Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

4 or 6 banger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4 or 6 banger?

Hi all,

I am planning on venture back into an Audi and really fallen for 2017 Q7 but do i really need a V6 or should i entertain the 4 cyclinder turbo?

You're help is appreciated.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi there! I had my heart set on getting a 3.0 Prestige and had test driven several over the past months. They have been harder to come by recently in my area, so I happened to look at a fully optioned 2.0 PP in pristine condition and test drove it just to compare. Ended up buying it - and also saving several thousand dollars in the process. Is there a noticeable difference between the two engines? The answer is yes! I have only owned the car for about 3 days now, and there are a few times under acceleration when I wish I hadn't compromised, but there are other times when it is very difficult to tell. Do you really "need" the V6? The answer would be no - unless you are planning on towing, or have a lead foot all the time
The following 2 users liked this post by 2018Q7WhitePearl:
Blake P (12-01-2020), Charlie Forsyth (12-06-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2018Q7WhitePearl
Hi there! I had my heart set on getting a 3.0 Prestige and had test driven several over the past months. They have been harder to come by recently in my area, so I happened to look at a fully optioned 2.0 PP in pristine condition and test drove it just to compare. Ended up buying it - and also saving several thousand dollars in the process. Is there a noticeable difference between the two engines? The answer is yes! I have only owned the car for about 3 days now, and there are a few times under acceleration when I wish I hadn't compromised, but there are other times when it is very difficult to tell. Do you really "need" the V6? The answer would be no - unless you are planning on towing, or have a lead foot all the time
Thanks. I did wonder if the 2.0 woud struggle but especially if fully loaded but seeing as i would mostly be driving this on my own until such family trip where it would be loaded and at most fulling a camper trailer so i'm thinking I would save on gas/maintenance with the 2.0.

The V6 just makes me think it's a lot of engine for primarily a single occupant and the miantenance side worries me.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This was basically my experience as well. When I test drove the 2.0 I was surprised that it didn't feel underpowered and I bought it. There are times when I'm trying to pass a car at highway speeds and I wish I had a little more power, but in everyday driving situations the 2.0 is perfect for my needs. FWIW, I always drive in S mode to keep the RPM's in the sweet spot.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,177 Likes on 919 Posts

You can throw a Stage 1 APR tune at a 2.0 for cheap money and make a bunch more power and not have to settle as much. Just an option...
The following 2 users liked this post by mhoran89:
Blake P (12-01-2020), keg97 (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Aud1Dan
Thanks. I did wonder if the 2.0 woud struggle but especially if fully loaded but seeing as i would mostly be driving this on my own until such family trip where it would be loaded and at most fulling a camper trailer so i'm thinking I would save on gas/maintenance with the 2.0.

The V6 just makes me think it's a lot of engine for primarily a single occupant and the miantenance side worries me.
Because the 2.0 and the gearbox are tuned to keep the engine in the optimal power band - which means higher revs, gas consumption of both engines is the same. So while you may save money on the initial purchase, you are not going to save much on gas consumption
The following users liked this post:
Blake P (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89
You can throw a Stage 1 APR tune at a 2.0 for cheap money and make a bunch more power and not have to settle as much. Just an option...
I am new to the Audi world and had to look this up on goapr.com. That is a significant boost in HP and torque for the money! Does that void the factory warranty? Are there other risks that I should be aware of?
Old 12-01-2020, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks peeps. The apr tune was always on the cards as i'ce always preferred a non-oem tune anyway so that's worth thinking about epsecially with those gains.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,177 Likes on 919 Posts

I am new to the Audi world and had to look this up on goapr.com. That is a significant boost in HP and torque for the money! Does that void the factory warranty? Are there other risks that I should be aware of?
Best bet is to double the price and get APR+ which gets you a powertrain warranty through APR.
Long story short yes. There are a million threads on this topic and you have to pay to play. If your wheel speed sensor dies they will cover it. If you put a rod through the block they will not.
Does that make sense? I would do some "Audi TD1 APR Tune" searches before asking more questions but know that we are always here to help!
The following users liked this post:
2018Q7WhitePearl (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We have a 2018 Q7 PP with the 2.0T. We bought it at the very end of 2018 brand new. This replaced our 2011 Mazda CX-9 with the 3.7 Ford V-6. I must admit, I wasn't keen on getting the 2.0T. I thought "no way" this thing is going to tow our ~3000lb toy hauler/camp trailer. Not to mention, get out of it's own way if needed. I already had an S3 with the 2.0, but this engine is a bit different. And it's pushing around a lot more weight.

I was pleasantly surprised. There is a noticeable lag when leaving from a dead stop. It's as if.... are you sure? Then it takes off like a champ. I've changed my mindset and now adjust for the pause. I had to do the same for my S3. I don't care what people say, there is a very noticeable lag with these turbos. Especially if you jump back and forth between a performance NA and turbo engine.

The kicker for me was price. I took home the 2018 for less than $50k. There is no way you'll find a 3.0 for that kind of deal. This was the last 2018 sitting on the lot. They only had the 2019's with the 3.0. The cheapest one they had at that time was listed at $58k. The fact that I already had a monthly payment on my S3, made this an easy decision.

As they say, no regerts (LOL). This car is on a whole different level from the Mazda. More tech, quicker, quieter, and it gets about the same mileage (even when towing). Speaking of towing, it does incredibly well. The ratings are actually higher than our V-6 Mazda at 4400lbs and 350lb tongue weight. It pulls hills effortlessly and has no problem spooling up to pass.

I keep seeing comments about the "poor little motor". Let's face it, these modern four bangers are actually pretty stout. I see no reason this motor won't go the distance. Currently at 26k miles with zero issues. We have the same transmission as the big motor. I'm struggling to find where the extra ~$6-8k entry price is worth it. Would I like a new SQ7 with that monster motor? Hell yeah! But I'd have to sell both my cars and a kidney! No thanks.

I recently installed a Unitronic Stage 1 tune (listed under the A4 2.0T). I chose Uni for the do-it-at-home option. I figure it can't hurt to have a little extra oomph. They're not huge gains, but this big girl moves on down the road just fine.

I hope I'm not sounding like I'm defending the little 2.0 or justifying my purchase. I am truly impressed with the car as it is. Hope this helps. Cheers!
The following 2 users liked this post by K-Bom:
Charlie Forsyth (12-02-2020), gestalt77 (12-07-2020)

Quick Reply: 4 or 6 banger?