Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 requires service "each year"? What kind of car is this. Scam ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
tesla is a microwave of a car. cool technology but usability is limited unless you won't use it for tons of long travel. not to mention the build quality isn't there with an Audi/Lexus/etc. ...
I own both a 2017 Audi Q7 (bought new in Dec 2016) and a 2023 Tesla Model Y (bought new in Dec 2022)
We are on our second Toyota Sienna minivan.
I've owned a couple of Acura vehicles.
I own a 1997 BMW motorcycle which I service myself.

I've done 1000 miles in a day with the Sienna a couple of years back.
I've done 900 miles in a day in the Tesla last year.
I've done 500 miles in a day on the motorcycle.

The Tesla is the best vehicle I have had BY FAR.

I dont understand all the internet bashing Tesla's get. Do these bashers actually rent a Tesla for a couple days to get a feel for it?
I sure did.
I also rented a Polestar, Audi E-Tron, Mustang MachE

Here's what I love about the Tesla

1) Zero maintenance and near zero operating cost
No engine oil
No transmission oil
No differentials
Brake pads last 200K mi (regenerative braking)
No fuel costs (my solar panels feed my Tesla)

2) Wicked fast acceleration
I'm thinking of hanging up my (motorcycle) helmet after 35 years of being a motorcycle rider. The Tesla handles that good!

3) Great handling in the snow
The Q7 quattro is definitely a little better in the snow. However, I've driven through multiple snow storms in the Tesla and I've never had an issue.

4) Charging on the road is a breeze
I've NEVER had to wait for a charger. I've done long distance trips from the Canadian border to the Mexico border.
Most National parks have free charging (Rivian chargers are slow but they charge my Tesla overnight)

5) Road trip customization
I have a built in refrigerator / freezer. I come home for weekends and load up with fresh home cooked meals. Then I head out to Yosemite for rock climbing during the week when the cubicle dwellers have emptied out of the park (I'm retired). I use an induction hotplate & a microwave for heating meals. I carry a chargeable battery pack for these appliances (wish the Tesla could feed them but I wont quibble). I can sleep comfortably in my Tesla and it keeps the car temperature regulated (lose ~8% battery overnight).

6) Build quality is a non-issue
I'm sure early cars had issues. But this is an internet story that keeps going round and round. I have seen zero build quality issues. There are 15 Tesla's on my street (I live in Silicon Valley so everyone adopts new technology much easier here)

7) Software updates are a GODSEND
My car has added autoparking recently. Earlier it upgraded its autodrive capability multiple times. It is heartening that my firmware never goes out of fashion.

8) Display screen is GORGEOUS. Sound system is pretty good.
It's nice to watch a Netflix movie while I'm camping !

Your mileage might vary :-)

Sanjiv
The following 3 users liked this post by Sonu:
aw235235345 (04-25-2024), keg97 (04-26-2024), kelisko (04-25-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 334 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonu
No engine oil
No transmission oil
No differentials
This week's CR's cost of ownership data confirms just that. Tesla is the least expensive car brand to own over 5 or 10 years.

The following users liked this post:
aw235235345 (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, already saw that CR report list few days ago.

And, ordered 2024 Tesla X Plaid.

Hybrid makes little sense to me, IMHO.

Owning Audi at the moment makes little sense for me, especially when used as my daily commuter, ~50-60'ish miles each day.

And owning having Audi next to my BMW's means, i "am" stupid for owning side by side the most expensive top 10 vehicles to own and maintain.

Of course, that's on "average". Everyone's experience may and will differ.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
This week's CR's cost of ownership data confirms just that. Tesla is the least expensive car brand to own over 5 or 10 years.
Does that include depreciation?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elect...060000890.html

Or increased tire wear/cost?

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/19/why-...tire-boom.html

Don't get me wrong, I think there are a lot of positives for EVs, and the whole 'my F350 powerstroke can go 600 miles on a tank' is a ridiculous argument. My wife and two pre-teen girls don't make it 200 miles without wanting to stop for some reason or another. I'm not driving cross country, so adding 30-45 minutes to a 500 mile drive to the beach isn't the big deal some people make it out to be.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Does that include depreciation?

Or increased tire wear/cost?

My wife and two pre-teen girls don't make it 200 miles without wanting to stop for some reason or another. I'm not driving cross country, so adding 30-45 minutes to a 500 mile drive to the beach isn't the big deal some people make it out to be.
Here are my thoughts & real world experience on these 3 key points

Depreciation:
I tend to buy cars new & drive them till they die (250K mi minimum), typically over 15 year period. So I simply don't care about depreciation. Leasing might make sense for others.

Stopping every 200 miles:
Unless I am driving well above the speed of traffic flow, I get 250+ miles on the freeway. I make it from San Francisco to LA with just one stop. Charging stops are rarely 30 min. 20 min is most common. Lord knows I can use a bathroom break & a short walk every 250 miles.

Tire wear on EV's:
This is more internet nonsense that keeps getting repeated. If you drive any car like a maniac with jack-rabbit starts then you do wear out the tires. I've put 30K miles on my Tesla (dual motor!) and do drive "spirited" (but no teenager donuts). I am on track to get 50K out of my OEM tires which is better than I get on the Audi Q7 !

Sanjiv
The following 2 users liked this post by Sonu:
aw235235345 (04-26-2024), keg97 (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to not drive the X Plaid like a stolen car. I promise.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,178 Likes on 920 Posts

living in New England with less charging infrastructure and long haul trips to ski resorts, a tesla is not an option. I can do 600+ miles a weekend and there are not always places to charge it. with snow tires, a roof box, and consumption robbing temps of less than 10F regularly it doesn't make sense. the autonomy I get at 3 minutes at a gas pump cannot be beat right now.

I won't go into the depreciation thing but that is another can of worms. each to their own. I don't wish ill on anyone's vehicle ownership and wish everyone the best with whatever they want to drive but a fully electric car as a primary vehicle won't work.

build quality is still not the best. parts are only available through one place and are not cheap. for people who don't maintain ICE vehicles well, electric cars make some sense. please note there are still things like alignment, suspension components, etc. that require periodic maintenance. the cars have less maintenance, however they are not maintenance free. a number of the electric vehicles still have oil in the motor/transfer cases that require changing along with spin on oil filters. just my two cents.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89

a fully electric car as a primary vehicle won't work.

for people who don't maintain ICE vehicles well, electric cars make some sense.
Hi,
I agree with your first point. An EV as a primary car wont work for everyone.
By the way I ski a LOT and have had no issues with charging out here in California / Nevada.

I disagree strongly with your second point. I'm calling BS on that one.
I've always maintained my ICE cars really well and gotten 250K+ miles out of them. The Q7 is at ~100K now & I expect to get 200K out of it as well.
An EV makes a LOT of sense for me for all the reasons I listed earlier.

Respectfully,
Sanjiv

P.S. I don't personally care for the looks of Tesla. I would have loved to get an Audi ETron. But the range and the charging network for Audi is just not there yet. Did you know that the Tesla Model Y outsold the Toyota Corolla last year and became the #1 volume vehicle worldwide. That is astonishing for a company that does not even advertise.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonu
I own both a 2017 Audi Q7 (bought new in Dec 2016) and a 2023 Tesla Model Y (bought new in Dec 2022)
We are on our second Toyota Sienna minivan.
I've owned a couple of Acura vehicles.
I own a 1997 BMW motorcycle which I service myself.

I've done 1000 miles in a day with the Sienna a couple of years back.
I've done 900 miles in a day in the Tesla last year.
I've done 500 miles in a day on the motorcycle.

The Tesla is the best vehicle I have had BY FAR.

I dont understand all the internet bashing Tesla's get. Do these bashers actually rent a Tesla for a couple days to get a feel for it?
I sure did.
I also rented a Polestar, Audi E-Tron, Mustang MachE

Here's what I love about the Tesla

No engine oil
No transmission oil
No differentials

2) Wicked fast acceleration
I'm thinking of hanging up my (motorcycle) helmet after 35 years of being a motorcycle rider. The Tesla handles that good!

3) Great handling in the snow
The Q7 quattro is definitely a little better in the snow. However, I've driven through multiple snow storms in the Tesla and I've never had an issue.

4) Charging on the road is a breeze
I've NEVER had to wait for a charger. I've done long distance trips from the Canadian border to the Mexico border.
Most National parks have free charging (Rivian chargers are slow but they charge my Tesla overnight)

5) Road trip customization
I have a built in refrigerator / freezer. I come home for weekends and load up with fresh home cooked meals. Then I head out to Yosemite for rock climbing during the week when the cubicle dwellers have emptied out of the park (I'm retired). I use an induction hotplate & a microwave for heating meals. I carry a chargeable battery pack for these appliances (wish the Tesla could feed them but I wont quibble). I can sleep comfortably in my Tesla and it keeps the car temperature regulated (lose ~8% battery overnight).

6) Build quality is a non-issue
I'm sure early cars had issues. But this is an internet story that keeps going round and round. I have seen zero build quality issues. There are 15 Tesla's on my street (I live in Silicon Valley so everyone adopts new technology much easier here)

7) Software updates are a GODSEND
My car has added autoparking recently. Earlier it upgraded its autodrive capability multiple times. It is heartening that my firmware never goes out of fashion.

8) Display screen is GORGEOUS. Sound system is pretty good.
It's nice to watch a Netflix movie while I'm camping !

Sanjiv
Love to see an enthusiast with data and good observations. I've rented a couple Tesla's and have had about a polar opposite feel and reaction to them on a couple fronts. Build Quality, Fit and Finish, and Software Updates are all negatives for me. First two are kind of self explanatory, second is just a comfort with the process issue for me. I really dislike the premise of a "connected" car in general. New features are cool and all, but there's a lot of potential for disruption to existing features, as well as a lot of liability to operation should something go wrong. I know we aren't talking about space flight here, just not something i want in my vehicle.

Arguably my biggest gripe with driving a Tesla is the flowing premise throughout the vehicle of "change for the sake of change". Things like not having a key (maybe phone as a key is great, but the credit card thing you have to use/keep track of with a rental SUCKS), not having a gauge cluster in front of the driver. A/C vents have to be changed through the screen instead of physical controls. There's just a lot of things that Tesla changed to the user interface that are either obvious money grabs (like eliminating the turn signal stalk in new models), or just obvious changes for the sake of doing it differently (like the vents). Overall, the design ethos of the manufacturer doesn't fit me personally.

I do agree on the acceleration and handling......at the limit. The Model 3's I've driven have all been VERY oversprung and harsh to drive on a daily basis. They felt like something my 19yrold self would have setup, not something my 43yr old self would enjoy daily. Also, the maintenance is also greatly reduced. I'm ready for an EV on that front for certain.

NOW......The eTron S....That's a good looking, and more "normal" electric SUV I could get behind - Nevermind the poor range and exorbitant cost
Old 04-26-2024, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2kwik4u
Love to see an enthusiast with data and good observations. I've rented a couple Tesla's and have had about a polar opposite feel and reaction to them on a couple fronts. Build Quality, Fit and Finish, and Software Updates are all negatives for me. First two are kind of self explanatory, second is just a comfort with the process issue for me. I really dislike the premise of a "connected" car in general. New features are cool and all, but there's a lot of potential for disruption to existing features, as well as a lot of liability to operation should something go wrong. I know we aren't talking about space flight here, just not something i want in my vehicle.

Arguably my biggest gripe with driving a Tesla is the flowing premise throughout the vehicle of "change for the sake of change". Things like not having a key (maybe phone as a key is great, but the credit card thing you have to use/keep track of with a rental SUCKS), not having a gauge cluster in front of the driver. A/C vents have to be changed through the screen instead of physical controls. There's just a lot of things that Tesla changed to the user interface that are either obvious money grabs (like eliminating the turn signal stalk in new models), or just obvious changes for the sake of doing it differently (like the vents). Overall, the design ethos of the manufacturer doesn't fit me personally.

I do agree on the acceleration and handling......at the limit. The Model 3's I've driven have all been VERY oversprung and harsh to drive on a daily basis. They felt like something my 19yrold self would have setup, not something my 43yr old self would enjoy daily. Also, the maintenance is also greatly reduced. I'm ready for an EV on that front for certain.

NOW......The eTron S....That's a good looking, and more "normal" electric SUV I could get behind - Nevermind the poor range and exorbitant cost
If the ETron had better range and Tesla charging network compatibility, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Audi's CEO made an industry shocking admission that their technology was ~5 years behind Tesla. That was one of the reasons I pulled the trigger on the Tesla.

I am not a fan of the Model 3. You're 43, I'm 56 (!) and like the ergonomics of Tesla model Y. My dad is 89 years old with limited mobility due to an artificial hip and artificial knees. He finds the Model Y the easiest vehicle ever to get in and out of.

I agree that Tesla went overboard with removing all physical buttons. Checkout the Polestar...... you can adjust the mirrors and a couple other things without using the touch screen. I tried out a BYD recently. It feels like a conventional car as far as buttons and controls go. No wonder they are kicking Tesla's *** in Asia.

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 requires service "each year"? What kind of car is this. Scam ?