Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 Audi Q7 Towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
Would this work as a protector? Not sure if 4" dia is too wide.... That way he can buy 1 kit + the protector.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...RoCnWkQAvD_BwE
I ordered the extra kit and 2 of these protectors. I'll let you know which one I ended up going with. I hope to do the installation this coming weekend.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,178 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by ecbc1
The 60901 works for me. I was curious if the 60902 would work to totally eliminate the sag (its 1" longer) but never tried it. My airbag when inflated to 30psi increases my height by 1/2" and then when I put my RV on it with 500#, it goes down by about 1" so the net sag loss is about 1/2". U need to inflate the airbag first before putting the RV on it.

The only issue I have with it is the air leakage. Mine does leak a couple of psi each day for me, and I think that's because I didn't install one of the clamps properly. On my first air bag install, i failed to use the small clamp on the hose which connects to the airbag. In my excitement of getting it into the springs, I missed that step but clamped all the other connection points. I had put the line on already and it was way too tight to pull it off. I'll go back and do that when I have time. My RV TPMS sensor had extra sensors so I added it to the valve to monitor it. I've never seen it deflate while towing, it seems to lose air when only when vehicle is stationary overnight.

The protector at top- I experimented with different materials including hockey pucks. You need to find something that will support thousands of lbs without breaking. I ended up picking up the the 60904 kit which includes two kinds of 3.5" wide rubber protector. One kind had a small center hole and I just using that. Q7 springs are 3.5" wide but if u buy a 3.5" kit, I don't think u can fit the 3.5" airbag in. I did contact air lift support and they sent me some protectors but the center hole was too big.

Air line- the Q7 has holes in the bottom of the spring which I routed the airline thru there and to the tow hitch, u have to be careful not to get it near the exhaust system otherwise you'll melt the air lines. No drilling required, just twist ties to secure the air line to the vehicle.

airbag Installation- Jack the car up, remove the tire, deflate and squeeze the airbag until its flat as possible, and insert between springs. Route air line thru bottom of hole at bottom of spring.

Airlift also sells an auto inflation kit, I never got one because I would have to figure out how to get power to kit and route wiring to the back fuse box. I just manually inflate when I need it. If I have time, I may get one after I figure out how to power it.

I hope that's enough detail for u.

g/l
You might be better off taking power from the trailer. Or you could steal it inline from the trailer wire connection... just an idea.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
You might be better off taking power from the trailer. Or you could steal it inline from the trailer wire connection... just an idea.
Yeah, i thought of taking it from the trailer connection but I suspect the Q7 doesn't provide a constant 12V output power to the trailer. Audi does something strange in the 7-pin and there's something fishy going on with the power. When I hook up a multimeter, it doesn't give me a constant 12V. It fluctuates. When I hook up different trailer 7 pin testers, it never displays the tester lights properly. And I know to set my multimeter to DC mode. Since I can't explain my power situation, I was hesitant to add a motor onto the load. That's why i thought the best option was to wire it to the fuse box. I was hoping to find some good youtube videos on Q7 wiring or how to wire a new 7-pin connector to the fuse box so i can trace the path.

Also, I don't get enough power to my backup RV Camera which is on the same circuit as the RV LED lights which I think gets power from the 7 pin tail light. I thought it was the camera at first until I hooked up a multimeter and I don't get 12V. I had to hook up a voltage booster to get my backup camera to power properly.

It might be my 2017 Q7 but its just weird when I measure power output. I prob have to find some time to take a look to see what's going on with the Aux power and the tail light power.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Pk_2018
Thanks! What was the tongue weight in your setup?
No idea
Old 08-19-2020, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi I am in australia have q7 3ltr tdi tow 3ton rv have air lift airbags directlink electric brake controller have wdh and sway all in one been towing since new 2018 best car ever had toyota chev gmc but audi leaves them for dead been towing over 30 yrs noticed someone else with rv hooked up he needs to fit airbags as rear is too low
Old 08-19-2020, 11:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

you would be best to take wiring direct from camera to monitor on dash I also have camera on both sides of rv at wheels and have quad screen monitor which is better than towing mirrors
Old 08-20-2020, 12:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default air bags

Originally Posted by Pk_2018
Thanks for responding. Can you please provide some details on airbag installation? How much does it cost? Does it void warranty? Will audi dealers do it?
if you are in usa go to summit racing i got them to send to au and fitted them myself very easy job but you need hoist
Old 08-20-2020, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone for the response so far. I have one more problem now. I got the prodigy RF brake controller but having trouble pairing it. I go upto the step P.A. but after that when i press brake pedal nothing happens. It stays on P.A. for sometime then changes to n.c. Never goes to 0.0. Is there any tricks i can follow to make it work?
Old 08-20-2020, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

n.c. means "not connected", have you hooked up the trailer?
Old 08-20-2020, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MoInEd
n.c. means "not connected", have you hooked up the trailer?
Yes, it still stays as n.c. even after connected to trailer. Everything else works on the trailer like indicator and lights. Just the brake does not work.

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi Q7 Towing