Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had this exact thing happen to my #2 cylinder. It's at 108k miles and been serviced since day 1.

Old 05-11-2024, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 119 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by DonkeyKing
It’s shameful of Audi to have made an engine with such flaws.
What are the flaws you speak of?

You do understand any engine can sludge the rings especially when not properly maintained with quality oil changes and too long OCI.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiAllTheWay
What are the flaws you speak of?

You do understand any engine can sludge the rings especially when not properly maintained with quality oil changes and too long OCI.
You mean like mine with 5k OCIs done with Castrol 5w-40? Quit with the apologist BS.
The following users liked this post:
mbs (Yesterday)
Old 05-11-2024, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hehe, yes ANY engine can fail, and the track record of this engine seems to be much more fragile (even possibly flawed) with the possibility of a bad water jacket placement, bad valve casts, or something else. Add the fact that Audi's recommended OCI is a great way to end the life of your engine quicker, especially with their poorly designed pcv valve on this engine and you have a bad day all around.

I have had a lot of DI engines and some of them not nearly as maintained as this one was, and they never had a catastrophic failure. An Audi A4 with over 200,000 miles on it, Porsche Cayenne with over 180,000, My Touareg had 160,000 when I sold it, 7 Jetta's, 3 BMW's, and a few more, none of them dropped a valve or blew half a valve out of their domicile. I did get the tiguan with the timing chain recall that VW didn't honor, but that's another story.

When I spoke to the local Audi service technician, he made a comment that made me wonder. He said, these engines are designed to last up to warranty and no more. In the long run it will be bad business for Audi, but there are enough sheep, I don't think they care.

I hope Audi does something to actually look into this, but the reality is, if it doesn't affect shareholders and no one's holding their feet to the fire, why bother. As a customer, you can be replaced. I'm personally done with Audi as well, I will not buy another.
Old 05-12-2024, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You mean like mine with 5k OCIs done with Castrol 5w-40? Quit with the apologist BS.
Funny you sound just like Kelisko and his friends 😅

Have you even looked around the market to see what’s going on in the automotive world?

Buy a bicycle 🙄
Old 05-12-2024, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Funny you sound just like Kelisko and his friends 😅

Have you even looked around the market to see what’s going on in the automotive world?

Buy a bicycle 🙄
I am deeply knowledgeable as to cars, had a family business in the industry for 30 years+ and myself work on my cars. If you don’t think excessive oil consumption at 60-70k is a flawed design, you are a deeply subservient fanboy.

gbgastowers (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am deeply knowledgeable as to cars, had a family business in the industry for 30 years+ and myself work on my cars. If you don’t think excessive oil consumption at 60-70k is a flawed design, you are a deeply subservient fanboy.
Hi Kelisko - nice to meet you… again!

Prove the design flaws you describe.

There are hundreds of thousands of these engines on the road running just fine. If there were design flaws like you describe then there would be hundreds of thousands of accounts here complaining about it. Kelisko is trying but he is at least ninety nine thousand accounts short.
DonkeyKing (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Kelisko - nice to meet you… again!

Prove the design flaws you describe.

There are hundreds of thousands of these engines on the road running just fine. If there were design flaws like you describe then there would be hundreds of thousands of accounts here complaining about it. Kelisko is trying but he is at least ninety nine thousand accounts short.
Yes. I agree that if it doesn’t happen to you it’s not too concerning. It happened to me and I am bitter about it and probably won’t be buying another Audi. The ones it hasn’t happened too please continue on your merry way. I hope you have no issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by gbgastowers:
magichut (05-12-2024), meyergsr (05-13-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gbgastowers
Yes. I agree that if it doesn’t happen to you it’s not too concerning. It happened to me and I am bitter about it and probably won’t be buying another Audi. The ones it hasn’t happened too please continue on your merry way. I hope you have no issues.
If it happens to me then I fix it. I don’t come to Audiworld to endlessly whine and complain. I don’t make endless false statements of design flaws etc.

If it is a rampant issue then where is the Class Action?

I understand if bad things happen then emotional people can become bitter, but it can happen to any brand not just Audi.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If it happens to me then I fix it. I don’t come to Audiworld to endlessly whine and complain. I don’t make endless false statements of design flaws etc.

If it is a rampant issue then where is the Class Action?

I understand if bad things happen then emotional people can become bitter, but it can happen to any brand not just Audi.
No clue who you’re talking about. Between this and many other threads and talking to area Audi mechanics it’s clear the problem is widespread. You can continue to mock me and defend your favorite brand. I don’t worship any brand, I just expect a properly-maintained engine to last 100k+ miles.

Last edited by DonkeyKing; 05-12-2024 at 07:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?