Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2020 Audi SQ7 and SQ8 released for USA Spring 2020

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by itiongo
I believe knowledgeable audi reps knew the SQ7 was coming in 2020. I knew from my audi sales rep in November 2019. We just didn't know if the motor was going to be the V8 or V6.
Yeah me too...I met a Audi Corp rep at an etron launch event. He told me about the SQ7 coming and the hybrid Q5 how it was close to the SQ5 in terms of power.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

https://audiclubna.org/audi-sq7-test-mule-spied/

from last spring. Multiple articles across multiple publications were out there, and dealers knew (unconfirmed engine as they had not yet decided) too. There isn’t much point in advertising a car 12 months before release unless you’re a small tier manufacturer.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Karrera4
I am a die hard audi loyalist. have always had them and will always have them assuming they continue on the path they are on. that being said, they are HORRIBLE at product development and release timelines. WTF are they doing waiting until January to announce these 2020 models!? They should have been signaling it last spring for 2020. I ran out and got the RS5 because i was pretty certain they werent bringing a 2020 model year here with the facelift items and even if they did, i didnt care - small changes. However, had they signaled the SQ7 for the states, I would have gotten one in a heartbeat.I remember there was talk and then radio silence..and since there was nothing announced when they introduced the RS6 avant, i assumed no go. So I run out and get a fully loaded Q because there was no insight as to what S models were coming and they drop this. F me...guess Ill be waiting a year or two and swapping it out when the wife isnt looking.
Wow, look at it from Audi perspective, they will make more money out of you !!! If they could just get others to keep swapping for newer models every few years, that would make them more money. Come to think of it, maybe they are more cunning than anyone on this forum gives them the credit for. Create the appetite, then go silent, drop some hints, wait, make announcement, yes it's coming, wait some more, no there is no hard date, some more silence, ahhh, OK we can let you order it now. Watch the frenzy, based on the feedback on this forum, I think most of us would jump into the new SQ7. What better advertising campaign can you devise that doesn't cost you anything ???
Old 01-17-2020, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I am not saying you guys are wrong...I agree with you actually. I read those articles, but then there were others saying "probably not to the states"; even Audi's website had posted info about 2021 models last year, but nothing on 2020. Just seems disorganized. I dont consider Porsche "small tier" and they seem to do a pretty good job with the timing of new models (while current models are still not only being sold, but configurable) and it does seem to hurt their sales.

In the end, love that we are starting to get some of the models the rest of the world gets...what was always going to be a definite Cayenne purchase in the future will now have some competition with the SQ7 and RSQ8. Cant complain about that.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

I am not saying you guys are wrong...I agree with you actually. I read those articles, but then there were others saying "probably not to the states"; even Audi's website had posted info about 2021 models last year, but nothing on 2020. Just seems disorganized. I dont consider Porsche "small tier" and they seem to do a pretty good job with the timing of new models (while current models are still not only being sold, but configurable) and it does seem to hurt their sales.

In the end, love that we are starting to get some of the models the rest of the world gets...what was always going to be a definite Cayenne purchase in the future will now have some competition with the SQ7 and RSQ8. Cant complain about that.
Porsche’s anticipated models also sell for at or more than MSRP and have waiting lists 1-2 years deep. That’s how VW chooses to run that brand because that brand has show it can sustain that model. They also make a small minute fraction of cars than Audi does. They are a small tier manufacturer in every sense of the word.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SUVs are the cash cow. Sedans and coupes are becoming harder to sell.

it was a mistake for Audi to go with the 2.9 and it will probably have a short life. They flooded the market with too many RS5s trying to cash in with a higher ticket price. A regular S5 prestige at 67k is a much better buy than an RS5 at 90. For 75 extra HP and a similar V6?

They should have put the 4.0 V8 in there and kept the production lower. Trying to market 2 V6 engines may work for Porsche, but not so much for Audi.

For 85-90k, a 500 hp SQ7 all day long over a 2.9 S6 or RS5 Sportback. Or any Porsche Cayenne for far less money.

Last edited by jperryrocks; 01-17-2020 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Porsche’s anticipated models also sell for at or more than MSRP and have waiting lists 1-2 years deep. That’s how VW chooses to run that brand because that brand has show it can sustain that model. They also make a small minute fraction of cars than Audi does. They are a small tier manufacturer in every sense of the word.
I’d consider myself fairly familiar with Porsche. The wait lists are for the GT cars, and even with that if you have a solid dealer relationship you can always get one. Also if you think or know people paying at or greater than msrp for a cayenne, macan, boxster or panny 2 years in they aren’t doing something right. Sure Porsche is selling less cars than Audi, but it’s not Ferrari or lambo cranking out a few thousand cars a year. Those are small tier.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
SUVs are the cash cow. Sedans and coupes are becoming harder to sell.

it was a mistake for Audi to go with the 2.9 and it will probably have a short life. They flooded the market with too many RS5s trying to cash in with a higher ticket price. A regular S5 prestige at 67k is a much better buy than an RS5 at 90. For 75 extra HP and a similar V6?

They should have put the 4.0 V8 in there and kept the production lower. Trying to market 2 V6 engines may work for Porsche, but not so much for Audi.

For 85-90k, a 500 hp SQ7 all day long over a 2.9 S6 or RS5 Sportback. Or any Porsche Cayenne for far less money.

totally agree on the SQ7. If that’s the price point it’s right where the sticker was on my Q7 prestige which is kind of sad. I wouldn’t compare it to the RS5, as they serve different purposes so it couldn’t be instead of that car or vice versa. Id keep the RS for now and trade the Q for the SQ and just tell my wife I was taking her car in for service
Old 01-18-2020, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

totally agree on the SQ7. If that’s the price point it’s right where the sticker was on my Q7 prestige which is kind of sad. I wouldn’t compare it to the RS5, as they serve different purposes so it couldn’t be instead of that car or vice versa. Id keep the RS for now and trade the Q for the SQ and just tell my wife I was taking her car in for service
I hope your wife takes good care of her car, cause if I get a $90k SQ7 there is no way my wife goes near it. She can keep dinging up the $67k 18' Q7 she has.

Thing is I just don't know if I want to replace my 18' S6, only 13k miles on it, it's the best car I've owned and I'm absolutely in love with that machine.

Last edited by Blackhawk123; 01-18-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackhawk123
I hope your wife takes good care of her car, cause if I get a $90k SQ7 there is no way my wife goes near it. She can keep dinging up the $67k 18' Q7 she has.

Thing is I just don't know if I want to replace my 18' S6, only 13k miles on it, it's the best car I've owned and I'm absolutely in love with that machine.
👍😁 totally agree. Good we share ideas about how to go around the Boss, mostly.
so we can get to play with our toys.
cheers,
Bob
PS: a trick that works, increase the family size, so you can justify a 7 seater. Somebody gotta take those kids to pratice fast, right?

Quick Reply: 2020 Audi SQ7 and SQ8 released for USA Spring 2020