Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2022 Q7 rear parking sensor pushed in?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2022 Q7 rear parking sensor pushed in?!

I got a notification while driving that my rear parking sensor was unavailable (can’t remember exactly what the error message said) and I assumed there must be some debris blocking the sensor. When I parked and looked at the rear bumper I could see that one of the sensors on the driver side in the rear valence was pushed in about 5mm or so with no obvious way of pulling it back out other than maybe removing the valence and/or bumper. There is no sign of the car being hit or tampered with and simply appears to be a random/isolated incident. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, is there a quick/easy fix? I will try and see what the dealer says, but in the meantime wanted to check in with you guys.

Last edited by Blake P; 04-11-2023 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Add image
Old 04-12-2023, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 139 Likes on 101 Posts

Rear left parking sensor - this is a photo from the underneath looking towards the rear, from when I swapped out my Q7 valance for the SQ7 valance (yes I know I still need to do the write up and share the photos...).

You can see the sensor clearly in both of these, above the trapezoid shape of the false exhaust. Either the sensor has just come out of its cradle, or the cradle itself has come away from the valance (it's just kinda stuck on).

I wouldn't bother going to the dealer for this unless something is broken, get under the bumper and try to snap the sensor back into place if it's come out, or use some superglue/hot glue to reattached the cradle if its come loose.

DON'T disconnect the sensor from its wiring harness though, it's understood on here that that triggers a dealer-reset of the whole sensor system...

Good luck

Old 08-29-2023, 01:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear parking sensor

New here. Doing research on our 2022 Audi Q7 and happened across your post. Ours is the Passenger side outer most sensor that was acting up. It looks pushed in but there is no visible damage to the bumper anywhere. Did you fix this yourself or take it to the dealership?
Old 10-03-2023, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wanted to update this thread. I had the dealer reattach the first sensor quick and easy, no charge. Shortly afterward, the same exact thing happened to a rear parking sensor on the opposite side. I decided to get underneath and check it out. The adhesive failed, so I removed the double sided tape, cleaned the surfaces and reattached it myself with new 3M adhesive . Now I noticed a third rear sensor has done the same exact thing. That's 3 of 4 rear sensors failed in 14 months! Whoever at Audi decided that double sided tape was a good idea for securing parking sensors on a "premium" vehicle was a good idea needs to be fired. Probably the same guy who designed the rapidly failing USB-C ports on these cars...
The following users liked this post:
AudiOwner2023 (10-20-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PsyQ7
Rear left parking sensor - this is a photo from the underneath looking towards the rear, from when I swapped out my Q7 valance for the SQ7 valance (yes I know I still need to do the write up and share the photos...).

You can see the sensor clearly in both of these, above the trapezoid shape of the false exhaust. Either the sensor has just come out of its cradle, or the cradle itself has come away from the valance (it's just kinda stuck on).

I wouldn't bother going to the dealer for this unless something is broken, get under the bumper and try to snap the sensor back into place if it's come out, or use some superglue/hot glue to reattach the cradle if it comes loose.

Don't disconnect the sensor from its wiring harness, as it's understood here that doing so may trigger a dealer reset of the whole sensor system. For frugal living tips for seniors, avoiding unnecessary resets and ensuring proper maintenance can contribute to cost-effective vehicle ownership.
Good luck

So, I walked outside to my car after my morning trip to Starbucks and found this when I walked around my car. I'm not sure how this happened, but I'm assuming someone got a little touchy-feely with my car, as I can't imagine it would just fall into the hole on its own. Either way, does anyone know how to fix this without taking off the bumper? BTW, I spent the weekend driving on a gravel road, hence the dust. The car isn't always that dirty

Last edited by irontmp; 11-15-2023 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-25-2023, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 139 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by irontmp
So, I walked outside to my car after my morning trip to Starbucks and found this when I walked around my car. I'm not sure how this happened, but I'm assuming someone got a little touchy-feely with my car, as I can't imagine it would just fall into the hole on its own. Either way, does anyone know how to fix this without taking off the bumper? BTW, I spent the weekend driving on a gravel road, hence the dust. The car isn't always that dirty
Yeah, I mean, per the above, if you lay down and skooch backwards under the car, you'll see the same as my photos above. Should either be a case of clicking the sensor back into the bracket, or gluing the bracket back into place. Just don't disconnect the sensor from it's wire harness!
Old 10-30-2023, 05:03 AM
Q7_PANZER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blake P;[url=tel:25851013
25851013[/url]]I wanted to update this thread. I had the dealer reattach the first sensor quick and easy, no charge. Shortly afterward, the same exact thing happened to a rear parking sensor on the opposite side. I decided to get underneath and check it out. The adhesive failed, so I removed the double sided tape, cleaned the surfaces and reattached it myself with new 3M adhesive . Now I noticed a third rear sensor has done the same exact thing. That's 3 of 4 rear sensors failed in 14 months! Whoever at Audi decided that double sided tape was a good idea for securing parking sensors on a "premium" vehicle was a good idea needs to be fired. Probably the same guy who designed the rapidly failing USB-C ports on these cars...
Aloha from Hawai'i. Can you explain the "rapidly fakling USB-C" ports? I've used mine extensively for a variety of accessories and they're good to go. 2021 Q7 55.
Old 10-30-2023, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Blake P
I wanted to update this thread. I had the dealer reattach the first sensor quick and easy, no charge. Shortly afterward, the same exact thing happened to a rear parking sensor on the opposite side. I decided to get underneath and check it out. The adhesive failed, so I removed the double sided tape, cleaned the surfaces and reattached it myself with new 3M adhesive . Now I noticed a third rear sensor has done the same exact thing. That's 3 of 4 rear sensors failed in 14 months! Whoever at Audi decided that double sided tape was a good idea for securing parking sensors on a "premium" vehicle was a good idea needs to be fired. Probably the same guy who designed the rapidly failing USB-C ports on these cars...
You should have made the dealer do all of them. Get it on the record as having failed under warranty
Old 03-11-2024, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brand new 2024 RS5 competition (took delivery on 2.29.24).
Two rear bumper sensors are hanging on by a thread.
The car is going into service on Thursday.
According to the tech, it is a labor-intensive job that requires the rear bumper to be dropped. Awesome.
It is tough to see but the shadow on the sensor tells the story.