Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

AU: Strange knock from front left suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 01:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AU: Strange knock from front left suspension

Hi all.

Recently taken ownership of a 2016 q7 mkii.

overall it’s really nice, but I’m just working my way through a couple of little issues to get it perfect.

The issue that’s challenging me at the moment is a suspension knock coming from the front left. It doesn’t sounds like a dead shock absorber, and frustratingly doesn’t make the noise all the time.

it seems fine when I get in and drive it first thing, but after about maybe 15-20 mins it (likely) will start doing it. Unfortunately as I said, it doesn’t do it all the time.

it doesn’t seem to do it going over speed bumps, it seems more likely to happen if there are small imperfections in the road (very small pothole, small corrugations….even the little reflectors they stock on the road.).

I’ve taken it to a suspension place, but they can’t find anything wrong which is really annoying because When it does happen, I can hear it distinctly.

So my question is, is anyone aware of any known issues with the front suspension in this model of car?

Im reluctantly to take it to Audi. They want $260 purely just to look at it, and there’s no guarantee they will find the cause (their words).

Cheers for any info.

Dave
Old 08-18-2022, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you are talking about driving the Q7 into an inclined driveway, while approaching the driveway at an angle, the front suspension makes a pretty loud pop/clunk sound. I changed both upper and lower control arm bushing and the noise is still there. I think it could be the top strut mount. Check out this thread.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Im fighting the same battle. I hear it on every single bump. I changed the lower control arms and sway bar links with no success. Both had some play in bushing so I am glad I did the replacements. But I am leaning towards top strut mounts as well - My engine mounts also show CLEAR signs of leaking so need to look at those as well... Keep us looped in
Old 08-20-2022, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts

The lower hydro bushing is said to be a 2017-18 problem, but you would never know if that 16 is having the same. See TSB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...50661-9999.pdf

And active engine mounts are a big problem too. Maybe it was the engine mounts.
Old 08-21-2022, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Steelcoil
The lower hydro bushing is said to be a 2017-18 problem, but you would never know if that 16 is having the same. See TSB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...50661-9999.pdf

There is no such thing as a MY2016 in NA, but in much of the world, and I’m assuming Australia as well, the MKII Q7 was introduced as a MY2016, so the TSB is probably relevant.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Steelcoil

I replaced those control arms so the hydro bushings is not my problem
Old 10-05-2022, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

hi guys.

so I wanted to come back and provide an update on this. Unfortunately, no fix as yet.

Audi had the car for heading in 4 weeks, and made a decent effort at trying to identify the problem. Unfortunately, they admitted defeat.

1) they borrowed a “pico” tool from another dealer to apparently try and measure where the noise was coming from. Whilst this didn’t provide any definitive answers, they claim it helped identify the “area” tue knock / rattle is coming from.

2) they commandeered one of their loan cars (same car as mine), and swapped over a whole bunch of parts as a process of elimination. (Strut, Hub, axle)…with no fix.

3) Upper control arm bushes have been replace.

4) they did a full visual inspection of the suspension and underbody components, with nothing to note out of tue ordinary.

In addition to this, when I got it home I tried a couple of additional things based off some internet readings.

1) I swapped left and right brake pads to see it if was coming from the pads themselves.

2) (This will make some of you cringe)….I capped off the brake line for the front left caliper (where the noise is coming from).
I then removed the caliper, and took the car for a slow drive with the front left caliper completely removed, and the noise was still there.
To me this proves definitively that the issue is not to do with the brakes or caliper.

I read the TSB from this thread….but not sure on relevance? It seems to be partially applicable…..but not fully. So I’m not sure why to make of that.

so, I’m at a loss. Audi is at a loss, and im poorer with no solution.

anyone got any bright ideas or questions or comments? Im open to anything at this stage.

Dave
Old 10-06-2022, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by davus123
hi guys.

so I wanted to come back and provide an update on this. Unfortunately, no fix as yet.

Audi had the car for heading in 4 weeks, and made a decent effort at trying to identify the problem. Unfortunately, they admitted defeat.

1) they borrowed a “pico” tool from another dealer to apparently try and measure where the noise was coming from. Whilst this didn’t provide any definitive answers, they claim it helped identify the “area” tue knock / rattle is coming from.

2) they commandeered one of their loan cars (same car as mine), and swapped over a whole bunch of parts as a process of elimination. (Strut, Hub, axle)…with no fix.

3) Upper control arm bushes have been replace.

4) they did a full visual inspection of the suspension and underbody components, with nothing to note out of tue ordinary.

In addition to this, when I got it home I tried a couple of additional things based off some internet readings.

1) I swapped left and right brake pads to see it if was coming from the pads themselves.

2) (This will make some of you cringe)….I capped off the brake line for the front left caliper (where the noise is coming from).
I then removed the caliper, and took the car for a slow drive with the front left caliper completely removed, and the noise was still there.
To me this proves definitively that the issue is not to do with the brakes or caliper.

I read the TSB from this thread….but not sure on relevance? It seems to be partially applicable…..but not fully. So I’m not sure why to make of that.

so, I’m at a loss. Audi is at a loss, and im poorer with no solution.

anyone got any bright ideas or questions or comments? Im open to anything at this stage.

Dave
Frustrating. Where are you located? Can you take a video of your noise? I am curious if it is the same noise as mine!
Old 10-06-2022, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I still think it's the strut mount on the top.
Old 10-06-2022, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bottles63
I still think it's the strut mount on the top.
Hi mate.

I don’t believe it’s the strut top. This has been swapped with a known good one (twice) and the noise remained.

Dave

Last edited by davus123; 10-06-2022 at 10:13 PM.

Quick Reply: AU: Strange knock from front left suspension