Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2019 Q7 Technik Canada - Traffic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the note from Audicare as well now and have booked my appointment for the Q7 so looks like it is out in the wild for everyone.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JV23
I just got the note from Audicare as well now and have booked my appointment for the Q7 so looks like it is out in the wild for everyone.
I just reached out to Audi Canada and they have 'confirmed' that a new software update is available to enable 'traffic information online' feature through Audi Connect. All the dealership in Canada should have this new software update and anyone can reach out to their preferred dealership to have their software updated. However, just be reminded that this feature through Audi Connect is only available to selected 2019 Audi models.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boshiku
Do you have odb to check what tmc code they set in your car?
On the minor roads, only red or orange lines appear when there is traffic, no green lines for normal flow, thats why it looks patchy.
As for the traffic lights info, as of feb 2019 "time-to-green and GLOSA information are available in Dallas, Denver, Gainesville, Fla.; Houston, Kansas City, Kansas; Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York City, Orlando, Fla.; Phoenix, Portland, Ore.; San Francisco, and Washington, D.C. and northern Virginia. Not every light is covered in the region"

Yes it is Now set to: 65533

If it only shows when there is traffic for the traffic flow in the city that’s a bit weird. There are many times when I’m stuck in traffic and it shows nothing.
I’ve also seen green lines on some streets just not all of them and it seems to be random.

Any US owners experience this?
The following users liked this post:
boshiku (07-24-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Audi S5

Originally Posted by mlavio829
So I just received an email that an update is available for my 2019 A5 to enable the traffic information........has anyone gotten this?
I have a 2019 S5 SB and I have been able to get the infotainment features including google earth, weather online search, etc with the exception of Live Traffic working but I can only get these features working when I connect the Car to a hotspot on my phone and cannot get them to work via built in SIM and AT&T’s Canada data package (I purchased the base $15 monthly 1Gb plan). Dows anyone else in Canada with an A5/S5 have the AT&T data connection working (I’d prefer not having the hassles of having to connect to my hotspot every time I get into the car). BTW my local has been absolutely useless told me numerous times my car can’t get theses features.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So got my upgrade for traffic last week. Confirmed that traffic light functionality is there now, though no lights in Oakville/Mississauga are plugged in. Also confirming that the tmc code is 65533, and that it only gives highways out west of gta. Kind of frustrating...google, wake and even Here traffic (which I thought was the source for 2019+ Audi) has main streets active, though annoyingly, the Audi app doesn’t even show traffic at all!

hopefully something back end will change magically at some point so we get better aggregated information!
Old 06-30-2019, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JV23
So got my upgrade for traffic last week. Confirmed that traffic light functionality is there now, though no lights in Oakville/Mississauga are plugged in. Also confirming that the tmc code is 65533, and that it only gives highways out west of gta. Kind of frustrating...google, wake and even Here traffic (which I thought was the source for 2019+ Audi) has main streets active, though annoyingly, the Audi app doesn’t even show traffic at all!

hopefully something back end will change magically at some point so we get better aggregated information!
I’m actually super disappointed. Besides Tesla, Audi is supposedly one of the more technologically advanced companies. It was concerning to me that my dealer had never actually done an MMI update before they did mine.

Supposedly the Traffic light information works in Ottawa? Not sure if someone from Ottawa can confirm or not.

Im really disappointed by the traffic flow tho. Audi Canada’s website very specifically states that traffic flow shows information on highways, city and urban places. This is clearly not the case. What’s worse is that I actually get random traffic flow on some city streets but it’s either on one side of the road or doesn’t do the whole road. It’s really weird.
Really expected more from Audi.

I’ve been in contact with Audi Care Canada who deals with the Connected Services. I’m hoping they can share more on what’s going on.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

So just wanted to provide an update for everyone from the information I obtained from my contact at Audi Connect Care in Canada.

Calendar:
Apparently the Calendar function which is supposed to work with the myAudi app when connected to the Wifi in the car does not work in Canada.
According to the Audi Connect Brochures, it should, but it doesn't. They don't seem to know why but it may work in the future, but no real idea of when.

Traffic on the myAudi App
Apparently this does not work for any Canadians however it should.
They are hoping that an update will come out for the myAudi app that enables it.

Traffic Flow
This is a bit of a sore point for me as i really wanted this working. I was under the impression that Traffic is provided by Inrix however it is no longer being provided by them.
Apparently it is now provided by Nokia HERE.
I inquired about the spotty traffic information. I asked why it sometimes only works one side of the road or why it only works on some streets but works on all major highways.
It seems that there are different Functional Road Classes (FRC) that Nokia HERE provides. Our MMI works and is only getting FRC 1-3. This is the reason why it shows Traffic flow on the highways and only traffic events such as big accidents or construction.
It currently will not show Traffic Flow in the City (even though they say it does on their website). This apparently is a limitation of the provider - Nokia HERE.
At this point in time, that is all the information they have.
The following users liked this post:
JV23 (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the update and I am right there with you on the disappointment over traffic. There seems to be a massive disconnect between the advertising and what is in Canada in many levels. Stereo brands being mislabeled, functionality that doesn’t exist...very frustrating and misleading. I had a very short window to pick a car after my last was totalled by a moron (not me ), so I relied on the literature a fair bit. I am kind of split between caveat emptor for not doing enough research and making assumptions of what a premiere experience in a luxury car would be and shame on Audi for not issuing accurate info.

the Q7 sure does drive nice though...
Old 07-09-2019, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mlavio829
So just wanted to provide an update for everyone from the information I obtained from my contact at Audi Connect Care in Canada.

Traffic Flow
This is a bit of a sore point for me as i really wanted this working. I was under the impression that Traffic is provided by Inrix however it is no longer being provided by them.
Apparently it is now provided by Nokia HERE.
I inquired about the spotty traffic information. I asked why it sometimes only works one side of the road or why it only works on some streets but works on all major highways.
It seems that there are different Functional Road Classes (FRC) that Nokia HERE provides. Our MMI works and is only getting FRC 1-3. This is the reason why it shows Traffic flow on the highways and only traffic events such as big accidents or construction.
It currently will not show Traffic Flow in the City (even though they say it does on their website). This apparently is a limitation of the provider - Nokia HERE.
At this point in time, that is all the information they have.
I went to the development area of the Here website - and here is what they say about FRCs:
1. A road with high volume, maximum speed traffic
2. A road with high volume, high speed traffic
3. A road with high volume traffic
4. A road with high volume traffic at moderate speeds between neighborhoods
5. A road whose volume and traffic flow are below the level of any other functional class

Wondering how they only bucket highways as 3 or less?
Old 09-05-2021, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering, how do I get this software update to enable traffic in Canada? I have a 2019 SQ5 with MMI version 1316 and it has SiriusXM included along with other Audi Connect features. Do I need to get the dealer to install a software update, or execute some TSB, or subscribe to the traffic channel on SiriusXM? Even if it’s only for the 401 corridor west of the GTA, that happens to be where I am.