Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2019 Q7 Tire chunking and sloughing tread

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 Q7 Tire chunking and sloughing tread

Tires that came new on the 2019 Audi Q7 Premium Plus

18” 255/60 Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season AO (W-Speed Rated) Made in Germany tires made for Audi.

These are the original tires that came on the Q7 when purchased on November 29, 2019.

Took the car in for a recall of Deformation Element and 20,000 oil change. I complained about the serious issue with both of the front tires as previously described. The rear tires were like new and had no rubber loss like the front tires. The actual mileage on the car at the time of service was 19,583.

The service advisor blamed the roads I drive on and driving during summer high temperatures. He also talked about the Technical Service Advisory. I was informed that I would have to pay for the replacement tires and alignment. I was over a millage stated in the TSB. Thank but no thank you.

My local tire shop guy looked at the 2 front tires and was surprised at the damage. The tread wear bars showed uniform ware across the tire with chunks and slivers of rubber pealing off the tire. The actual tread wear on the front looked tires about the same as the rear. Mike commented he had seen tires worn like this only once before and it was a truck being used at a Rock Quarry. I told him I did not to use the same tire as a replacement and he agreed. He recommended replacing all four tires with 225/60R 18XL 112V Continental Crosscontact LX Sport. These tires are Extra Load instead of Standard Load of the Audi AO tires.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,177 Likes on 919 Posts

Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season tires are known to have these issues. I would suggest dumping them and also moving to a non run-flat tire when you have the opportunity. Will completely transform the ride quality for the better.
The following 2 users liked this post by mhoran89:
arU4ic (06-23-2021), uberwgn (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season tires are known to have these issues. I would suggest dumping them and also moving to a non run-flat tire when you have the opportunity. Will completely transform the ride quality for the better.
To be clear, this is a known issue of this model tire and not of any tire on the front of this car? I have the same issue and it only affects the outer edges of the front tires. So, other tires mounted on the front do not exhibit the same extreme wear on the edges? Observing this wear over time, I assumed it was an alignment issue or a suspension geometry design flaw. I've had several people say "Nice car! OMG, what's up with your tires?"
Old 05-25-2021, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So its a Goodyear Eagle Sport tire issue and not the alignment or suspension design flaw.
The following users liked this post:
arU4ic (06-23-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,177 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by refinished
To be clear, this is a known issue of this model tire and not of any tire on the front of this car? I have the same issue and it only affects the outer edges of the front tires. So, other tires mounted on the front do not exhibit the same extreme wear on the edges? Observing this wear over time, I assumed it was an alignment issue or a suspension geometry design flaw. I've had several people say "Nice car! OMG, what's up with your tires?"
Originally Posted by David Miles
So its a Goodyear Eagle Sport tire issue and not the alignment or suspension design flaw.
Correct. Every single person who has dumped the crapyear eagle sport tires and gone to something different has had great success with no "front tire feathering, chunking, etc.". If you need an alignment, you should get one... because that will exacerbate poor tire wear, but it is not needed if your car's alignment is currently good.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any comments on this compromising the tire? The tire looks oddly worn and 'feathered' but not to the point of baldness. Could I rotate the front and back at the corner shop until I have the time to do some research and wait for a sale to get some less awful tires??
Old 05-25-2021, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Based on my local tire shop that I have used for the last 25 years, I replaced all four tires with 225/60R 18XL 112V Continental Crosscontact LX Sport. These tires are Extra Load instead of Standard Load of the Audi AO tires. Like excessive oil consumption in older engines, Diesel Emissions scandal and I guess the latest is the issue with the Goodyear Eagle sport tires they put on the Q7. The Audi Dealership Service Adviser wanted to charge me $ 616.00 dollars to replace the (2) front tires with the same poorly designed tire.......No way.... Replaced all four for just about $ 200.00 more. There are not a lot of choices for 255/60R 18 inch tires for the Q7.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Correction replaced all four tires with 255/60R 18XL 112V Continental Crosscontact LX Sport
Old 05-26-2021, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

As was said it’s a known issue on the eagle sports. If you call Goodyear customer service they will get you new ones at a prorated cost. Since your back ones are still good it may be the less expensive way to go.
I got a new tire for about $175.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks, I replaced all four tires with 255/60R 18XL 112V Continental Crosscontact LX Sport . Sooooo done with the Goodyear tires and Audi Dealers response to the problem. Based on my research replacing with the same tire would not solve the problem. The Q7 does not have a spare tire and I want tires that will hold up. My guess is Audi has this tire made just for them to provide excellent braking and handling results for the new car magazines to report. They want to make sure they get excellent results from the Government test results. I think this is standard for all car new manufactures.

Quick Reply: 2019 Q7 Tire chunking and sloughing tread