Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

FWIW I have never had to add oil to any of the vehicles in my signature between one-year service. I actually turned in 2 unopened quarts of oil to my dealership for disposal last year as they were about 8 years old.
Old 08-20-2021, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

This is a widely discussed topic and the unfortunate reality is that Audi engines burn oil. You can be lucky and have one that doesn't, but on average they all burn oil. The insult to injury is that Audi's official line is that 1qt per 1000 miles is absolutely normal, and they won't do anything about it. That's what my 2007 S4 pretty much burned regularly, but eventually it burned 1qt per 500 miles when they discovered the valve cover needed to be replaced. After that it went back to the usual 1qt per 1000 miles. I essentially needed a steady oil supply in my garage, or make a trip to the dealership for a free top off. My 2013 RS5 was better and only burned 1qt every 3-4k miles. I did oil changes every 5k miles, so I had to do one top off in between. A couple of years ago Audi ran a pilot here in San Francisco called Audi on Demand and I took out several of their cars for some fun drives. Mainly different RS and R8 models. At one time, the oil light came on when I was hammering an R8 through the canyons. It's just part of owning an Audi.

There are some people that claim if you follow Audi's break-in instruction you will end up burning oil, and a hard break-in will seal the piston rings properly and avoid burning oil. The latter has been popularized by some motorcycle guy who has shown that a hard break-in leads to a better sealed engine, but I don't think it's ever been proven on a car engine. I was eventually done with it, and decided Audis are not keepers and I switched to AMG. I just say this. I now have a 2019 C63S coupe with the handbuilt AMG V8 engine. Followed AMGs break-in instructions as I've done with all my cars, and this engine burns zero oil now. It's the least troublesome performance car I've owned so far.
The following 3 users liked this post by superswiss:
cmiron (03-18-2024), dmdiggitydog (02-28-2024), MahaloAudi (10-15-2023)
Old 08-20-2021, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
That's what my 2007 S4 pretty much burned regularly, but eventually it burned 1qt per 500 miles when they discovered the valve cover needed to be replaced. After that it went back to the usual 1qt per 1000 miles. I essentially needed a steady oil supply in my garage, or make a trip to the dealership for a free top off.
My '06 S4 25th edition went through a qt of oil every 250 miles. I had it for 11 months and tallied up 57 qts of make up oil. I bought it used and was likely why the previous owner got rid of it...

Originally Posted by superswiss
There are some people that claim if you follow Audi's break-in instruction you will end up burning oil, and a hard break-in will seal the piston rings properly and avoid burning oil. The latter has been popularized by some motorcycle guy who has shown that a hard break-in leads to a better sealed engine, but I don't think it's ever been proven on a car engine. I was eventually done with it, and decided Audis are not keepers and I switched to AMG. I just say this. I now have a 2019 C63S coupe with the handbuilt AMG V8 engine. Followed AMGs break-in instructions as I've done with all my cars, and this engine burns zero oil now. It's the least troublesome performance car I've owned so far.
On my first Audi, an '05 A4 1.8T, I did the hard break-in and did not burn any measurable amount in the 155k miles I had her. The dip stick would show pretty much max line between the 5k intervals I did. I did the same break-in on our Q7 and same results so far at 66k miles. All the other Audis were pre-owned so no idea what break in regiment was done but the S4 was the only one that consumed that much oil. All the others were minimal, if any (no need to top off between oil changes).
Old 08-20-2021, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting consideration on the hard break-in. Our 2018 3.0 Q7 I bought end of ‘18 with 10K miles (dealer loaner). The last 2 years I’ve had to add oil at 7-8K after service (2-3 months before full service). Currently at 40K. We do tow a fair amount, so that could be a factor.

Also had a 2016 A3 for 3.5 years with no extra oil needed. Currently have a 2018 S4 bought last November with 30K and no oil need so far (although did have it checked after a “too much oil” light came on following some serious playing in snow…).
Old 09-11-2021, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi all!

Just an update from my previous post. My 2017 Audi Q7(~82,000 miles) underwent the oil consumption test for $189. I took the car in this week for "phase 2" of the test and I was told that I need pistons. The service manager was going advocate on my behalf for Audi to cover the cost. She suggested that I need to replace the valve and that would be my responsibility. At this point, i am kinda stuck because the car is paid for with little trade in value which sucks. I will here later this week on the "verdict" on whether Audi covers their defective cars.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by erhoskins
Hi all!

Just an update from my previous post. My 2017 Audi Q7(~82,000 miles) underwent the oil consumption test for $189. I took the car in this week for "phase 2" of the test and I was told that I need pistons. The service manager was going advocate on my behalf for Audi to cover the cost. She suggested that I need to replace the valve and that would be my responsibility. At this point, i am kinda stuck because the car is paid for with little trade in value which sucks. I will here later this week on the "verdict" on whether Audi covers their defective cars.
My Dealer wanted first part is $247, drive vehicle for 650 miles, and second part is $330 and drive another 650 miles. I do have an extended warranty, but I doubt its covered. I didn't do the test.

I wonder if this testing is priced differently by different dealers.

Old 09-12-2021, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you get an estimate to replace valve and pistons assuming that you have to pay everything out of your pocket? Get a second quote from a non dealer and decide what you want to do. My 2017 Audi Q7 is at 86000 miles and I just topped it off about 1000 miles ago.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No, I did not take to a non-Audi servicer because my car has only been serviced at Audi and I believe Audi should take financial responsibility of their poorly designed engines. I would like to pay for the new pistons in my 2017 Audi Q7 with 82,000 miles.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I purchased my 2017 Audi Q7 in August 2016. The vehicle is advertised as requiring servicing and oil change every 10,000 miles. Unfortunately, my vehicle has never made it to a 10,000 mile interval without the yellow oil indicator light come on. When I asked the Audi service agent , he states that the car does not typically make it to a 10,000 mile interval because of the large engine. Over the past 5 years the interval to add one quart of oil has been less and less. It has gone from ~9500, 7500, 3000 intervals. On July 22, 2021 I took my car in for the 80,000 mile service. The actual mileage on the odometer was 80,304. The car service was complete and returned. On August 16, 2021, my yellow oil indicator light came on at 81,588 miles. I called the my local Audi Service and was advised to come in for an oil consumption test. I also notified the National Audi Customer Service line to voice my concern for my car. I inquired if oil consumption is a known issue in the Audi Q7 2017. There was not a clear admission of this concern in their vehicles but it made me concern that this could be an issue because of historical issues with Audi's early consumption of oil. I am concerned because this vehicle has the oil indicator light come on in shorter intervals which make me concerned about the longevity and reliability of the engine.
Sorry to hear that. Is this 2T or 3T? 2017 was the first year with 2T, right?
Old 09-15-2021, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Handydoctor
Sorry to hear that. Is this 2T or 3T? 2017 was the first year with 2T, right?

Hi All!

My Audi Q7 2017 is a 3.0T. I just got word back from Audi Service that Audi of America will cover the cost of the repair. Praying that I can drive this car 1-2 more years!
The following 2 users liked this post by erhoskins:
edub07 (06-26-2023), MahaloAudi (10-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 2017 Oil Consumption. Any one else with this issue with this model and year?