Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Anyone have issues with their soft close doors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgiman

MINE HAS NEVER BEEN RESOLVED. Anyone who can find the tsb# it would be greatly appreciated.
Here you are

Old 12-11-2018, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Force-1
After 9 months of ownership - zero issues with my doors.
Mine first manifested after about a year and @ approx 7k miles
Old 12-12-2018, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

RJC1 THANKS! Unfortunately all that has been done to mine but it’s still not fixed.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

RJC1 THANKS! Unfortunately all that has been done to mine but it’s still not fixed.
They may have replaced the motor with another defective one
Old 05-05-2020, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i've started to notice that the soft close feature on my 2019 Audi Q7 isn't working all the time now. I have 15,000kms on my car and it was serviced for it's first 15k about a month ago. Everything was smooth until the last 2 weeks, that sometimes i wouldn't be able to remote lock my door, then i realized that my drive side door isn't closed fully. After that, i paid more attention to how i close the door and i found that if i closed the drive door with just 'right' amount of force, the door would catch the latch but not pulling in. even though i did a scan using my OBDeleven and no faults have come up. It didn't happen all the time but i found it happens more often when I just got into a car or got out of the car after a short drive. Not sure if this is a software issue or hardware but i am planning to bring it up next time when i visit the dealership for my 2nd service. I haven't noticed these on my other doors, but just the driver side door for now.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pkalltheway2000
i've started to notice that the soft close feature on my 2019 Audi Q7 isn't working all the time now. I have 15,000kms on my car and it was serviced for it's first 15k about a month ago. Everything was smooth until the last 2 weeks, that sometimes i wouldn't be able to remote lock my door, then i realized that my drive side door isn't closed fully. After that, i paid more attention to how i close the door and i found that if i closed the drive door with just 'right' amount of force, the door would catch the latch but not pulling in. even though i did a scan using my OBDeleven and no faults have come up. It didn't happen all the time but i found it happens more often when I just got into a car or got out of the car after a short drive. Not sure if this is a software issue or hardware but i am planning to bring it up next time when i visit the dealership for my 2nd service. I haven't noticed these on my other doors, but just the driver side door for now.
I never got this issue resolved. They ultimately blamed it on ‘operator error’ and AOA told me they weren’t interested in helping. With mine if it failed to auto close a tug on the door handle would make it complete the cycle also if parked sideways on a garage ramp that was inclined the auto close feature never worked on the “downside doors.” I believe this is a software issue that Audi has never addressed.

Addendum: I’ve had several MB’s and Bentleys with this system and they worked EVERY TIME flawlessly. Bentley is part of the VW family so I’m. Betting the hardware is the same.

Last edited by Corgiman; 05-05-2020 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Additional content.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I never got this issue resolved. They ultimately blamed it on ‘operator error’ and AOA told me they weren’t interested in helping. With mine if it failed to auto close a tug on the door handle would make it complete the cycle also if parked sideways on a garage ramp that was inclined the auto close feature never worked on the “downside doors.” I believe this is a software issue that Audi has never addressed.

Addendum: I’ve had several MB’s and Bentleys with this system and they worked EVERY TIME flawlessly. Bentley is part of the VW family so I’m. Betting the hardware is the same.
Interesting to know that you mentioned about the ramp that was inclined as my garage is indeed inclined so not sure if it has something to do with it.
Thanks for the update though. I used to go to another dealership and they always said if there are errors on the scanner, then it's a non issue and everything is within 'Audi' specs.

It doesn't bother me to a point where i'd like to get it resolved right away, but if i could get it to 'NOT' soft close all the time then i will bring it to the dealership immediately.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting to know that you mentioned about the ramp that was inclined as my garage is indeed inclined so not sure if it has something to do with it.
Thanks for the update though. I used to go to another dealership and they always said if there are errors on the scanner, then it's a non issue and everything is within 'Audi' specs.

It doesn't bother me to a point where i'd like to get it resolved right away, but if i could get it to 'NOT' soft close all the time then i will bring it to the dealership immediately.
The inclined ramp was the only way I could reliably reproduce the problem. Otherwise it was a random but frequent occurrence.
In the end it’s a feature you paid for that doesn’t work and they need to figure it out. Other people have experienced the failure on inclines.
if enough people complain Audi will address this.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

starting to see this error now:

probably related to the soft close even though the soft close mechanism still seems to work without any issues. the funny thing is this message will not stay on, I had to close and open my door a few times in order to take a picture of this 'error'.

I can duplicate this message by putting the car at 'PARK' mode with parking brake on without shutting down the engine and then open the drivers door. I didn't remember seeing this message before by doing the same thing.

Last edited by pkalltheway2000; 05-07-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

starting to see this error now:

probably related to the soft close even though the soft close mechanism still seems to work without any issues. the funny thing is this message will not stay on, I had to close and open my door a few times in order to take a picture of this 'error'.

I can duplicate this message by putting the car at 'PARK' mode with parking brake on without shutting down the engine and then open the drivers door. I didn't remember seeing this message before by doing the same thing.

Same issue here. Car in park, ignition on or engine running. Open drivers door results in drivers door malfunction light and parking brake error that promptly goes away when the door is closed. Soft close door isn't working.

Quick Reply: Anyone have issues with their soft close doors?