us once.
Yes, I have done this with my BMW and it locked and I walked away. The chirp is my indicator
Old 02-17-2018, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Your Q did what it was meant to. When you put the car in P, it shut down. Since you hit the button with your foot on the brake, it restarted like its supposed to. Another indicator which you didn't notice is the lack of chirp when you locked the car. These are all cues/procedures you get used to. Best thing imo is to let your foot off the brake after you put the car in P and then hit the button.
This...
Has nothing to do with auto start/stop.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
This...
Has nothing to do with auto start/stop.
Yah it does, because only cars with auto stop/start lead to that sequence of events, user error or not. I have both types of Audi, and only the auto s/s one has ever produced the same result as OP, it is unexpected behavior for a normal driver, IMO, of course.

Quick Reply: Auto stop start, left engine running