Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,178 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
You don't get to ditch your Audi for a Toyota and come tell anybody else that yours was reliable, that they should keep using theirs and dump money in it. You can't be credible, sorry. If your Q7 was that great, I think you would have kept it or purchased another one. Very simple.
two Q7s over 85K left me stranded once. how is that unreliable? I tuned both, beath the snot out of them and drove them 15K a winter to shuttle me through terrible NE ski weather. I decided to go with a vehicle that was less expensive brand new, held its value better, and was less expensive to maintain (parts and labor). I have not once compared toyota or lexus world renowned reliability to Audi. why do you think I would decide to purchase 6 used audi vehicles in a row if I thought the cars were destined for "early failure"?

Originally Posted by keg97
Talk about simple- you're MUCH lower functioning than simple. Like I'd take my pre-teen daughter's intelligence/maturity over you.

He had two Q7's and ran them for many miles over just a few years before trading into something that better fit his current needs. That's it. Nothing more. THAT is credible and logical.

I sometimes try to frame your communication through a cultural lenses. But then you consistently and constantly reinforce the saying- an ignorant jerk is an ignorant jerk....in any country. For example- why don't you answer some of the questions that are specifically directed at you?

Like others have said, we have an open and collegial board here. People share negative and positive here. In many years of being on this board, I can't remember anybody acting like you do and the level to which you've offended many people. You might want to check a mirror, take a long breath, and consider what is looking back at you.

How is your Suzuki?
well said.

Originally Posted by AudiAllTheWay
Tell Kelisko to quit being a d!ck and everything will be fine.

No one here should have to put up with his endless crap while we want to talk about supporting our vehicles.
agreed.

Originally Posted by 2kwik4u
Sure he can, he has as much, or more, experience with the platform than many others here, in particular in terms of cash invested. Certainly more exposure to the platform than you have. SO, I'm doubling down and "keep using theirs mine and dumping money in it", in part, because of the recommendations of credible users like @mhoran89 and @keg97 . So in terms of putting my money where my mouth is, it's pretty clear where my trust lies, don't you think?

He did buy another one. He's owned two of them. He, quite literally, liked the first one so much that he bought another. I'm not sure there's another user here with that level of commitment (maybe the Irvin Fitzpatrick guy, or retom, hard to say). Also, by last count, that's two more than you, right?

To be forthcoming, my Q7 has been on a tow truck twice. Both times because of a catastrophic tire failure and no spare. I've averaged over 25k miles a year for the last 3 years I've owned it, and so far it's been relatively inexpensive to maintain. MOSTLY maintenance items, with a wheel bearing, and a water pump thrown in for good measure. I'm still of the opinion that my Audis break half as often as my GM's, and cost twice as much to repair. The net result is a very well equipped, capable, and good looking machine that represents a great value for the money spent.

And, since I know you'll try this anyway, I'll admit I was looking at dumping the Q7 for something else. I've deferred maintenance on mine due to a hectic schedule and I'm looking at ~$5k more to invest in the coming months. Hell you can read about it a few pages back. After running some quick numbers, and looking at what else was out there, I came to the same premise I started with when I bought the car, it's a great vehicle for the cash invested.

IMO, you're either delusional about your position concerning this platform, or your purposefully trolling. Neither is welcome here IMO.
exactly. I had one that I took to high mileage and liked it so much I rolled back the odometer from 80K to 8K so I could do it again. I spent over $16K maintaining two of them back to back with lots of great memories over the years. a lot of that cost was brakes, tires, and some routine fluid maintenance. just as mentioned, very few people have had two supercharged V6 3.0T 4M Q7s back to back, so I consider myself very well versed in what it takes to operate these vehicles.

Last edited by mhoran89; 04-23-2024 at 01:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mhoran89:
2kwik4u (04-23-2024), AudiAllTheWay (04-23-2024), keg97 (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
two Q7s over 85K left me stranded once. how is that unreliable? I tuned both, beath the snot out of them and drove them 15K a winter to shuttle me through terrible NE ski weather. I decided to go with a vehicle that was less expensive brand new, held its value better, and was less expensive to maintain (parts and labor). I have not once compared toyota or lexus world renowned reliability to Audi. why do you think I would decide to purchase 6 used audi vehicles in a row if I thought the cars were destined for "early failure"?

well said.

agreed.

exactly. I had one that I took to high mileage and liked it so much I rolled back the odometer from 80K to 8K so I could do it again. I spent over $16K maintaining two of them back to back with lots of great memories over the years. a lot of that cost was brakes, tires, and some routine fluid maintenance. just as mentioned, very few people have had two supercharged V6 3.0T 4M Q7s back to back, so I consider myself very well versed in what it takes to operate these vehicles.
What does 4M mean?
Old 04-23-2024, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,178 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by gbgastowers
What does 4M mean?
that’s the generation. 2017 on is a 4m. 2016 and prior in the US is a 4L

audi for the a4/a5/q5 uses b. So b4 through b9. The a6/a7 is a c and the a8 is a d. It’s just the nomenclature.

VW jetta is mk and that is considered mark 1 though 8 right now I believe.

its like the bmw guys talking about e30 m3 versus an e36.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 333 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by SwissInTexas
I had my pistons and rings replace at around 33k miles back in 2022 due to excessive oil consumption. My Q7 just turned 63k miles (so 30k since the repair) and is now using about half a quart per 5k miles which means it's better off after 30k miles with the new pistons and rings compared to the factory pistons and rings that were toast at 33k. I have been using Liqui Moly religiously since the rebuild, not sure if that helped or helps any.
Besides sharing your oil consumption rate since the rebuild, it would also be interesting to know your new oil change interval. 5K, 7K, 10K miles?
Old 04-24-2024, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

Besides sharing your oil consumption rate since the rebuild, it would also be interesting to know your new oil change interval. 5K, 7K, 10K miles?
This I actually agree with. My (limited) data collection suggests oil burn is less of an issue on the front end of the interval as compared to the back end. Also, driving style/habits (even if just anecdotal) might help shed some light.

Seems the people that drive easy/slow all the time, and go by the OCI indicated in the car have the bigger issues. Those of us with tunes, or that "beat" on our vehicles more regularly, also tend to have shorter OCI's, and less oil burn.

More data is typically never a bad thing!
Old 04-24-2024, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

This I actually agree with. My (limited) data collection suggests oil burn is less of an issue on the front end of the interval as compared to the back end. Also, driving style/habits (even if just anecdotal) might help shed some light.

Seems the people that drive easy/slow all the time, and go by the OCI indicated in the car have the bigger issues. Those of us with tunes, or that "beat" on our vehicles more regularly, also tend to have shorter OCI's, and less oil burn.

My experience has been minimal to no oil burn in the first 4K of a OCI. It does increase from 4K- through whatever I run it too. I've yet to get the OCI down to 5K. I've been typically 6-7K and will likely hit 8K when I get the oil changed next week.
120K total and have been using Motul for last several OCIs.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Consumption rate went from about a quarter of a quart every 5k miles right after the rebuild to half a quart now (30k miles) later every 5k miles. My oil change interval is 5k miles ever since the rebuild. I can't speak to the OCI prior to the rebuild as I bought the Q7 CPO with 29k miles on it back in November of 2021. I'm sure the prior owner probably stuck with the 10k Audi recommended interval which contributed to the issue.
I'm fine with half a quart every 5k miles as it was a quart every 1500 +/- miles prior to the rebuild. No change in driving style whatsoever post rebuild; it's about 70/30 mix of city and highway. Wife drives the car most of the time (it's hers) and drives at a moderate pace. I on the other hand work engines hard on all my cars. I paid for all the digits on the tach so I will use all the digits on the tach.

Last edited by SwissInTexas; 04-24-2024 at 08:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SwissInTexas:
2kwik4u (04-24-2024), kelisko (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 333 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by SwissInTexas
I paid for all the digits on the tach so I will use all the digits on the tach.
😅 I like this one! Thanks for the detailed feedback.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

I'd agree with this. Just rolled 99k miles and consumption has been relatively constant at ~1/2 qt over 5k mi OCI which started around 40k miles (owned since new). I have found that the first 2,500-3,000 miles post oil change will show a full level and after that it starts to use some. I don't baby her but gets exercised regularly through its rev range.

There's been some interesting findings posted by the owner of Jackal Motorsports who recently released his 4M tune for the CREC. He bought one for his family use to test and tune.
​​​​
Oil Consumption and Pinging - A few people moved over because of oil consumption and chugging. The chugging is constant pinging under part throttle, especially when the SC is on. During our pre-release, we either ran into the problem by pure crap luck, or it's happening to a lot of these 4M Platform Q7s, but the Flaps in the runners were sticking as these are vacuum-actuated. At first, we thought they were on 91 octane, and that was the limiter, but since it was "sticking," the car stayed in the flap position, with timing tables linked to the position it was stuck in and just ran unlimited timing, and also pulls unlimited timing. On stock software, we were seeing upwards of -17 degrees timing pulled. My guess, and it's still an assumption, is that if you're having this chugging issue, you're probably starting to fight this issue yourself. But I'm not 100% sure yet; only more people joining and sharing the logs with me will get us all there. The good news is we specifically built the tune around not caring if they were open or closed. Now, the simple answer to this is you will flash the car; it won't ping anymore or chug, but it also won't be as fast as, say, the Jackal Shop Q7. This is a good indication you should start sending logs, upgrading plugs, and retesting. And no, it doesn't mean the knock sensors are off. Is oil consumption related to constant rattling of pistons because of this? Could be, but again, still gaining all the logs I can.
See thread for more info: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-Tuning-Thread
Old 04-25-2024, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by GDawgA4
I'd agree with this. Just rolled 99k miles and consumption has been relatively constant at ~1/2 qt over 5k mi OCI which started around 40k miles (owned since new). I have found that the first 2,500-3,000 miles post oil change will show a full level and after that it starts to use some. I don't baby her but gets exercised regularly through its rev range.

There's been some interesting findings posted by the owner of Jackal Motorsports who recently released his 4M tune for the CREC. He bought one for his family use to test and tune.
​​​​

See thread for more info: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-Tuning-Thread
Yea, I've been following along over there on that thread. It's an interesting premise, but I'm not 100% certain I buy it. I'm in the market for at tune, and Jackal offers a pretty good value with an ECM and TCM tune in one package that is home flashable. He's on my radar.

While I haven't' contacted him directly, I've posted in that thread at least once now offering to send logs. With no real response that I can tell. I have VAG-COM and drive a TON of miles every year. I suspect I could swamp them with data if wanted.

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?