Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 130 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
there is a dipstick I have used in the past which was spot on. it is the same one the dealers use when servicing the vehicle. I am looking for a link or part number but I bought it a long time ago and don't have the car any longer either...
Are you referring to the adjustable dipstick dealers use for various engines? VAG T40178
Old 05-07-2024, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,187 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by GDawgA4
Are you referring to the adjustable dipstick dealers use for various engines? VAG T40178
nope. it was this...

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ck/06e115611h/
Old 05-08-2024, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update to the recent motor flush attempt

Add 1qt. message came on after 1492 miles of driving. Not sure if this is an improvement since the temperature is warming up and the environmental conditions are not the same.

I am switching plans from Berryman's and considering the BG Platinum Engine Restoration kit. The reason for switching is because my thoughts are the piston soak might not be as effective on a V6 considering the cylinder arrangement and bank angle to one another. All the liquid would sit towards the lowest point of the cylinder wall and piston and not fully encapsulate the piston as it would with an inline motor.

Additionally, I came across the following videos on YouTube regarding a CREC equipped A7 and the BG kit seemed to have positive results.

Initial video link;

Follow-up video link:
Old 05-09-2024, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cW6mT mKviGLi
Add 1qt. message came on after 1492 miles of driving. Not sure if this is an improvement since the temperature is warming up and the environmental conditions are not the same.

I am switching plans from Berryman's and considering the BG Platinum Engine Restoration kit. The reason for switching is because my thoughts are the piston soak might not be as effective on a V6 considering the cylinder arrangement and bank angle to one another. All the liquid would sit towards the lowest point of the cylinder wall and piston and not fully encapsulate the piston as it would with an inline motor.

Additionally, I came across the following videos on YouTube regarding a CREC equipped A7 and the BG kit seemed to have positive results.

Initial video link;

Follow-up video link:
So you did the Berryman's piston soak and it didn't work for you? I also read that you did a Liquid Moly Engine Flush and it sounds like that didn't work for you either? Have you changed the PCV? I am at 74k miles on a 2018 Q7 and changed the PCV, but still burning 1 QT every 3000 miles. Not sure what to do next....
Old 05-09-2024, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Has anybody tried putting about 7oz of Seafoam into the crankcase (not gas) of the Q7 and driving regularly? Could that possibly start to clean the piston rings? Thoughts?
Old 05-09-2024, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bludog
So you did the Berryman's piston soak and it didn't work for you? I also read that you did a Liquid Moly Engine Flush and it sounds like that didn't work for you either? Have you changed the PCV? I am at 74k miles on a 2018 Q7 and changed the PCV, but still burning 1 QT every 3000 miles. Not sure what to do next....
Hey Bludog,

I didnt try the piston soak method yet. I tried the Liqui-Moly proline engine flush and i think its inconclusive on whether or not it helped any.

I was leaning towards the BG dynamic engine flush kit. I'll be making a decision over the next month. I also have a 2018, but haven't changed the PCV yet. My Q7 has about 72.5k miles so our vehicles are pretty close in mileage.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bludog
Has anybody tried putting about 7oz of Seafoam into the crankcase (not gas) of the Q7 and driving regularly? Could that possibly start to clean the piston rings? Thoughts?
IMO, it's too diluted to be effective. Also, I wouldn't want to run an engine for an extended period with oil contaminated with a solvent. The bearings depend on a certain quality of oil to prevent metal-to-metal contact. A piston soak introduces a concentrated solvent directly to the rings where carbon is. Then it drains into the oil. Some people run the engine for a few hours before changing the oil, hoping it helps flush the engine. However, I saw a video of a guy showing the oil after doing that and the oil was very black and he said it felt abrasive to his fingers. I performed a piston soak on my daughter's Tiguan which had just begun consuming oil, and I chose to drain the oil after a 10-15 minute warm-up instead of running it for a long time with abrasive oil. When I changed the oil it didn't feel abrasive.
I did the piston-soak just last week, so I can't say whether it was successful. We'll watch the oil level closely over the next few months and report back.

Someone above mentioned the concern that the 3.0T V6 has angled piston banks. I think you could compensate for that by using more Berryman's B12 per cylinder, or you could jack the car from the side to tilt it as treat that side, doing a separate piston soak for the right and left banks. Btw, I used 2 oz per piston each time I filled them on the 2.0 I used 3.5 cans in total for the soaks, and then poured 1 can into the gas tank "for good measure". The stuff's only $5 per can at Watmart. Note: A couple of the pistons began holding fluid after a few soaks. I assume that meant the rings were getting cleaned & sealing properly. I didn't perform compression tests, so can't say if it changed.

The Tiguan is a 2018 w/ 70,000 miles.
The following users liked this post:
AudiAllTheWay (05-12-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GlennR
IMO, it's too diluted to be effective. Also, I wouldn't want to run an engine for an extended period with oil contaminated with a solvent. The bearings depend on a certain quality of oil to prevent metal-to-metal contact. A piston soak introduces a concentrated solvent directly to the rings where carbon is. Then it drains into the oil. Some people run the engine for a few hours before changing the oil, hoping it helps flush the engine. However, I saw a video of a guy showing the oil after doing that and the oil was very black and he said it felt abrasive to his fingers. I performed a piston soak on my daughter's Tiguan which had just begun consuming oil, and I chose to drain the oil after a 10-15 minute warm-up instead of running it for a long time with abrasive oil. When I changed the oil it didn't feel abrasive.
I did the piston-soak just last week, so I can't say whether it was successful. We'll watch the oil level closely over the next few months and report back.

Someone above mentioned the concern that the 3.0T V6 has angled piston banks. I think you could compensate for that by using more Berryman's B12 per cylinder, or you could jack the car from the side to tilt it as treat that side, doing a separate piston soak for the right and left banks. Btw, I used 2 oz per piston each time I filled them on the 2.0 I used 3.5 cans in total for the soaks, and then poured 1 can into the gas tank "for good measure". The stuff's only $5 per can at Watmart. Note: A couple of the pistons began holding fluid after a few soaks. I assume that meant the rings were getting cleaned & sealing properly. I didn't perform compression tests, so can't say if it changed.

The Tiguan is a 2018 w/ 70,000 miles.
Great post! I will also add that I've seen videos of SeaFoam being added to crankcase oil, and the result it MUCH thinner. I wouldn't risk it with these engines.

My 2018 Q7 is at 44k miles, and I don't seem to be having any oil consumption, but I plan on doing a preventative piston soak just before changing the spark plugs at around 60k miles. There's another thread where a guy used the aerosol version of B12 to spray into the cylinders in hopes of getting it on the raised part of the piston, and I've considered the jacking up idea also.

What did you use to remove the fluid after the soak was done?
Old 05-10-2024, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ncnmra
Great post! I will also add that I've seen videos of SeaFoam being added to crankcase oil, and the result it MUCH thinner. I wouldn't risk it with these engines.

My 2018 Q7 is at 44k miles, and I don't seem to be having any oil consumption, but I plan on doing a preventative piston soak just before changing the spark plugs at around 60k miles. There's another thread where a guy used the aerosol version of B12 to spray into the cylinders in hopes of getting it on the raised part of the piston, and I've considered the jacking up idea also.

What did you use to remove the fluid after the soak was done?
Most of it leaks into the crankcase. To remove any that remained in any of the cylinders I placed an old bath towel, folded a few times, over the spark plug holes & cranked the engine over about 10 seconds. Btw, I removed the fuel pump fuse so fuel didn't spray into the cylinders as I cranked the engine over. I also forgot to mention that I cranked the engine over a few times between refilling with the Berryman's B12. I figured the starter motor would be more effective at loosening the rings than me turning it over slowly with a wrench on the crankshaft.
Old 05-11-2024, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Wow this is a depressing thread. 73,500 on my 2018 3.0T and it burns a quart every 1500 miles. I’m not going through the tedious exercises of all these flushes. If consumption increases to 1 quart / 1,000 miles, the car is gone. It’s shameful of Audi to have made an engine with such flaws.
The following 2 users liked this post by DonkeyKing:
magichut (05-11-2024), mbs (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?