Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2023 Audi Q7 Roof Bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2023 Audi Q7 Roof Bars

Has anyone had experience with adding roof bars to an Audi Q7, and a 2023 to be specific. I understand that if I do not buy the OEM offered bar, I run the risk of the roof bar not working or obstructing the operation of the moonroof. If fact, on non-OEM models, they specifically mention that you will need to keep the moonroof closed. If I am limited to the OEM model, has anyone had it installed and are they happy with the results so far. Love to hear people's experience on this topic. Thanks
Old 04-25-2024, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,178 Likes on 920 Posts

never had this issue with thule aero bars on two q7s. not sure on the 2023 but from what I have heard the roof bars have not changed since 2017. best of luck. I am sure someone else will chime in.
The following users liked this post:
RDM2024 (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RDM2024
Has anyone had experience with adding roof bars to an Audi Q7, and a 2023 to be specific. I understand that if I do not buy the OEM offered bar, I run the risk of the roof bar not working or obstructing the operation of the moonroof. If fact, on non-OEM models, they specifically mention that you will need to keep the moonroof closed. If I am limited to the OEM model, has anyone had it installed and are they happy with the results so far. Love to hear people's experience on this topic. Thanks
We have the OEM bars, they sit a little high but work nicely and actually bolt into the rails instead of clamping onto them. 2022 Q7

AP4A2380 by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

Thule does have the Aeroblade which if they are lower can run the risk of blocking the sunroof... but never a big deal to me. I run their Aeroblades on our allroad. Anytime I have the bars on I never open the sunroof anyways. Way to noisy so it never made sense to me that it was a concern for people.

Bike Gang by Ryan Ponto, on Flickr

Old 04-25-2024, 01:34 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

While I don't have access to real-time data or personal experiences, it's common for OEM roof bars to be designed specifically for compatibility with the vehicle's features, including the moonroof, roof rails, and overall aerodynamics. Opting for OEM roof bars for your 2023 Audi Q7 is generally a safe choice to ensure proper fitment and functionality without obstructing the moonroof or compromising vehicle performance.
RDM2024 (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I do like that they bolt on to the rail. I am leaning towards just getting the OEM to be safe. Thanks, Bob
Old 04-26-2024, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I do like that they bolt on to the rail. I am leaning towards just getting the OEM to be safe. Thanks, Bob
the thule aerobars bolt on just like OEM ones. no clamps used. I had run the same pair of bars up to 130+ MPH with a thule box more than once and never had an issue opening the sunroof or anything coming loose. they are also all black which I liked on my black optic package equipped second Q7. each to their own though.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the info. I went to the Thule site, and based on the Audi Q7 model input, directs me to either Thule Wingbar Edge, or Thule Wingbar EVO. Both options include a number of customer reviews that reflected either difficulty with the sunroof (Edge) or loud Whisting noises (EVO). I am glad you have had no problems - is your aerobar the general name I should use to search for these - they do offer an Aeroblade Edge, but it was not listed as compatible with an Audi Q7.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info. I went to the Thule site, and based on the Audi Q7 model input, directs me to either Thule Wingbar Edge, or Thule Wingbar EVO. Both options include a number of customer reviews that reflected either difficulty with the sunroof (Edge) or loud Whisting noises (EVO). I am glad you have had no problems - is your aerobar the general name I should use to search for these - they do offer an Aeroblade Edge, but it was not listed as compatible with an Audi Q7.
The wingbars are the aero ones for the Q7.

Any roof bar will make noise, OEM ones do too. For the whistling I could see that if they didn't put the rubber strip in the T slot channel along the top.

I had the rubber seal come out of our OEM bars and they started whistling. Put it back in place and it was good.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

thule wingbar edge. I did not like the look of crossbars being longer than the rails that ran the length of the vehicle. they are quiet, sturdy, have a lifetime warranty. the only thing is they don't sit perfectly level. the back of the car is lower than the front (roof). the thule bars unlike the audi bars are the same front and rear. the towers are different with the OEM audi bars so the bars sit flat so a box sits flatter. this has been discussed many times in many threads. never bothered me and always liked thule and yakima.

for one reason alone I would go with thule - lifetime warranty. another reason would be when you get a box (thule) or an other rack, you can have the same lock cores in everything so you only need to carry one extra key that unlocks all thule products on your vehicle which makes things much more simple.
RDM2024 (04-27-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't have any input on how OEM vs non-OEM bars perform, however my understanding is that when you attach the OEM bars into the slots, the stability control program is adjusted accordingly to account for having a load above. If that matters to anyone

Quick Reply: 2023 Audi Q7 Roof Bars