Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2019 Q7 vs 2019 Land Rover Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Q7 vs 2019 Land Rover Discovery

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could help me decide between the 2019 Q7 and the 2019 Land Rover Discovery. Both models I am looking at have the same amenities and roughly the same cost. The Q7 is brand new and the Disco was used as a loaner car for the dealership. Just curious if any of you also had looked at the Disco before buying a Q7. Thanks!!
Old 05-04-2020, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

2020 Defender
The following 2 users liked this post by dreadlocks:
patronsaintofpie (05-06-2020), Paul3.2A4avant (05-06-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In my personal opinion, nothing says “I have terrible taste in SUVs” like a Land Rover...
Old 05-04-2020, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I can’t recommend anyone buy a Land Rover. Most models have a certain presence, Discovery excluded, and I can see why they have their following. They are just not reliable and depreciate like a rock. A true lease-only vehicle not to be kept past warranty.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my wife, who drives a 2018 Q7, has a friend who works for a Land Rover/Jaguar dealer in the Washington, DC area. Her job is submitting warranty claims to the factory for both marques. Let's just say there are a lot for Land Rover. I personally don't see the Discovery as being an equivalent vehicle compared to the Q7.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking of the same two cars. We ended up getting the Q7 mainly because we already have a RRS. Tbh I liked the discovery more, but my wife liked the Q7. It’s her car, so that’s that. Lol Also on a side note, there are a lot of discovery’s on lots and you should be able to get a great deal on a new one. We’ve owned over 5 JLR products and they weren’t that bad to maintain. There wasn’t anything catastrophic that went wrong. However, we have not kept the cars past warranty.

Here are a few things I noticed:
Discovery:
Better 3rd row for adults. We have kids so it’s not as bad for a Q7. 3rd row is actually quite reasonable for an adult longer trips in a Disco.
Generally more room and storage compartments. infotainment is just okay, but we almost only use apple car play, so it kinda circumvents the native infotainment.
terrible trunk space if the back row is up
More truck like drive vs car like
engine feels less refined than Q7
60:40 2nd row split
the options can really add up
more exclusive (read, I don’t think they don’t sell that well)

Q7
This was the deciding factor. 40/20/40 split was nice. I removed the middle seat cause two of my kids are in car seats. So we have captains chair seating. Makes it easier for kids to get in and out.
Moving forward the middle row allows for a reasonable 3rd row
Better trunk space if the 3rd row is up
similar power figures as disco, but I feel the Q7 is more refined?
Very comfortable engine and car like drive
Infotainment is just that much better

Truly, both would have been great options for us. Hope this helps?

Old 05-05-2020, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

Thank you all for the comments! I also have kids: 2 teens and a 9 year old. I brought my 2 teens to the Audi dealership to test out the 3rd row, it’s clumsy to access, and once there they had to lift their feet up in order to lock the 2nd row back into place, and then they felt cramped. They both agreed that it would be fine sitting there for a short commute but not for a long journey. I also noticed that to make the 3rd row go up using the electronic controls, you have to make sure the 2nd row is slid forward, otherwise the headrests of the 3rd row get caught on the backs of the 2nd row and won’t go up. I think this is a design flaw. It should be simpler to engage and more comfortable to sit in. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

That's weird. The headrest in the 3rd row should be folded down and you secure them upright when the seat is fully raised up and secure...and on the way down the headrest flop back down by the tab or by themselves as to clear the 2nd row

Last edited by Dasaint; 05-05-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We went through a similar evaluation and ultimately decided against the Land Rover for reliability reasons, as said above. In addition, the local LR dealer did not have a great reputation which made us uncomfortable. We have been Lexus owners for many years and considered an RX but if you think the 3rd row is tight in the Q7 then get ready for a laugh at the space in an RX. We had owned a GX but the current model is quite old and not refreshed in a long time. When the day was done the Q7 won due to quality (rated at the top), comfort, and we got a great price.

Last edited by Pushinit; 05-05-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We traded our 2007 Q7 for a new 2013 Land Rover LR4. LR4 has fantastic 3rd row space for our tall teens, powerful V8, snow mode for winter travel, better beach sand traction than the Q7 and has been very reliable over 120K miles. I would like to replace the LR4 someday but can't find anything I like better. (Same feelings that any of us original allroad owners experienced)

I have considered replacing our LR4 with a Discovery or Q7. The Discovery is nice but falls short of a replacement for the LR4. You can certainly get a great deal on one as they are not selling, especially not to LR4 owners. Q7 handles better and has a better engine. But it lacks traction modes and is primarily an on-road vehicle. Third row is useless for my family and luggage space is reduced by the forward sloping roof line. And I don't like run flat tires and the lack of a spare tire is unacceptable to me.

Do what I'm doing...wait to check out the new 2020 Defender. The 110 model may be big enough and if not, wait for the 2021 130 model. So far the on-road and off-road reviews have been very good. I know JLR is always at the bottom of quality reviews, but from my experience in owning 3 of them, the overall quality is very similar to the 6 Audis I have owned.

Last edited by Paul3.2A4avant; 05-06-2020 at 06:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Q7 vs 2019 Land Rover Discovery